WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird question, I know....but this has just happened to me.

I have always loved watches, since I was a teenager. Unfortunately I never knew much about them and pretty much knew of the brands I would see in the watch sections of department stores. This was before I found this forum and became "enlightened."

So for my birthday 5 years ago my then fiancé, now wife told me she wanted to buy me a watch. We went down to Bloomingdales and the second I walked up to the glass case my eyes went straight to a white faces Baume et Mercier Riviera. I couldn't take my eyes off of it and decided then and there that I had found my birthday watch.
At the time I didn't even know much about what an automatic watch was, every watch I ever owned before was a quartz.
So I picked up this beautiful quartz dress watch and wore it with my suit to work for months with great pride.

About 6 months later I found this forum and after much reading found myself looking down upon my "quartz" watch. Upon the purchase of an automatic (my Montblanc) I pretty much stopped wearing the Baume et Mercier. It found its way to my watch box and there it stayed. I eventually added more automatics to my collection and slowly forgot about the B&M.
Recently I decided that I needed a white face dress watch. All of my automatics were black faced , so I figured it would be good to diversify and I targeted a Nomos Tangente to buy soon.
Then one day a strange thing happened. While taking another watch out of my box, I decided to just take out and try on the Baume et Mercier again. I needed to go extra dressy for a special occasion and I thought its slim profile would work better than my automatics.
I tried the watch on and *BOOM* I remembered why I was so taken back by the watch in the first place.
Yes, its quartz. Yes, it isn't a JLC or a Zenith or a Glashutte Original, but you know something it is one damn good looking, simple yet beautiful watch.
The battery has since died and I am looking to replace that this weekend.
I am so happy that I gave this watch another chance...it isn't the Nomos that I wanted and will eventually get, but I am so happy that I have re-discovered this watch and it is firmly back in my rotation.

Sorry for the rant, I was just curious if anyone else experienced something like this?

Oh and here are some pics I took this morning on my iPhone of the watch....

Baume.jpg Baume closeup.jpg Baume side.jpg Baume side2.jpg

Reactions: Popoki Nui

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Yup,and two watches instead of only one...
These are the watches

There were times when I felt very reluctant to wear these two,but when I got bored with my watches,I started to wear both of them and rediscover that I still like them

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Yup,and two watches instead of only one...
These are the watches

There were times when I felt very reluctant to wear these two,but when I got bored with my watches,I started to wear both of them and rediscover that I still like them
And it's not difficult to see why! |>

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes did this very recently with my Omega PO, was seriously considering selling it but put it on last weekend and thought 'Absolutely no way is this going!'

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I've had my Dynamic for quite a few years now. It has spent long periods of time unworn, and I've thought of selling it a couple of times, only to rediscover my love for it. Most recently when I tried it on a new strap.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Somehow I think I'll need to buy a few more watches and then get back to ya. Although I don't wear all my watches equally at all, I don't buy watches unless it is almost certain that there is more than one thing I will always like about it. Once I get to the stage where I'm buying watches similar to what I already have - then it might become a problem. (Although a fantastic problem!).

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Happens to me too....a lot. It's one of the reasons I've slowed way down in buying new watches, apart from the occasional Swatch or G-Shock impulse buy. I love that reconnected, falling-in-love-again feeling with watches I haven't worn in a long time.

~Sherry.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
This happens to me a lot and it's why I don't sell my watches.

But I am thinking about dropping a couple of pieces to fund an FP Journe!

·
Registered
6,883 Posts
Yes, this Valjoux 7733.

View attachment 1260145

Was - unreasonably - negleted for almost 40 years. Not anymore. ;-)
Yeah... this is one I'd throw in my watch box and forget... my Gawd... that is frickin' amazing!!

Edit: And it even looks good with those 501's (like it would look bad with anything!).

Reactions: CMTFR
1 - 13 of 13 Posts