• Undecided

Votes: 26 19.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would go ahead and open the "can of worms" further. Imagine scrolling through the channels on restless night and happening to come across shopNBC selling Omega Watches. Tauting what a bargain! Do not miss out on this one! 6 value pays! You will never see Rolex on shopNBC, this is one of the big things in my opinion that separate the two brands. Not that Omega is an inferior watch, but I feel this cheapens the brand name.

http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?fami...pping-_-Engine-

(unable to locate the exact one I saw, it was a Seamaster with tons of "bling")

There is the argument that Rolex is over priced, but it is the tactics of the "Rolex Machine" that keeps the brand name so strong. Omega could take some notes. I am NOT arguing one is better than the other, but Rolex leads the pack in branding hence the prices they fetch.

·
Registered
670 Posts
No, I don't think they have lost their way. They are doing some interesting things with their co-axial movements and are chugging along as usual.

That watch on Shop NBC is a "grey market watch" ...so it wasn't supplied by Omega. If you look at the website, it indicates that the warranty is provided by Sterling Time and not via Omega. This could happen to any watch brand, so I don't think it has anything to do with Omega selling out.

To put it in perspective....our local Costco carries Omega, Rolex (they have a submariner) and IWC. They are all grey market watches and are not authorized to be selling them by the respective manufacturers.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No, I don't think they have lost their way. They are doing some interesting things with their co-axial movements and are chugging along as usual.

That watch on Shop NBC is a "grey market watch" ...so it wasn't supplied by Omega. If you look at the website, it indicates that the warranty is provided by Sterling Time and not via Omega. This could happen to any watch brand, so I don't think it has anything to do with Omega selling out.

To put it in perspective....our local Costco carries Omega, Rolex (they have a submariner) and IWC. They are all grey market watches and are not authorized to be selling them by the respective manufacturers.
No actually it could not happen to any brand, you will never find MASS quantities of Rolex's being sold on shopNBC because Rolex audits and runs a tight ship (for the good and bad). They will never get thier hands on them and would not be able to discount 30% off like Omega. Costco in the states does not sell grey market, hence no Rolex. Secondly, you said they have a "Rolex", guarentee it is not considered brand new.

The web is crawling with grey market Omega's, not Rolex. Pre owned yes, unlike Omega's brand new.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I think Omega is losing its way to a degree, by jacking the prices up to meet Rolex's and abandoning the more affordable level where they've been for so long. For as long as Omega uses ETA with go-faster stripes, enthusiasts will regard Omega as something of a charlatan (no, a different escapement does not count!) at these prices. Even the Hour Vision is priced higher than established Rolex and Jaeger competition.

This may be part of Swatch's strategy (to fill the gap with Longines, whose substantial heritage is pretty much unknown to the 30-something buyers in Omega's sights) but it's dangerous to screw with the goodwill associated with the Omega brand.

Omega inflated the prices of its bread-and-butter range by 25-30% recently - watches whose R&D was paid off years ago and which cost peanuts to produce - and is about to put a whole range of Seamaster buyers off. So yes, I think Omega is in danger losing its way.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I've been told directly and indirectly many a time in here what a total putz I am for owning a Rolex.
Oftentimes by Omega afficionados.
As much as I'd dearly love to return the favor I'll decline.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I think Omega will alienate many potential buyers by the recent price hikes, which I've read on several occasions are simply due to a strategic repositioning of the brand image; the price increases do indeed seem to be rather more than general market trends. And Omega are about to drop what I think are some classic designs in the Seamaster range. Neither of these decisions seems to make much sense to me.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
IMHO, Omega never had "Its Way". Years ago they got lucky with a leaky Speedmaster, no pressure difference when subject to a vacuum (because a Speedmaster is good for handwashing, if you're careful!). They win the NASA watch bake-off with a crusty sealed Speedy that had been in the dealer's window for a couple of years and the legend is born. Next they start with the Limited Editions, say 10,007 of them :-d. Now they tart up a Swatch movement, call it in-house (like ETA isn't in-house) and claim they're going up market. Omega is just cashing in on the lastest fad, used to be LE's, now it's alleged "in-house" movements :-!

Still love my PO:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
They once made fuctional and attactive watches like this:

Why did they feel the need to change it?

·
Registered
479 Posts
All brands go through price adjustments from time to time, Omega is no different then any other brand, Sinn had a price increase not to long ago, as did Breitling a while back as well. I have no problem with Omega, I still like the majority of their models especially the aqua terra, but I do like the planet ocean, speedmaster, and others.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Costco does sell Rolex here in the states. My dad and friend have them. They bought them at Costco. I was there. My friend got the submariner about ten years ago. Recently it started picking up 5 minutes a day. He took it to the local Rolex dealer who after 500.00 still hadn't fix it. He then decided to try Costcos watch repair in Seattle. He emailed, got the info. and sent it off. Two week later and at no charge he recieved it back and it had a complete service, adjustment and a NEW band (braclet), the old one was severly scratched and included in a plastic bag; he owns a concrete company and wears it to work every day. That was last April and its keeping good time again. Needless to say I buy ALL my watches there.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I've been told directly and indirectly many a time in here what a total putz I am for owning a Rolex.
Ah Tragic, I like your comment!:-d

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I'll join you on the Rolex high road...although I will say that I would buy a Seamaster Pro tommorow (perhaps my favorite dial/hands combo on any dive watch) if they would only take that pointless HEV crown off of the thing.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Isn't it the case case that a lot of so called "big brands"have lost their way?
And as for in-house movements, even Hublot calls their Big Bang movements "in-house" .
Isn't that the house of a certain company that makes in-house movements for a lot of companies :-s.

Cheers,

Daddel.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Costco does sell Rolex here in the states. My dad and friend have them. They bought them at Costco. I was there. My friend got the submariner about ten years ago. Recently it started picking up 5 minutes a day. He took it to the local Rolex dealer who after 500.00 still hadn't fix it. He then decided to try Costcos watch repair in Seattle. He emailed, got the info. and sent it off. Two week later and at no charge he recieved it back and it had a complete service, adjustment and a NEW band (braclet), the old one was severly scratched and included in a plastic bag; he owns a concrete company and wears it to work every day. That was last April and its keeping good time again. Needless to say I buy ALL my watches there.
They do not where I live, nor on their website, but Omega is sold in thier online store.

·
Registered
39,218 Posts
:think: Looking at the master catalog for the last several years, it looks like
complete confusion. There're trying to be everything to everyone and
cover every nitch. Not a good business plan. <|

1 - 20 of 118 Posts