WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

681 - 700 of 728 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Now that I have a kid I am only looking at crossovers or SUVs. I have a 2017 X1 but would LOVE to have a Cayenne. But more realistically probably will end up upgrading to something like a Mazda CX9 or an Acura MDX -- need something that has the option of a 3rd row. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Did I want a Miata as a daily driver in NE weather? No, I haven't gone completely senile and insane yet. But much like adding unlimited garlic herb butter shrimp to any entree for $8.99 at Outback Steakhouse, there are deals in life you just cannot pass up.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I do a lot of road tripping, camping, hiking and fly fishing but I'm not a fan of trucks or SUVs - since 95% of my drives are on freeways, I've happily sacrificed pure off-road capability for on-road refinement. With this in mind, lifted AWD wagons are my vehicles of choice but I prefer something a bit more luxe than an Outback.

My first AWD wagon was a gen 1 Audi allroad. It was supremely capable but so mechanically complicated that maintenance was a nightmare. I unloaded it when the air suspension gave up the ghost for the second time. These days, I drive a Volvo XC70, which I've (slightly) beefed up with off-road capable tires and underbody protection.

I also have a couple of sporty cars from the late 80s/early 90s that I keep around for fun and the occassional jaunt into the canyons and mountain roads that surround LA. I tend to prefer lighter, more "analog" sports car experiences so I gravitate towards vehicles from this period. I have a 1992 VW Corrado SLC, a rare car that features the first implimentation of VW's narrow angle V6 and the first speed-actuated rear spoiler, as far as I know. It's becoming harder and harder to keep on the road due to parts availability. In a town full of 911s, Ferraris and the like, it's funny but true that I get stopped by admirers of obscure cars half the time I drive the thing. I've also got a 1988 BMW 325is (not pictured) that's currently in the shop for a respray. Both cars have manual transmissions, hydraulic steering and limited slip differentials.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Thanks! I'd have probably gone for an R, but they were out of the budget for me. I pretty much just leave it in regular drive most of the time. I'll kick it to sport when I want snappier response and to let it wind out a little more. Don't use manual a whole lot, mostly when I'm driving around empty roads and want to giggle at boosty noises or when I'm "in a hurry". My only criticisms of the the DSG are that it doesn't "fart" like a Porsche PDK/Audi-RS DSG, and that in manual mode it still decides to upshift for me, even before touching the rev limiter.

I hadn't found myself missing driving a manual very much, then driving my buddy's Focus ST a bit recently solidified that. Another friend had a manual Golf R some years ago, and it didn't feel very engaging, like it was just some extra effort for pretty much no extra enjoyment. Way I see it, with as good as modern automatics/dual-clutches are and as insulated and easy as modern manuals are, if I'm going to make the extra effort to row my own gears I want it to require some skill on my end to do it well, and yield a rewarding experience.
I believe if you have it in sport it limits the rpms but just manual does not. It goes all the way to redline. At least on the R that is the case.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Did I want a Miata as a daily driver in NE weather? No, I haven't gone completely senile and insane yet. But much like adding unlimited garlic herb butter shrimp to any entree for $8.99 at Outback Steakhouse, there are deals in life you just cannot pass up.
View attachment 15509865
Nice!
Nothing insane about driving Miata in any weather. I do :)

And yes, it's a stick of course.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I believe if you have it in sport it limits the rpms but just manual does not. It goes all the way to redline. At least on the R that is the case.
Interesting. I’m pretty sure it shifts at redline in either mode, when I was at the strip it wound out to the same RPM either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Nice!
Nothing insane about driving Miata in any weather. I do :)

And yes, it's a stick of course.
Sweet NA! 👍🍻 I really like the Miata community, everyone is friendly, and mini meetups even happen randomly at work sometimes.

Reactions: SolarPower

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Reactions: SolarPower

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
Looking good! One for the Mrs. perhaps? ;)

couple miatas myself. A 96, NA and an 04 MSM
Very nice! I have a particularly soft spot for anything MS, as my first car was a first gen Mazdaspeed3. And I'm just realizing that I now own another Mazda... believe it or not it wasn't until I literally, just now, typed this sentence that I put two and two together. 😓🤕

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Looking good! One for the Mrs. perhaps? ;)

Very nice! I have a particularly soft spot for anything MS, as my first car was a first gen Mazdaspeed3. And I'm just realizing that I now own another Mazda... believe it or not it wasn't until I literally, just now, typed this sentence that I put two and two together.
I too have a soft spot for MS. My first fun car was a mazdaspeed protege. I was smitten over that car for years. Everyone always remembers their first.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I absolutely love my current generation Honda Ridgeline! All the amenities I want, very comfortable interior and ride, and the convenience of a bed (with trunk) for hauling and fold up rear seats for the pups.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
I absolutely love my current generation Honda Ridgeline! All the amenities I want, very comfortable interior and ride, and the convenience of a bed (with trunk) for hauling and fold up rear seats for the pups.
Very nice truck (if we forget about what real US truck supposed to be)! Have it in the family and it is absolutely unique in a good sense.
Pics of the pets are a must! :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
My only criticisms of the the DSG are that it doesn't "fart" like a Porsche PDK/Audi-RS DSG.
I believe the shift ‘fart’ was mapped out on the mk 7.5, as my mk7 definitely farts on upshift, in all modes. Especially In manual when it’s warm. I think it was something to do with catalytic converters getting ruined and replaced under warranty that prompted it

·
Registered
159 Posts
Very nice truck (if we forget about what real US truck supposed to be)! Have it in the family and it is absolutely unique in a good sense.
Pics of the pets are a must! :)
Agreed! I came from a full-size prior and thought I might miss it. Not even once over the last few years.

My babes!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I believe the shift ‘fart’ was mapped out on the mk 7.5, as my mk7 definitely farts on upshift, in all modes. Especially In manual when it’s warm. I think it was something to do with catalytic converters getting ruined and replaced under warranty that prompted it
I could see that. It doesn’t upshift as fast, or downshift as smooth as what I’ve experienced in other VAG dual-clutch cars.

Either way, I’ll be doing a trans tune eventually, just a matter of figuring out if I want to void the 72k mile bumper to bumper warranty that came with it being a ‘19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

681 - 700 of 728 Posts