WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
β | Ω | ♛ | 🌹 | ★
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My older son recently graduated from college and I gave him a choice to pick any watch in my collection as a graduation gift/21st birthday gift...he chose my 114060 Sub. I’m very proud of the young man he’s become and I felt it was time for him to have a proper watch.

Later that day I asked my younger son (17 years old) which watch from my collection he would choose when he graduates from college. I thought for sure he’d choose my YM. He chose my BB58. When I asked him why he said “the black dial, the gold indices, the red triangle, the size....it’s just a classic. And you always wear that watch, Dad - it reminds me of you”. I almost gave the little bastard my BB58 on the spot :)

Have any of you given your children one of your watches?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
That was jolly nice of you. I like the sound of your son in choosing the BB. I dont have kids but a friend of mine asked me for advice on buying his son a decent watch for a landmark celebration. Cant remember what it was offhand but it could be 21st. I came up with a few options and even got him a couple of good deals but another friend of mine said it would be better to ask the son as "kids" of that age dont appreciate watches as they use their phones or have an apple watch. This horrified me but in this case he was right. The son basically said "who spends thousands on a watch, it doesnt make sense" which is a bit depressing from my point of view but that generation have different parameters. As an example, theyre more likely to be happy about spending £80PM on their phone which horrifies me. It nice to know there are still 21 year olds out there that appreciate and enjoy mechanical watches. Look after your BB58, your son deserves that watch!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I’m midway through sourcing a 14060M or a 5513 for my son when he turns 18. If I can’t find the right one then I was going to settle for a 6 dig but after trying one on It just didn’t feel right.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I've worn Rolex Steel-Sports for over 40 years and had a standard Submariner-Date, followed by a white dialed Explorer-II in the mid-90's.
In 2015 I told my twin daughters they could choose any new Rolex I'd buy for them.
However, they both wanted my old watches, so I sent them in to RSC for complete servicing and they wear them full-time every day.

I started buying new Rolexes because I like the new bracelets and clasps WAY more than the old stuff.
My AD knows I don't flip and offers me lots of good stuff, but sometimes I feel a bit top-heavy if-you-will; since I usually wear only one watch for months or years at a time.
I unloaded my excess onto my son (shown below) who really enjoys them, and I actually enjoy seeing them on him than me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not yet but plan on doing so. Could be a graduation gift or wedding. Maybe both. I've got a long way to go since my first born is only 7 months old right now

·
Registered
447 Posts
I gave my older son my Tudor Submariner 9401/0 when he graduated college (a service academy) my younger son is getting a degree in accounting as his undergrad and he is getting my Tudor Jumbo Oysterdate.
sergio's sub 94010.jpg
tudor jop.jpg

·
Registered
β | Ω | ♛ | 🌹 | ★
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That was jolly nice of you. I like the sound of your son in choosing the BB. I dont have kids but a friend of mine asked me for advice on buying his son a decent watch for a landmark celebration. Cant remember what it was offhand but it could be 21st. I came up with a few options and even got him a couple of good deals but another friend of mine said it would be better to ask the son as "kids" of that age dont appreciate watches as they use their phones or have an apple watch. This horrified me but in this case he was right. The son basically said "who spends thousands on a watch, it doesnt make sense" which is a bit depressing from my point of view but that generation have different parameters. As an example, theyre more likely to be happy about spending £80PM on their phone which horrifies me. It nice to know there are still 21 year olds out there that appreciate and enjoy mechanical watches. Look after your BB58, your son deserves that watch!
Thank you and yes it is somewhat rare to hear young people still into watches with the prevalence of smart phones. But I’ve always tried to teach them to be old school gentlemen...know how to drive a stick, how to dress proper when required, tie a tie, listen to vinyl, appreciate a quality time piece, and so on. So this is kind of my fault :)

I’m midway through sourcing a 14060M or a 5513 for my son when he turns 18. If I can’t find the right one then I was going to settle for a 6 dig but after trying one on It just didn’t feel right.
I wanted to get him a birth year 14060m (1999) but he always loved my 114060. It wasn’t getting much wrist time from me since I bought the YM 126622, so it was an easy decision.

My eldest son likes watches,I’ve given him three so far.
Love hearing that my children aren’t the only ones who’ve been afflicted with the watch bug :)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
my kids haven't reached milestones yet however, I have given them (or they have taken) the usual start watches such s G-Shocks, Bostok's, etc....

·
Registered
β | Ω | ♛ | 🌹 | ★
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've worn Rolex Steel-Sports for over 40 years and had a standard Submariner-Date, followed by a white dialed Explorer-II in the mid-90's.
In 2015 I told my twin daughters they could choose any new Rolex I'd buy for them.
However, they both wanted my old watches, so I sent them in to RSC for complete servicing and they wear them full-time every day.

I started buying new Rolexes because I like the new bracelets and clasps WAY more than the old stuff.
My AD knows I don't flip and offers me lots of good stuff, but sometimes I feel a bit top-heavy if-you-will; since I usually wear only one watch for months or years at a time.
I unloaded my excess onto my son (shown below) who really enjoys them, and I actually enjoy seeing them on him than me.

Your daughters, like my younger son, probably preferred a reminder of you - over a new watch. Agreed about your son...I feel the same way seeing my son wear my watch. Thanks for sharing your story.

Not yet but plan on doing so. Could be a graduation gift or wedding. Maybe both. I've got a long way to go since my first born is only 7 months old right now
Congrats! Enjoy it....time flies!

I gave my older son my Tudor Submariner 9401/0 when he graduated college (a service academy) my younger son is getting a degree in accounting as his undergrad and he is getting my Tudor Jumbo Oysterdate.
View attachment 15647809 View attachment 15647810
Congrats on your son’s accomplishment. Two stunning watches!

·
Registered
β | Ω | ♛ | 🌹 | ★
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my kids haven't reached milestones yet however, I have given them (or they have taken) the usual start watches such s G-Shocks, Bostok's, etc....
That‘s how it starts. And who doesn’t lIke G-Shock and Bostok.

Reactions: deepsea03

·
Registered
105 Posts
My daughter has been eyeing this one and even tried it on... good thing it will be another 20 years or so until she gets it .

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Drksaint

·
Registered
504 Posts
Not too long ago, 23 year old son’s dive watch quit. Solar quartz Seiko prospex chronograph - the movement croaked, not sure why. Relatively inexpensive watch, probably better off buying a new one than replacing the movement. He wanted to have a nice-looking watch to wear, mostly wears a Garmin forerunner. I gave him a Seiko solar chrono someone gave me as a gift - 100m water resist, not a dive watch. I never wore it, didn’t like the brown dial, but i did put it on a nice jubilee bracelet. He likes it, but he’s much more interested in the Garmin - expecially that it stores his Spotify playlists and runs them wireless to bluetooth earbuds when he runs, so he can leave the phone home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My daughter will get the no date 14060 and my son the ltd edition panerai.... Means I need to buy another mid to high end watch for myself though

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
β | Ω | ♛ | 🌹 | ★
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My daughter has been eyeing this one and even tried it on... good thing it will be another 20 years or so until she gets it .

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
i thought I’d have more time as well, I mean I’m 46...fairly young to a have a 21 year old son, but time seems to move faster with every passing year.

·
Registered
907 Posts
No children, nor plans for any in the foreseeable future; however, I have made plans for leaving a watch for my nephew.

Reactions: Drksaint

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My father gave me a watch. He purchased a Rolex Explorer 1016 new in 1972 and wore it every day for 28 years, but wore it less and less in the later years. He was updating his will 20 years ago and asked me what I wanted him to leave to me. I told him that there was only one thing - his Rolex watch. I had a lot of sentimental attachment to his watch. Since he wasn't wearing it much then he decided to gift it to me for my birthday that year. It is still the most prized piece in my collection. Someday one of my sons will get this watch.

Then this Christmas I was doing a video chat with one of my sons who is 28 and I noticed that he was wearing a cheap quartz watch, but I said nothing. Later in the call though he mentioned that he wanted to get a new watch that was nicer, dressier than his quartz. I had a decent Victorinox with 2824-2 movement for sale on this forum, so I showed him the watch during our chat and he loved it. That got shipped out to him then. He is also going back to school now to finish his formal education. I told him that if he enjoyed the cheap mechanical Swiss watch that I sent him and found that he wore it frequently, then I would buy him something nicer (probably a Tudor BB58) when he graduated college.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts