WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always felt that at the heart of every "is it real" or "I found this at a garage sale" or I inherited this from my uncle" thread there was an episode of the Antiques Roadshow that convinced the OP that he may have struck it rich and that every old watch is equivalent to a lottery win.

Most of us know that's not true, but for the average garage sale enthusiast have these shows mislead them in the "possible" value of watches?

I also wonder if relatively cheap, common watches have escalated in value because people will bid them up at auction thinking an old Bulova is an excellent "investment" piece because it's vintage and they recognize the name.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Every episode that has a watch(s) are usually some super rare examples.

On one episode, Grandpa wasn't even dead yet and the family was trying to get them appraised. After they found out the watches were worth something. These two ladies get all giddy. Even though the watches were not theirs. Gramps was still alive and there was no mention of him even knowing his stash was on TV.

·
Registered
45,511 Posts
I went on the antiques roadshow once.

I showed my item to the presenter telling him that it had been in my loft for many generations!!

He took one look at it and said…….that’s your water tank mate.

·
Registered
13,068 Posts
I have enjoyed watching AR for over 30yrs
they generally only show real rarities
and sometimes the prices seem inflated and sometimes undervalued
and those who bring them are never 'totally' surprised even when they fake falling over
they've all got internet

Reactions: Seabee1

·
Registered
12,153 Posts
No influence on my watch purchases or my opinion of this hobby whatsoever.

I enjoy the program, but take anything in the media with a grain of salt.....
I learnt very young the media is fake. As a 18 or 19 year old my friends and I were at a televised seminar. The staff came around and gave many of the audience questions they wanted them to ask. No points to guess which audience members they chose to ask the questions. Amazingly the panel was so quick to answer all the questions they were asked. What amazing knowledge they had.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
I'd say I somewhat agree. Local folks on Craiglist and Face book Market place (places like this where other non watch folks buy watches) have upped their prices because the are always looking online for what things have sold for. Not much research at all (it seems) just whatever someone else got for their similar looking watch, plus what they've seen on shows like this (American Pickers type stuff, and YouTube).

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm skeptical that Antiques Roadshow has "damaged" watch collecting in any way. That phenomenon you describe of someone finding junk and getting excited is real exists and may have been stoked by the show, but it is better for someone to find their grandpa's worthless watch and excitedly get it appraised than for them to toss a real vintage Omega because they have no idea it's valuable.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Watches aren’t necessities so I have no qualms about Hodinkee or Antique Roadshow generating interest from the public in watches.
I'd say I somewhat agree. Local folks on Craiglist and Face book Market place (places like this where other non watch folks buy watches) have upped their prices because the are always looking online for what things have sold for. No research at all (it seems) just whatever someone else got for their similar looking watch, plus what they've seen on shows like this (American Pickers type stuff, and YouTube).
I do a bit of buying and selling (sometimes watches usually not though) on various platforms, I am on Craigslist and have sold a watch there to a fellow enthusiast. However I one time inquired about a vintage Omega, guy told me $6000 but could not provide ANY info on watch. I did my own research, and I forget ref # but it was more like $1000. I had a strong inclination this guy saw Omega and got all warm and fuzzy, but speaks to your point of people not performing and due diligence.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I've worked with the ARS production people in the past. There is an elaborate and comprehensive screening process of all items before they even sniff a shot at real airtime. The entire production is a huge undertaking with hundreds of people lining up early in the day to be pre-screened in different categories. Very few make it to the stage. The experts they employ are very much the real deal though. I have been amazed and impressed at the wealth of knowledge these collectors and auction execs possess.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts