WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I know ittle about vintage watches but with my basic research I was comfortable it was genuine.
I have since found it has no reference number on the reverse.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I'm not sure which is better with that Daymaster; all the bits piled over in one corner or the hand lettering. That one is a "prize".
Yeah someone really botched that job....:)

It looks like the guy pried off the markers leaving part of them on the dial so it's a total mess. The case back is also in bad nick as they thought it was a screw on back so it's mangled.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Yeah someone really botched that job....:)

It looks like the guy pried off the markers leaving part of them on the dial so it's a total mess. The case back is also in bad nick as they thought it was a screw on back so it's mangled.
I built a 1962 Diastar "0" out of three dead ones and a sack of parts. The one that I used for the case had the same problem. Someone did not know it was a bayonet mount and just kept twisting. Fortunately the case itself survived.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I built a 1962 Diastar "0" out of three dead ones and a sack of parts. The one that I used for the case had the same problem. Someone did not know it was a bayonet mount and just kept twisting. Fortunately the case itself survived.
The Purple horse I have does have a screw on back so it can be confusing and do you know if this means it's an early version? It has a RADO crown so I'm not writing that one off just yet. The numbers on the back are 11744/1 and 162108123. Going by that long number it's not though. :)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
The Purple horse I have does have a screw on back so it can be confusing and do you know if this means it's an early version? It has a RADO crown so I'm not writing that one off just yet. The numbers on the back are 11744/1 and 162108123. Going by that long number it's not though. :)
That would likely be newer. The Diastar "0" has a bayonet back like the one on Marcus975's Purple Horse. The Diastar 1 which came out about half a year later has a bayonet back that looks like this:

This style of caseback slowly transformed into a screw on back which looks the same externally. This picture is actually a screw on back. This seems to have spread gradually across models and took a number of years. My Jetliners which are from 1964 or so still have the original style bayonet back. Rado was famous for emptying their parts bins...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Probably pre-1970. Sometime around 1968 Rado switched almost completely to ETAs. The Diamaster 10 was made until 1970 and I believe it is the last AS powered Rado. The Diastar 8 used the same AS1876 but that changed to the ETA powered Diastar 8/1 in 1968.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts