WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I made the mistake of buying a used watch online without checking with anybody, and now I'm not sure whether I've bought a fake. This watch purports to be an "H705450" Hamilton Khaki Field watch. I can barely just make out the "ETA-8242-2" markings on the action, and it does tick 4Hz. But I've never seen any Khaki that looks like this online.

Could you please have a look at it for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Looks to me like the 42mm silver dial model. I’m not sure but think it was discontinued some time ago.
Why do you have doubts about its validity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, no strong indication (not that I know of any red flags), it's just that I haven't been able to spot another Khaki that looks like it, that's all. I know there's a huge variety of designs of "Khaki" watches, but I'm just a bit uneasy, that's all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I made the mistake of buying a used watch online without checking with anybody, and now I'm not sure whether I've bought a fake. This watch purports to be an "H705450" Hamilton Khaki Field watch. I can barely just make out the "ETA-8242-2" markings on the action, and it does tick 4Hz. But I've never seen any Khaki that looks like this online.

Could you please have a look at it for me?
and, ofc, by "ETA-8242-2" I meant "ETA 2824-2". Not sure why I did the Endianness swap

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
That looks authentic to me, it's just an older version and has the ETA movement.

Reactions: adg31

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s most likely a replica, the movement is an Asian made ETA clone. You can tell by the single rounded recess in the shock jewel housing:

The genuine ETA has a triad of angular recesses

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Nevermind, I suspect that link might have been to a fake.

Updated- This is what it should look like if I am not mistaken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nevermind, I suspect that link might have been to a fake.

Updated- This is what it should look like if I am not mistaken
Yes, that is an Incabloc shock jewel, it is what should be in a genuine Hamilton.

The Asian clone is copying a novodiac shock jewel found in standard grade Eta movements.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yes I think it’s not a genuine Hamilton. The crown is wrong. I recently bought A Hamilton Khaki Field case (no movement) on eBay and it had the same (badly finished) crown. I think the engraving in the case back is wrong too. Is there Lume on the dial numbers? A genuine one would have it, but the replicas don’t.

If you bought it from eBay, set up an ‘item not as described’ return request and you should get your money back. That’s what I did.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I think it’s not a genuine Hamilton. The crown is wrong. I recently bought A Hamilton Khaki Field case (no movement) on eBay and it had the same (badly finished) crown. I think the engraving in the case back is wrong too. Is there Lume on the dial numbers? A genuine one would have it, but the replicas don’t.

If you bought it from eBay, set up an ‘item not as described’ return request and you should get your money back. That’s what I did.
yeah i've done that too. well, you live and learn...

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I've seen genuine ETA 2824's with Incabloc and with Etachok shock springs. According to ETA's documentation, standard and elabore grade movements get Etachock and Top and Chronometer grade movements get Incabloc. However, I've seen elabore movements with hinged Incabloc springs and I've seen chronometer grade movements with Etachock (sometimes called Nivachock) tri-leaf springs. There's actually a Swatch Group service document around somewhere talking about how Incabloc springs may be replaced with Nivachok upon service (Google for it if you're curious). So the spring type is not really a reliable indicator of whether it's real or fake.

The silver dial version is supposed to have black numerals, not lumed.

Based on the pictures, the OP's watch looks fine to me.

EDIT: Here's what I was talking about:

c4613AuYE_MKajLEAq7xm2HRj5TOtOYHVfPG78ShE2M.png

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I just searched a few of the reputable replica sites and only one had a Hamilton available, Ventura XXL and it was stocked 2013. Not that someone could not make yours available but it is not usual. They have fake everything so nothing surprises me these days. Do you have a Hamilton dealer around? The serious replica makers are no joke. And yes, eBay worries me sometimes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I guess I'm naive, but is there really a big market for Hamilton Khaki replicas? I'm not putting Hamilton down at all, but I would guess (maybe wrongly?) that to make a top quality replica Hamilton Khaki that it would cost almost as much as the original Hamilton. I mean...I get why Rolex and Panerai are regularly faked because they represent "unobtainium" to a lot of folks, but are Hamilton Khaki watches really near that class? Don't get me wrong, they are great watches but they can be had relatively cheap in comparison to the higher end luxury brands that routinely are replicated.

Reactions: Ticktocker

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
reputable replica sites
Umm... OK

I guess I'm naive, but is there really a big market for Hamilton Khaki replicas? I'm not putting Hamilton down at all, but I would guess (maybe wrongly?) that to make a top quality replica Hamilton Khaki that it would cost almost as much as the original Hamilton. I mean...I get why Rolex and Panerai are regularly faked because they represent "unobtainium" to a lot of folks, but are Hamilton Khaki watches really near that class? Don't get me wrong, they are great watches but they can be had relatively cheap in comparison to the higher end luxury brands that routinely are replicated.
If there's a profit to be made, someone will do it. You can sell a fake Hamilton for more than it costs to make one apparently.

There are fake Casios and Seiko's too.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
From what i understand (after actually looking for one) the silver dial wasn't ,or at least hasn't been, available in a 42mm case recently only the 38mm.
And as other guys have mentioned the crown is wrong.
Other most common signs are the uneven lume dots, this one is pretty good but the '7' dot is a bit off and also the lack of Swiss made esp in older models and the lack of a dial code on the bottom of the dial.
I can't comment on the movement but it certainly looks like someone has bought one of the case kits off ebay and, possibly having a genuine eta movement i'm not sure, and then built it up.

Chris

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've seen genuine ETA 2824's with Incabloc and with Etachok shock springs. According to ETA's documentation, standard and elabore grade movements get Etachock and Top and Chronometer grade movements get Incabloc. However, I've seen elabore movements with hinged Incabloc springs and I've seen chronometer grade movements with Etachock (sometimes called Nivachock) tri-leaf springs. There's actually a Swatch Group service document around somewhere talking about how Incabloc springs may be replaced with Nivachok upon service (Google for it if you're curious). So the spring type is not really a reliable indicator of whether it's real or fake.

The silver dial version is supposed to have black numerals, not lumed.

Based on the pictures, the OP's watch looks fine to me.

EDIT: Here's what I was talking about:

View attachment 15140429
It’s not. Look at the crown.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
It’s not. Look at the crown.
Yeah I'm not super familiar with the genuine case and crown, so if that crown doesn't look right that's a bad sign. I was mainly just referring to the movement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts