WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've always felt that at the heart of every "is it real" or "I found this at a garage sale" or I inherited this from my uncle" thread there was an episode of the Antiques Roadshow that convinced the OP that he may have struck it rich and that every old watch is equivalent to a lottery win.

Most of us know that's not true, but for the average garage sale enthusiast have these shows mislead them in the "possible" value of watches?

I also wonder if relatively cheap, common watches have escalated in value because people will bid them up at auction thinking an old Bulova is an excellent "investment" piece because it's vintage and they recognize the name.
I mean everything affects everything so in that sense yes and no. Apparently people said that the treasury selling off its silver dollar holdings at face valueback in the 60s ruined the coin collecting hobby due all the uneducated buyers it attracted and the general buzz around coin collecting. But people still collect coins at every level, so it's hard to say anything was ruined.
If you think about it there is no reason to collect anything, but people still do it. For every popular watch becoming too pricey to justify purchasing their are probably 20 lesser known watches that are worth appreciating. Entertainment is entertainment, so I can't really fault a popular program for being popular any more than I can fault a popular watch for being popular. What it means for your hobby is up to you, there will always be interesting finds for little money to be had.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Everyone commenting negatively on YouTube and people who make videos. But you forget that people like this allow the younger generation (myself included) a sight into collecting watches. YouTube is the News for us young ones. I frequently YouTube reviews on watches to see what others are saying. Taking into consideration a lot are paid for reviews but it allows an in depth view of the watch if you don't have a local AD. Also giving an update to releases of new watches to those who aren't part of a forum.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Everyone commenting negatively on YouTube and people who make videos. But you forget that people like this allow the younger generation (myself included) a sight into collecting watches. YouTube is the News for us young ones. I frequently YouTube reviews on watches to see what others are saying. Taking into consideration a lot are paid for reviews but it allows an in depth view of the watch if you don't have a local AD. Also giving an update to releases of new watches to those who aren't part of a forum.
I go no problem with people showing their collections or even valuing them. Also informative talks to real experts/dealers.

The gutter trash videos are the ones about which watch is better than what watch and which watches you shouldn't buy and the ones you should - where there is zero substance behind it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I prefer Pawn Stars where they bring in all their useless crap, sometimes watches that they found under a floorboard somewhere, that’s worth .50 cents.

·
Registered
Seiko with GC SD Grandeur
3,548 Posts
Most, if not all, of the watches I have seen on ARS UK are Rolex or Omega and non have been true antiques (at least 100 years old).

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
5,026 Posts
Most, if not all, of the watches I have seen on ARS UK are Rolex or Omega and non have been true antiques (at least 100 years old).
An antiquated view of antiques.

Just another watch nerd.

·
Premium Member
Breitling, Cartier, G-Shock, Omega, Rolex (x3), Seiko, Sinn, Tissot (x3)
1,940 Posts
Never seen it. So, for me, my interest in the hobby has not been damaged. I'd think that most who seriously, genuinely participate in it would not be impacted by a television production.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe I am too tired or dumb for your question but I do not even understand where you are coming from. Are you saying that bringing knowledge that very in demand rare timepieces can be worth alot is somehow a bad thing when it brings more people theoretically in the hobby? I mean if you are after pure exclusivity then collect your belly button lint, I promise you... you will have a monopoly grab hold on that market :oops: .

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I've always felt that at the heart of every "is it real" or "I found this at a garage sale" or I inherited this from my uncle" thread there was an episode of the Antiques Roadshow that convinced the OP that he may have struck it rich and that every old watch is equivalent to a lottery win.
On the whole the watches appearing on the AR have something exceptional about them, the dross is weeded out by an army of researchers before reaching the expert. Apart from highlighting that there are a few exceptional watches out there I don’t think it impacts on the hobby.

A few of years ago I was invited to a recording to bring a pocket watch which had once belonged to my grandfather (yes, really) - an English pair cased verge fusée from 1734 having a date wheel and an exquisitely repousséd gold outer case the condition of which suggesting that it had hardly ever been worn during its long life. The expert, having waxed lyrical about its beauty, the rareness of its condition, the tens of thousands (in today’s money) it would have cost to the original owner, some interesting details of the movement’s manufacture, evidence of its travels abroad and the exceptionally good restoration job I’d had done on it which had left evidence of the original maker’s tool marks on its inner workings, he finally explained that sadly there was little demand for these wonderful items these days and offered an auction estimate of just £900.
Clock Gold Circle Jewellery Font

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think the World Wide Web is the major factor here. I love watches and guitars. Now, everyone at the snap of a finger can figure out a value for anything. 25 years ago, you could find a “closet classic” guitar at a reasonable price. That is virtually impossible now.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
curious...how has the hobby been ruined for you? you have an AP, PP and 2 rolex...whatsa matter...not enjoying them?
I've found I can't enjoy the hobby like I used to because anytime I have the opportunity to talk watches with people, they can only talk about the money/value/investment side of things. That to me is completely uninteresting.

With so much new interest in watches and many people coming into the hobby (many chasing $), it's also created echo chambers that I think prevent more nuanced discussion and thought - plus, there's a lot of vested interests out there, so this drives those echo chambers as well.

Just my opinions. Hasn't really got anything to do with my watches as I know I am extremely fortunate, and I'm lucky to have what I do.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
When we have chance to see shows like ARS or Pawn Stars or any other programming that is geared toward valuation of property we realize that the players in the game, the "experts" must have an ounce of knowledge surrounding the items...at least we're told so. We get pulled into their views and anticipate the outcome. The question that always pops in my mind is "Is this real, should I believe what I'm seeing?" Does being broadcast on TV or on someone's YouTube channel give the subject, or expert any credibility? This makes us think that the owners of the property or items are instantly rich. The term "meat on the bones" is often brought up. The experts shell out only a certain amount of its value because they need to flip it to make a profit. Will it sell? Does it sell? Who knows about it, and do shows like this actually affect the value of all the items like it going forth.

Aside from the entertainment value we have to think past what we've witnessed and decide on our own whether it all rains true. Are we ever going to be in a dealers or buyers position to obtain these things? And, will we use the information we garnered from viewing these programs? How much do we desire to actually own any of these things? It almost always comes down to how much is something worth to you, and how much are we willing to give to be a part in the game... the game of ownership?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Every episode that has a watch(s) are usually some super rare examples.

On one episode, Grandpa wasn't even dead yet and the family was trying to get them appraised. After they found out the watches were worth something. These two ladies get all giddy. Even though the watches were not theirs. Gramps was still alive and there was no mention of him even knowing his stash was on TV.
Hum, the family was spotted last night purchasing duct tape, plastic garbage bags, and a gallon of antifreeze ........
Cartoon Vertebrate Light Mammal Gesture

·
Premium Member
50,461 Posts
Everyone has their own "preferred" ways to learn about watches.

I like the information provided here by expert members as opposed to media show, no matter how entertaining......

·
Registered
499 Posts
I go no problem with people showing their collections or even valuing them. Also informative talks to real experts/dealers.

The gutter trash videos are the ones about which watch is better than what watch and which watches you shouldn't buy and the ones you should - where there is zero substance behind it.
I mean really no different than anything on TV everything is opinion based even the news. Everyone has their take on everything and will spin it in whatever way suits them. For example this forum asking if AR damaged watch collecting. Nothing to back the question or answers.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts