WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am kinda new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself and pose a question. I have spent literally the past three months incessantly surfing and reading this forum while procrastinating doing actual work (I am an undergrad so a large portion of my time is spent in procrastination). It has gotten to the point that my friends look at me weird when I talk about watches.
Anyways, back to my question, have any of you randomly met someone who was as much a WIS as you are? Or to put it differently, are there are a lot of people like us?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Welcome to the forum :).
I am fortunate enough to have a twin brother who is just as crazy about watches a I am, so its always nice to have someone close who understands this hobby :-!
I have only bumped into one other WIS in the last one year I have myself been onto watches. He was a jewelry salesman in Singapore and while my bother's girlfriend was having a look at some stuff, he casually asked me if i wanted to pick up anything for my gf (who was back home in India at that time) at which point she said "all they spend money on is their watches!". The guy suddenly perked up and started talking about how he too liked them especially Omega and had been saving up to buy a Speedmaster. He was delighted to see my brother's white Seamaster. We three then started discussing about our watches and some other brands for a while :).
Whether he said that to make a sale or not, I cant say for sure, but it was nice to bump into someone and chat about watches.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I've met MANY fellow WIS. Mostly from doing face to face trades. Then I went to some gtg's. Also at my watchmaker's place.

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
yes....I seem to meet watch afficionados when I'm travelling...on planes, etc. always a lot of fun....

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I don't like the term "WIS". Has an element of OCD / autism about it...

But I have met with two members of WUS, and both have been stand up guys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't understand it either, I just use it because everyone else does (the pressure of social norms, using jargon as an attempt to fit in). Watch Idiot Savant does not make that much sense. Wouldn't a better term be Watch Enthusiast (WE), or Horology Enthusiast, or my favorite, Horologically Minded Individual (HMI)...or if you want to be very french, Connoisseur of Haute Horlogerie (CHH). It seems that there is a long list of much better terms to describe what we do.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Watch Enthusiast works for me. :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
I haven't met other watch enthusiasts yet, but I'm waiting for that day when I do meet one. Whenever I see someone wearing a watch, I try to start a conversation (not at an awkward time or place of course). My conversations are usually like this:

Me: Nice Planet Ocean.
Him: Huh? Nice what?
Me: Nice Omega.
Him: Oh, thanks.

I've come to realize a lot of people don't know the model name of their watches, only the brands. I know there are a lot of watch enthusiasts in Seattle, so maybe one day...

·
Registered
941 Posts
I haven't met other watch enthusiasts yet, but I'm waiting for that day when I do meet one. Whenever I see someone wearing a watch, I try to start a conversation (not at an awkward time or place of course). My conversations are usually like this:

Me: Nice Planet Ocean.
Him: Huh? Nice what?
Me: Nice Omega.
Him: Oh, thanks.

I've come to realize a lot of people don't know the model name of their watches, only the brands. I know there are a lot of watch enthusiasts in Seattle, so maybe one day...
I've had that exact conversation. Just replace Planet Ocean with Constellation.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Twice

First was last year while on vacation in Jamaica. I was talking to the guy at the front desk, when another hotel guest walks up & asked him something. Ray (front desk guy) answered the question & right away asked him "Sir, what kind of watch is that?"

Of course the answer was "huh? I don't know" turns out it was a Guess.

I then asked Ray "Hey, you like watches?" & he showed me his Omega & we went on to have a nice conversation.

The other occasion was recently I went to inquire about strobes for my work truck & I noticed the guy had a really nice seadweller, I didn't comment on it though. We went back in to his office & while he took a phone call I looked at his book shelves & saw he had a bunch of books on watches. As soon as he hung up I asked him, "You like watches?" & he responded "Oh yeah, I have quite a collection of Rolexes"

Well, an instant friendship was formed :)

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I have met several...one I met based on messages on a watch forum, for a friendly lunch on a whim....we have become great friends and meet for lunches, motorcycle rides, basketball games, hockey games all the time....another watch enthusiast comes to mind that I stopped and met for lunch in the middle of a motorcycle ride from Niagara Falls to Milwaukee....we certainly don't meet as often, but I also now consider him a friend. :-!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have couple guys at work who are into watches, as well as three personal friends who have some interest in watches.

Also, on two occasions I met Timezone members in person to finalize a sale :)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
There's another guy I work with who's on here somewhere (Hey, Charlie!), who is much more knowledgeable than I am about watches. I only recently started collecting since I moved to Japan and discovered there was more to watches than Rolexes and whatever's in the jewelry case at Wal-Mart.

I had a similar experience to In_Front recently going to my company's headquarters for some training. A guy was sitting across the table from me wearing what's essentially the Seiko 5 version of a 007 and I realized that first of all his watch's date was 10 days off. And apparently the days of the week were in Spanish, which is odd for a Scot living in Japan. Over the course of the daytime training session I watched horrified as his watch finished moving on to the next day and I realized that his watch was 10 and a half days off. I know some people aren't enthusiasts, but really, that to me is like buying a pair of shoes and saying, "Hm, there's these floppy string things hanging off of them. Oh well, maybe that's just the style. At least they match my pants."

·
Registered
43 Posts
A partner at the firm I work at noticed my Planet Ocean one day and we talked watches for a few minutes. Apparently he has a black SMP and a Speedy Pro. He said that since he just upgraded his wife's ring, that he's entitled to a few new watches :-!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I just also remembered the pharmacist at the supermarker I go to.

I had noticed he had a really nice Rolex Day/Date, then on another occasion he had a Datejust. Finally when I saw him with a GP Chrono I had to comment to him.

He immediately started talking watches & pulled out the lastest issue of Watchtime from beneath the counter. He kept talking even as the line of customers behind me got longer, lol.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I met two guys on airplanes, both wearing Sinns (which I realy like) one of whom told me about WUS.

And I think I sat next to Chad Jensen once before I knew about WUS:-d (Just kidding Chad, but it was a younger guy who looked like him and I spent the flight trying to sneak looks at his Navitimer/cosmo not sure which)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I met two guys on airplanes, both wearing Sinns (which I realy like) one of whom told me about WUS.

And I think I sat next to Chad Jensen once before I knew about WUS:-d (Just kidding Chad, but it was a younger guy who looked like him and I spent the flight trying to sneak looks at his Navitimer/cosmo not sure which)
Nope.

My coworkers are clueless.
When I see a nice watch on someone I will compliment them and then the discussion usually ends with me giving too much detail about their watch and them looking at me like I am strange.....

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
When I see a nice watch on someone I will compliment them and then the discussion usually ends with me giving too much detail about their watch and them looking at me like I am strange.....

LOL, I've done that too!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I have. I randomly met a fellow WIS who was also a WUS member, who I happend to buy a watch from from the sales forum just out of randomness.

On another forum, I read a WIS's post about walking out of a Panerai dealer in a mall in NY, and then from a distance Bill Clinton is walking towards him and towards the shop. He notices Clinton is wearing a Panerai (and so is he). So he says something like " nice watch Mr. President"........Clinton notices his watch as well, and grabs the WIS's wrist , looks, and compliments him as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts