WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own the Aquaracer 500 with ceramic bezel, WAK2110. I've owned the watch for 6 months. Recently, I've had to wind my watch once every three or four days because I've not been as active and the power reserve therefore gets exhausted more quickly than before. I mention this fact just in case it's relevant.

Twice now, in the past two weeks, I've noticed that the crown comes undone. I don't think the crown stem's been stripped since it screws back in perfectly fine. Now, I thought that it may be because the crown is being unwound by rubbing against the back of my hand. The first time it happened, it was after having worn the watch to bed a few nights. Who knows what one does when one's asleep, so it seemed plausible to me that the crown was unwound like that without my notice. But last night, just as I was about to give it a good wind, I noticed that the crown had popped out again. I hadn't been wearing the watch to bed at all recently. Is it possible that during the course of wearing the watch for three or so days that the crown has been unwound by too much contact with the back of one's hand. In fact, when I try to get contact with the back of my hand there just isn't enough traction for this to seem plausible. Another relevant fact may be that the crown logo no longer locks at the position it used to. The bottom of the log used to lock in at the 9 o'clock position. It now no longer turns past the 7 o'clock position. Not at all sure whether that's relevant.

So what's an alternative explanation? The only other explanation that I can come up with is that I'm witnessing the start of the stem stripping. Has this ever happened to any of you with this particular model--and, if so, what was the cause?

I've found no accounts of crown thread stripping on the WAK2110. And I don't want to stir up any panic. I purchased it from an AD and I still have 1.5 years left on the warranty. And let me again emphasize, the crown screws back in fine.

I would just like some explanation of what might be causing this to happen, whether anyone else has had this experience with this particular model--or, for that matter, with any model featuring a screw-in crown.

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
Key question is How many turns do you 'achieve' from when the two threads first successfully 'catch' until the crown is screwed in fully ?

Can you use your fingernails to pull the crown open from a fully closed position?, threads in good condition should hold perfectly well, worn/partially stripped might allow it. You can try this at a few points near the fully closed position.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Key question is How many turns do you 'achieve' from when the two threads first successfully 'catch' until the crown is screwed in fully ?

Can you use your fingernails to pull the crown open from a fully closed position?, threads in good condition should hold perfectly well, worn/partially stripped might allow it. You can try this at a few points near the fully closed position.
After the threads catch, the crown can be turned for around three or so full revolutions. That's normal and nothing's changed. And, no, the crown cannot be detached with fingernails once fully sealed.

What makes this a mystery to me is that it seems perfectly fine, yet the crown winds up undone somehow. And it's only been in the last two weeks that this has happened.

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
More likely then that it's gradually unrolling itself , you'll need to either:

A: Tighten it up just a tiny bit more, not much and not over-tighten that's for sure!, just a little bit more
B: Monitor it's position more frequently

or both ;-)​

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More likely then that it's gradually unrolling itself , you'll need to either:

A: Tighten it up just a tiny bit more, not much and not over-tighten that's for sure!, just a little bit more
B: Monitor it's position more frequently

or both ;-)
OK. But what would cause it to unroll like that? Is that a common occurrence? And keep in mind, this has only been happening the last couple of weeks; and I've been wearing it everyday for the past 6 months.

·
Banned
7,819 Posts
I'm just surmising because there aren't any other options really.

You've just confirmed the threads hold , it is spring loaded so depending on the shape and size of crown - and tightness of strap/bracelet against your wrist, adjacent skin could well be the only sane cause...:)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Since you say the thread revolutions are the same but the crown is now tightening in a different place there is a posibility the crown tube is turning in the watch case (it is a friction fit) or the crown is loose on the stem (a very fine thread that may be stripped).

·
Registered
243 Posts
More or less the same problem occurred with my CAW2111 and I had to spend £600+ at ernest jones to fix it including service. No offence to all Tag lovers, I really like Tag's sexy designs but I wear them occasionally with a fear of damaging it (though I handle/wear all my watches very carefully), therefore my daily watch is either Omega speedmaster or Panerai (at least they are strong and can handle the weight of my arm/wrist while I am typing on a computer in my office) :D

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Does it unwind fully and pop out completely every time this happens or does it just come loose?

And you wear it every day and still have to wind it? I am currently wearing the WAK2110 as my daily watch (for about a week now) and I am used to the 7750 as a daily wearer and it never ever needed to be manually wound in addition to wearing it on the wrist for 6-10 hours per day. Does the SW200 wind so slowly on the wrist that it actually runs out of power even if worn daily?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does it unwind fully and pop out completely every time this happens or does it just come loose?

And you wear it every day and still have to wind it? I am currently wearing the WAK2110 as my daily watch (for about a week now) and I am used to the 7750 as a daily wearer and it never ever needed to be manually wound in addition to wearing it on the wrist for 6-10 hours per day. Does the SW200 wind so slowly on the wrist that it actually runs out of power even if worn daily?
Yes, I think it unscrews fully then pops out. I mean, if it is in fact unscrewing. My fear is that it just pops out by itself for some reason.

Recently, as I mentioned in my original post, I have not been as active, and I noticed that the watch just stops at some point. So I wind it once every three or four days. It has a 38 hour power reserve, so I think that's normal. I have a desk job and I've not been taking my daily walks recently because it's been rather cold. If you are active enough, or you have a job that involves a lot of movement, you shouldn't have to worry about it. When I was more active--the first five months or so--I never had to wind it except when adjusting the time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
OK. But what would cause it to unroll like that? Is that a common occurrence? And keep in mind, this has only been happening the last couple of weeks; and I've been wearing it everyday for the past 6 months.
Exposure to excessive vibrations could cause this. Making sure it's screwed in snug is the key.

·
Registered
35,702 Posts
Answering a question posed eight years ago from someone who left the forum five years ago 🤔

Reactions: jamesbiz
1 - 12 of 12 Posts