WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all the Sumo fans out there,

I am considering getting one of these and was wondering if those out there who have experience could give me a little help.
1) My wrist is 7.25 will this watch work out or is it to big.
2) How is accuracy of the movement.
3) Is it comfortable.
4) Bracelet quality.
5) And anything else youall might think of.

Many thanks watch brethren, oh and pictures are welcome.
Dan

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
3) Is it comfortable.
4) Bracelet quality.
1) My wrist is also 7.25 and it fits me just fine. Looking down at the face I see at least one full link above and below. The case lugs don't quite exactly, but pretty closely, follow the contour of my arm so there are no obvious gaps that make it look too big.

2) Mine is ok. I've posted before that, if I set it exactly and wear it all day, it tends to lose a few seconds but, if I leave it on its face at night, it gains much of it back. Overall, it loses about 10 seconds a week which is well within the specs of the watch but nowhere near as good as some have claimed they get (sorry, but I have difficulty believing any automatic watch is "spot on" after a month of wearing). Since I have other watches to wear and don't wind the Sumo with a winder or unless I remember to, I have to reset it a lot more than I would had I worn it every day. Your mileage of course will vary.

3) Very comfortable. I have always liked substantial watches and don't mind their size or weight. This one is like all of my other watches in that I don't know I have them on sometimes. So that's pretty comfortable to me.

4) Bracelet is just fine. To some it seems cheap but it's not. It's very light for stainless steel (in my opinion) but it's well made, can be adjusted almost perfectly, has a double lock with two button release, and a wet suit extension built in. That's a lot of features in a "cheap" bracelet. It's very good.

5) Bezel works well and has half-minute clicks. The lume is very good but I have never seen it last "all night" or have it appear to be as bright as some have claimed after 6 hours in the dark or longer. The build quality seems to be excellent. I expect this watch to last a long time barring any mishaps or accidents. The date wheel is a bit high in the window on mine but appears centered when viewed normally. Directly face-on, it's high but I never really look at it perpendicularly so I don't notice that. Some are quite aggrivated with theirs and want to or actually have that adjusted.

It's quickly becoming my favorite watch.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mine is the orange model so it's on a rubber strap. Once I had it shaped it is very comfy-

I'm a small person with skinny wrists (between 6.25 and 6.5) and while it looks big it works because it's supposed to look big. It wears very comfortable.

Mine runs a bit slow, but it is a mechanical watch and I'm fine with it.

Great lume, fit and finish is very impressive. My Rolex is feeling left out..

·
Registered
644 Posts
FWIW, my Sumo is far more accurate than my MM300, which is currently gaining 10+ sec./day. Go figure! 7.5 inch wrist - fits perfectly. Have you seen any posts suggesting this watch is one of the great values, and that it could easily cost 2x what it does? You have now.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts

I am considering getting one of these and was wondering if those out there who have experience could give me a little help.
3) Is it comfortable.
4) Bracelet quality.

Dan
1. My wrist is the same size. The Sumo fits me nearly perfectly. It's one of my favorite watches on a bracelet.
2. Accuracy by many will seem amazing (within 5 seconds per day). I've had 4, and all were within 15 seconds per day.
3. Extremely comfortable
4. I find the bracelet is built to a high standard. Some people equate weight to quality...if this were true just strap a brick on your wrist with a free watch from a box of cereal ;-). People also seem to think that a 20mm wide bracelet should weigh like a brick. It doesn't, but the bracelet balances out the weight of the head of the watch very well.
5. Buy it!

...The lume is very good but I have never seen it last "all night" or have it appear to be as bright as some have claimed after 6 hours in the dark or longer...
Kevin, I'd say you need to invest in a high-output LED flashlight :-!. I imagine to "charge" the watch lume you hold it under a lamp? DougFNJ didn't understand what all the fuss about glowing was until I convinced him to spend $30 and get a bright LED light. The output from my 120 lumen LED flashlight blows a plain tungsten bulb away. It charges the Sumo so that it glows easily for 7-8hrs. With night-adjusted eyes, the watch is completely readable for the entire 8hrs.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To all the fine gentle above Kevin, RKB, Redbike, and Tropher 1556,

I give a hearty hello and thanks:-! for the input, the watch just looks awesome and between my readings and your input I am going to sell
off a couple of my other watches and become SUMO:-d like you guys.

many thanks and God Bless,
Dan

·
Registered
6,894 Posts

I give a hearty hello and thanks:-! for the input, the watch just looks awesome and between my readings and your input I am going to sell

Dan
Personally, I think you'll like it. It's one of the best values Seiko currently produces.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Kevin, I'd say you need to invest in a high-output LED flashlight :-!. I imagine to "charge" the watch lume you hold it under a lamp? DougFNJ didn't understand what all the fuss about glowing was until I convinced him to spend $30 and get a bright LED light. The output from my 120 lumen LED flashlight blows a plain tungsten bulb away. It charges the Sumo so that it glows easily for 7-8hrs. With night-adjusted eyes, the watch is completely readable for the entire 8hrs.
I will try that! I have several high intensity LED flashlights to use. Is there any harm in "over exciting" the lume?

·
Registered
446 Posts

Dan
Dan, you will not be disappointed. I was so pleased with mine that it made question why I ever spent what I did on any of the three "R" watches that I've owned. What color are you looking at, I'm toying with buying another one in blue.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Care to recommend one? I was actually looking into flashlights, as I need to pick up a new one for camping and such. I guess I might as well buy one that'll properly charge up my watches while I'm at it. :-!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is comforting that you are so happy with yours makes my decision even easier, I am looking at the black was considering the blue but not sure about that.......... if you jump make sure and show us all that would be nice to see some real life photo's instead of stock pictures.

Dan

Dan, you will not be disappointed. I was so pleased with mine that it made question why I ever spent what I did on any of the three "R" watches that I've owned. What color are you looking at, I'm toying with buying another one in blue.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Care to recommend one?
There are plenty to choose from including the highly regarded but pricey SureFire brand though I have gravitated to the Inova brand since they are quite bright, much less expensive, and available at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. They also have a wide range of sizes and output so you can tailor your needs to their price points.

Most of these lights are not meant for continual all night activity though so the batteries can discharge quickly if you keep them on for more than a couple of hours. For that, you'd definitely want a fluorescent lantern type light.

But for temporary bright light, try the Inova lights. Almost every one I have seen is in packaging that allows you to try it out right there in the store. Just pick the one you think is brightest at the price point you are willing to pay.

If you are looking for a high quality tactical light, SureFire is generally one of the top brands but pricey. Fenix is also decent but also pricey.

So say I.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Funny thing, I have blue, and am considering another in black! Got blue on today, come to thing on it...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I think a lightbulb charges lume good enough to last the night...

go for it, you won't regret it. Highest quality watch that your money can buy IMO. I wouldn't want it any heavier to be honest. I found my SKA367 too uncomfortable after hours of wear...so I returned it. More weight doesn't mean a better watch, and IMO 190 grams is more than enough mass.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My Sumo runs a tad fast. Like 2 or 3 seconds in 16 hours or so. I find that if I take it off at night and set it on the 9 o'clock side, I start off the next day right on the money. Mine is orange on a super oyster. Have just had a sapphire crystal installed. One of my favorite watches! Looks as good or better than most orange dialed dive watches. :-!

·
Registered
5,086 Posts

3) Is it comfortable.
4) Bracelet quality.

Dan
1. mine is 7.5 inch.. the watch fit perfectly
2. mine is consistently run - 3 sec to - 5 sec/ day
3. the most comfortable watch , I own... no one beat sumo in term of comfortness.. in my 7.5 inch wrist
4. no problems. no rattling..
a little tricky to adjust , but beside that.. superb

5. Sumo is too good for my post office and custom to pass

3 times I bought from Chino

they try to lose it 2 times, my black n blue

after a long chase and calling police to scare the suck post office
they give up trying to bully me to get my sumo

damn post office... can not see good stuff pass...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting the 9:00 position for a solution I will remember this, say why did you get the sapphire installed? did you not like the crystal or..... and did the super oyster come with yours.

Dan

My Sumo runs a tad fast. Like 2 or 3 seconds in 16 hours or so. I find that if I take it off at night and set it on the 9 o'clock side, I start off the next day right on the money. Mine is orange on a super oyster. Have just had a sapphire crystal installed. One of my favorite watches! Looks as good or better than most orange dialed dive watches. :-!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
1. mine is 7.5 inch.. the watch fit perfectly. Warm
2. mine is consistently run - 3 sec to - 5 sec/ day. Warmer
3. the most comfortable watch , I own... no one beat sumo in term of comfortness.. in my 7.5 inch wrist. Getting Hot
4. no problems. no rattling.. Hot
a little tricky to adjust , but beside that.. superb

5. Sumo is too good for my post office and custom to pass. BOILING that's it I am sold I am going to become a SUMO like you soon

3 times I bought from Chino. So the 3rd time was the charm

they try to lose it 2 times, my black n blue

after a long chase and calling police to scare the suck post office
they give up trying to bully me to get my sumo

damn post office... can not see good stuff pass... So it sounds like persistance paid off and you got an excellant watch congratulations and thanks for your thoughts.

Dan

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I think a lightbulb charges lume good enough to last the night...

go for it, you won't regret it. Highest quality watch that your money can buy IMO. I wouldn't want it any heavier to be honest. I found my SKA367 too uncomfortable after hours of wear...so I returned it. More weight doesn't mean a better watch, and IMO 190 grams is more than enough mass.
It might be good enough to get it to last...but nothing like a H.O. LED :-!.

I will try that! I have several high intensity LED flashlights to use. Is there any harm in "over exciting" the lume?
No damage at all. In fact...far less risk using a LED over a lightbulb. Get a watch face too close to a lightbulb and see what happens (yes...plastic parts will melt!!). Get it to close to a LED flashight and the only thing that happens is the lume glows brighter.

Care to recommend one? I was actually looking into flashlights, as I need to pick up a new one for camping and such. I guess I might as well buy one that'll properly charge up my watches while I'm at it. :-!
I'd look at Fenix first. Very affordable and very high quality. I'd also invest in a rechargeable cell and charger. Will pay for itself after 2 or 3 uses :).

Check out this site: https://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=22

I tend to shop the closeout/clearance sections first.

The watch I use is a Surefire U2 Ultra. Overkill, but it's not all I use it for. It's my bedside accompanyment to other defense tools kept close by.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts