WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Rarely in the wild - EXCEPT....car dealerships. I’ve never NOT had a mention at a car dealership when dealing with sales staff if I’m wearing a Rolex. That said - those instances were with a TT Bluesy or Daytona - both of which I no longer have. I wonder if a vintage GMT on strap would get the same attention.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Buddy of mine at work that has an S&G got asked if it was an invicta lol.

The only comment I’ve has on my BBR was from my 2.5 year old daughter who said “nice watch”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,527 Posts
The Sub is so common that comments are rare. When they happen, it always goes like this... “Is that a Rolex?” and always followed by “How much?”

Someone asked once if my now sold Tudor BB was a fake Rolex. :-d

I’ve had lots of comments on my Daytona, especially in the West LA area, including ones from a supermodel, who was wearing hers, and from an actor, known to collect and had on a vintage non-PN Daytona.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
... And if so what were you wearing?

Would be interested in hearing some stories!
Only once. I was wearing my Sub, and the fellow struck up a conversation with me for the purpose of telling me how much of a waste of money Rolex (and watches in general) are.

Fun times.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
212 Posts
The only people who have commented on my Black Bay blue or my Tudor GMT have been AD salespeople.

The general public? Never. Never ever.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
I remember a few years ago, I was wearing my newly acquired Rolex DSSD to work.
One of my more observant students noticed, and asked, 'Is that a real Rolex, Sir'?
Proudly, I replied 'It is indeed'.
He quipped, 'Oh, my Mother was wondering why the fee's had increased again'!

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
In my local bar last week sat at the bar. One of the other regulars sat next to me asked if my DeepSea was real. I must get myself a nice watch was his next statement. Same pub, different day and another regular asked if I was wearing an Omega Moonwatch, he gave the same next line. I generally wear long sleeve sweatshirts and been going in there for 8 years and nobody ever noticed apart from one of the bar guys who asked me if he could have my DSSD in a trade for his Planet Ocean. Nobody cares.
I checked into a hotel in the UK a couple of years ago and the very attractive receptionist said to me ‘nice watch’ on noticing my DeepSea UNDER my jacket cuff! Harpy.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yesterday, I was in line at a department store and the people in front of me said “nice watch” to the cashier. It was a fashion watch that had an all fake diamonds on the bezel, dial, and all through the bracelet. A $100 dollar watch that would cost half a million if all those chunks of glass were real diamonds. As I stepped up to pay for my shirts, he looked at my wrist and said “now that’s a nice watch”. I was wearing my rhodium Yacht-Master. I just smiled and said thanks.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Outside of AD environments...

Tudor Black Bay Noir got a few "that is a thick watch!" and "Is that a (fake) Rolex?" questions.

My wife once asked if a saleslady commented on my Explorer 1 because we were at a Rolex AD and she was making fun of my cheaper brand watch.

I took a coworker out to dinner with my wife, who discreetly inquired about my DaytonaC. She said "speaking of watches, I once got to check out a Rolex up close. What a nice watch!"

Grocery cashier once said "Now look at that. What a beautiful watch in person!" to my DaytonaC and showed me her Victorinox.

A co-worker once asked if I was wearing a green sub and showed me his 5-digit sub.

By far, more people seem to notice and have give positive comments on my 2018 blue SMPc.

Goes to reinforce only people into watches know and recognize luxury watches, which is a very very small minority.

·
Registered
107 Posts
mentioned this here somewhere.
co-worker. girl. Spoilt little b.
Saw my vintage sub and ever since that day, started being very friendly to me. She ain't a gold digger but just very spoilt (rich family kid)

·
Registered
31,976 Posts
I've increasingly got a few on my BLNR; had it nearly 3 years and in the past 6ish months gotten compliments on it. Green Sub also gets a fair bit of compliments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was in the Orlando airport last week and sat at the bar to grab a beer. The gentleman to my right had on an Omega Seamaster and the gentleman to his right had on a Breitling.

I casually leaned over and complimented him on his Seamaster (I really like them) and he quickly replied back saying “Nice Rolex...I noticed that when you sat down.” I was wearing my DJ 41 on jubilee.

It began a pretty interesting 30 minute conversation on watches before we had to head to our respective gates.

I have probably had 4-5 comments just this past year. A couple on my white OP39 and a few on my DJ41. Haven’t had any in my Explorer 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,527 Posts
Only once. I was wearing my Sub, and the fellow struck up a conversation with me for the purpose of telling me how much of a waste of money Rolex (and watches in general) are.

Fun times.

Regards,
Alysandir
That reminds me. Had some guy lecture me in the “trappings of excess” a few months back after seeing my Rolex.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Once, this guy thought my Tudor heritage is a Submariner (they are not even close in design or color).

Other than that, nope; i get more comments on my other watches.

·
Premium Member
29,743 Posts
... And if so what were you wearing?

Would be interested in hearing some stories!
Yes. On a few occasions in most recent memory. Once in a car dealership when a fellow car buyer & watch WIS asked me about the Submariner that I was wearing, He is a Seiko guy and we had a good chat about watches. Another time was when a sales man in an electronics store asked me about my Air King. He had seen a lot of Submariner but never an Air King in the wild.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Personally I’d prefer others to not notice and usually wear long sleeve tops or hoodies. I am constantly telling my son to pull his jacket over his watch and not make himself a target for thieving [email protected]@@s. It’s happened all too often that people get mugged for nice watches. Saying that, when I was traveling a lot I frequented some pretty rough places and never had any grief. I used to wear my watch facing inward when out on the beer. The problem today is that the internet has informed too many undesirables how much is available on peoples wrists.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I will tread carefully responding to this (I think). One of the reasons I sold my sea dweller was the amount of "is that real" and "how much was that" remarks. Anticipating "you go to the wrong places" remarks, you may be right but I mix in all sorts of circles and you would be surprised at which events/places that I received these comments. I even got accused of having a fake as it didn't have "the date bubble" on a sea dweller! I got the feeling it was generally spotted by people with zero interest in watches ie the type of people who look into an AD window for a few seconds to point out the most expensive watch. In contrast, I was sat at a marina and a fireman came up to me and politely said "did I spot a planet ocean on your wrist". He was really nice and we chatted about watches for ages and he shook my hand and said "look after your Planet ocean". Another time that stood out was I was at a sailing regatta and there was a Corum stand. I had a quick look and the saleswoman spotted my Admirals cup Seamaster chrono and suggested I look at their Admirals cup offerings. Great sales pitch from her but she did well to spot the watch as it wasn't particularly well known. She even let me borrow a watch for me to wind up my friends in the bar next to the stand. No deposit or name, she just let me take it away. I also had someone come up to me mentioning my Black bay as he the same watch and was shocked to see another one in the wild. Again, we ended up chatting about watches and his car (old MG) and it transpired he knew the dealer that has sold me a couple of watches over the years. Most recently I was in the opticians trying on glasses and the optician spotted my AT and said "I hope you dont mind me saying but I love that watch, what make is that?" He was clueless about watches and admitted he never looked at watches but really loved the look of mine. He also asked the price and was genuinely horrified as I said "about 4" and he thought I was talking hundred. So, I guess I've had better experiences with other brands than Rolex. The worst experience I had was with a Breitling crosswind Chrono with the highly polished bracelet and gold riders on the bezel. Bad choice of watch really but I wore it to a concert at Wembley in the summer (short sleeves) and spent the day in central london. Got on the tube with standing room only and my arm was looked through the handles. I spotted someone tilt their head to read the dial, a quick look of shock and he walked off down the train. A couple of minutes later he was back beside me with a (bigger scary) friend. For a couple of seconds I was really worried but I didnt have any problems but I was prepared for a spot of trouble so nowadays im more conscious of pairing watch to location.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.