WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my 100th post timewatchers!

I have learnt so much about watches through this forum. In fact, I consulted this forum in making all of my main purchases (so far!). I must have read dozens on threads on the Constellation and quartz movements before I got mine. The same research went into my Breguet acquisition, threads on chronographs, the Breguet brand etc. Did these threads influence my purchases? To a certain extent yes.

So my query to you guys to mark my 100th post is this: -

Has your enthusiasm for watches rubbed off on the people around you?

E.g. Is your significant other now into watches because of you? Are your friends/colleagues watch purchases dependent on your opinion?

On my part, my wife never wore a watch and now she has 3 and is already talking about getting more. One of my co-workers who wore only quartz watches is now researching watches with an aim to acquire a mechanical watch - he approached me a few weeks back asking what I thought about Longines... last week he approached me for my opinion on JLC. One of my best friends who is a one-watch man claimed that he'll have to wait till his fashion brand watch breaks down before he can get another, as he would need to justify such an acquisition to his mrs, then the watch suddenly 'broke' under mysterious circumstances the other week and now he wants to get an Omega, Breitling or Rolex diving watch. And all of this because of my enthusiasm and because the watch bug truly is contagious. Not that I push/bully people into watches, it's just that I sometimes talk about it and then they get curious and ask about watch brands in general and before long they're on google doing their own research and then asking for my opinion on specific watches.

Do you find that you have affected people around you in the same way?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yes. Once I bought my third Breitling, Mrs Wessa decided that she wanted a Rolex despite the fact that she has been happy with her Cartier for some years :-(

·
Registered
527 Posts
My wife has nothing but quiet disdain for my interest in collecting watches. I am alone in this in every way. Which I kind of like. Ironically, it was a vintage Citizen alarm model that I inherited from her father that kicked off my collecting...

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Coincidentally, yes. My wife started researching watches on her own shortly after I got hooked and chose 2 mechanicals (Tudor and Rolex) and a quartz piece (Cartier). She loves 'em. A friend of mine had an Invicta Diver for years, just recently we started discussing watches and he asked for a few divers that I thought he might like. Mentioned the usual suspects. He settled on a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, how cool is that? . . . .

Reactions: Fox Covert

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
My wife is very patient with my interest. Have bought her some watches and she uses one daily, mostly Nomos Tangente at the office and Suunto Lumi at home. They look really good on her wrist. ;-)

I've also bought cheap kids quartz watches for both of my children when they started school, they didn't wear them much. Lately I got a ladies Citizen Eco-Drive for my 10 year old daughter, she was very delighted to get "a real grown up's watch". She uses it every now and then, had it on this morning when going to school.

After she got her Citizen, my 11 year son was bit disappointed why he didn't get a new one. So I got him an automatic Citizen NY2300-09G with Pepsi bezel. At first he wasn't so interested, but wore it first time when he needed a watch on a scout trip. OEM rubber strap was very stiff, so I put on a blue striped Maratac Zulu. Very good looking combination IMO. Now he's very thrilled about it, even sleeps with it on the wrist. He wanted to know if WUS has anything about it, and was very impressed when he saw pics of "his watch" in Seiko & Citizen forum. A new WIS in the making. :-d

And I also got one of my friend heavily into watches. He was slightly interested in them, but hadn't made any "real watch" purchases. I supplied some suggestions and info, and off he went big time. Now has way more impressive collection than I do, never would have guessed that level of involvement...

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I'm sure my wife loves me, but, not my watches. I'd rather not say what she said she will do with my watches when i die.

·
Registered
503 Posts
My friends are mildly curious about my watches but I've learned not to talk to much about them when I see their OMG here we go expressions. As regards the wife, well she can't understand why I want more than one! So I hide some of them and when she notices a new one I just tell her its an old one that I don't wear much!

Sent from my SCL22 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
Has your enthusiasm for watches rubbed off on the people around you? [100th P...

My wife never wore a watch until I started really getting into watches myself. Over the past year she has amassed a small collection of nice watches (both auto and quartz) and is snobbish about fashion brands vs real watch companies. I am probably an enabler in this respect, which runs counter to my own interest because it depletes what I thought was my watch fund...

Also, my 2 year old daughter loves watches. I gave her an old broken Seiko that I got for high school graduation and she loves wearing it. She will put it on and then insist my wife and I wear our watches as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
One of my best friends who is a one-watch man claimed that he'll have to wait till his fashion brand watch breaks down before he can get another, as he would need to justify such an acquisition to his mrs, then the watch suddenly 'broke' under mysterious circumstances the other week and now he wants to get an Omega, Breitling or Rolex diving watch.
I expect his watch just walked into a door. Or accidentally fell down the stairs while he was adjusting it. Easily done.

Mrs Bitfield hasn't exactly become a watch fiend since knowing me, though she has gone from 'Why would anyone need to wear a watch?' through 'Why would anyone need more than one watch?' to 'So how many watches did you buy this week?'. She has expressed an interest in my Black Monster, especially when she saw the Dracula variant on the web. Unfortunately when she tried it on it was so gigantic that she looked like a prisoner in a medieval dungeon. So I think if I could find a rather slimmer, more elegant Ladies' Monster that might help.

Other friends are confirmed cellphone time-tellers, though potentially intrigued by smartwatches. Basically, unless you can put apps on it, they're not interested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually, I think my friends and relatives are getting tired of my enthusiasm. When I start talking about the history of Swiss watchmaking, the quartz revolution, ETA movements, etc. I sometimes get a blank stare. Oh well, at least I find it fascinating. (9 watches in 18 months). Maybe I should take up yoga.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes and no. My lady has expressed some interest, but she sees it completely as jewelry. One of my closer friends asked me about my vintage Movado one day and became fascinated. I think he's shopping for a MK II speedy now.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
You can buy them books....
Send them to school....
They will still eat the covers off the books!
Answer is no.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Re: Has your enthusiasm for watches rubbed off on the people around you? [100th P...

Some of my larger watches 'go missing' some days and reappear on my boyfriend's bedside table when he's getting ready for bed. It's a strange coincidence ;-)

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Re: Has your enthusiasm for watches rubbed off on the people around you? [100th P...

My partner wore watches before she met me, so I guess she is susceptible to begin with. She got more into watches because of me, but she's not as nuts as me. She likes the two watches that I bought for her so far. It's a contagious disease! But my other close family members seem immune. My Dad probably had the disease before, but he was cured somewhere along the way. Now I caught it, and it's a chronic condition! :)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
My wife has nothing but quiet disdain for my interest in collecting watches...
I'm in the same boat - My wife has the same attitude and merely tolerates my mania for watches! She has a drawer full of a couple dozen fashion watches to compliment here wardrobe, none of which she paid more than $20 for - When they die, she throws them away. The one nice watch I talked her into buying about 15 years ago, a Cartier Santos two-tone, she only wears about once a year. My brother has worn the same a Swiss Army watch for about 10 years. One of my sons could care less about watches, his cellphone is his watch. My older son does have an interest in watches but can't really afford them. So, he buys <shudder> Parnis watches. One of my nephews wears a TAG Heuer Formula 1 and I think I'll will him my TAGs. None of my current co-workers have any interest but I did have a co-worker about 10 years ago who was into watches. However, it wasn't "Real" watches. He travelled frequently to Asia and had quite a collection of replicas (fakes). I meet another true "WIS" about once or twice a year.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts

Yes and no.
My ravings about Seiko has rubbed off, two of my friends now own JDM Seikos and one of them has been eyeing a Snowflake GS for quite awhile now.
Had a few watch related conversations with another friend's father who has an impressive collection of Rolex, he eventually gave my friend a 14060 and a 16613 Submariner .

My girl on the other hand still thinks all my watches look the same and does not usually wear a watch.

·
Registered
9,416 Posts

Yep - my wife if definitely more into watches now. To the extent that she's almost become a bad influence and nearly persuaded me into buying a couple watches that I really didn't think we should spend the money one (that said, my 321 Speedmaster search is still ongoing).

If you had asked her 3 years ago if she would ever own, and be excited to wear, a $2000, hand wound, mechanical wrist watch... she'd have told you, you were crazy. She had a watch - but it was quartz, convenient, and actually quite nice. It's a whole other level now, though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts