1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Bulova 96C142, Casio LCW-M100TSE-1A2ER
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These would be:
  • Minute, hour, second, date and weekday display
  • Annual calendar (not necessarily perpetual)
  • Stopwatch (chronograph) with split (rattrapante). Minimum 1-hour duration.
  • Alarm
  • Hourly beep (chime)
  • Countdown timer
  • World time (GMT)
I've been able to find combinations of some or many of the above, but seems a countdown timer on a mechanical watch is exceedingly rare, and while chronographs are common, alarms are quite uncommon.

·
Premium Member
11,796 Posts
For countdown timer, the only watch i am aware of is the Rolex YM2. But maximum 10 minutes. I would suppose the Omega SM Apnea could also function as one for 7 minutes/14 minutes.

What would be more common would be the countdown bezel.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
It is almost impossible to do mechanically (all at the same time).

For example, just a simple alarm (chime) is a complicated (no pun intended) one all by itself. A mechanism that chimes at a predestined time is not only complex to design and execute mechanically, but also the use of the main spring attached to something that does the chiming takes (relatively) a lot of force requiring the design to take into account how the force stored (by winding) in the barrel is used for the chime. Then there are also the vibrations that are caused which need to be taken into account in the movement design. And that is only for the simple alarm function.

·
Registered
709 Posts
That new JLC has about 900 functions. Not sure many people would talk about it in the same sentence as a G-Shock though.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Here's one of the few countdown chronos. A seriously special watch.

Reactions: LMF5000

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
For countdown timer, the only watch i am aware of is the Rolex YM2. But maximum 10 minutes. I would suppose the Omega SM Apnea could also function as one for 7 minutes/14 minutes.
The Panerai Luminor Regatta Chrono Flyback (PAM00652) has (although, I think it's been discontinued) a 15 minute countdown timer, after which if not stopped starts counting up:

PAM00652 - Luminor Regatta Chrono Flyback - 47mm

Of course, it's missing a number of (well, most of) the other features desired.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I can't imagine a mechanical watch that would have world time, stopwatch, countdown timer chime, hourly chime, multiple 24hour alarms and perpetual calendar displaying the day, date, month and year all in one. Even if they could keep the thickness to a manageable level there wouldn't be space to fit all the required hands and subdials.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That's your fifth post about the countdown timer - everything OK chap? 😄
I think the point is that countdown timers are pretty uncommon on mechanicals. (Even countdown bezels are not exactly common.) It's really kind of surprising, to me at least, that only a handful of regatta watches have countdown timers and those are fairly restrictive since they are only designed to time race starts which is typically a 10 minute period. You'd think someone would have implemented a general chronograph style watch that with either pushers or some crown position would allow you to set the minute counters negative by an arbitrary amount.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I can't imagine a mechanical watch that would have world time, stopwatch, countdown timer chime, hourly chime, 24hour alarm and perpetual calendar displaying the day, date, month and year all in one. Even if they could keep the thickness to a manageable level there wouldn't be space to fit all the required hands and subdials.
It would be a very expensive watch. I mean, it's practically a Grand Complication with a few other complications thrown in.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is almost impossible to do mechanically (all at the same time).

For example, just a simple alarm (chime) is a complicated (no pun intended) one all by itself. A mechanism that chimes at a predestined time is not only complex to design and execute mechanically, but also the use of the main spring attached to something that does the chiming takes (relatively) a lot of force requiring the design to take into account how the force stored (by winding) in the barrel is used for the chime. Then there are also the vibrations that are caused which need to be taken into account in the movement design. And that is only for the simple alarm function.
An alarm doesn't seem that difficult to implement. Every mechanical alarm clock I've ever disassembled has had one. They just have a perforated disc that turns with the alarm time indicator, and a toothed gear that turns with the hour hand. When the hour aligns with the alarm time indicator the pin aligns with the perforation and the gear displaces a few milimeters upwards, and that unlocks the alarm mechanism and makes it start ringing. It might be slightly simpler than a wristwatch mechanism as it uses a separate mainspring for power and thickness isn't so critical. For an hourly chime I imagine it could be done by having a disc with 12 perforations and a similar idea driven by the alignment of the hour hand.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't imagine a mechanical watch that would have world time, stopwatch, countdown timer chime, hourly chime, multiple 24hour alarms and perpetual calendar displaying the day, date, month and year all in one. Even if they could keep the thickness to a manageable level there wouldn't be space to fit all the required hands and subdials.
I wasn't really thinking of one of the more advanced g-shocks with 5 alarms, just a basic one. You could have a conventional chronograph layout with hour and minute hand and real-time seconds hand on the subdial at 6-o-clock, use the big sweep second hand for the chronograph seconds as usual and have a subdial for the chronograph minutes and hours. Maybe two hands on this subdial so it simultaneously indicates both the minutes and the hours for the chronograph instead of having them on separate subdials as usually done with chronographs. A fourth hand under the hour hand could perform the dual-time function (GMT). Alarm could be either a subdial, or on the back of the watch like usually done on ultra-complicated watches (you'd have alarm time alongside the alarm on/off indicator, hourly signal/chime on/off indicator, and power reserve indicators for the main and alarm mainsprings). Lastly you'd need a subdial for the countdown timer with a minute hand that you set, and a second hand that counts down. Then for day, date and month you can simply have windows with rotating paper discs underneath. So in all you're looking at 3 windows, 4 hands and 4 subdials (or 3 subdials plus back of the watch).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts