WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone
I found one rare pocket watch but i can't found information nowhere.
Can you help me, have you ever seen anything like that?
Have engraved "Alexander II"

tissot.jpg

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,154 Posts
I have seen watches of that style before, e.g. the "George Favre-Jacot" watch with the letter calibre (the bridges are shaped G, F and J), or other watches with intricate carvings or skeletisations (e.g. Bovet). This one here is based on a fairly standard style of movement (Lepine V), one example being this one:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: At. Brossard 18'''

Obviously, the original bridges have been discarded in favour of one big 2/3 plate which has been elaborately carved into shape. It is quite possible that this is a recent adaptation (source: Ukrainian workshop?!) but not necessarily so. If it is recent, I would think that the colour of the main decorative bridge differs from the rest of the movement; the pictures aren't quite clear enough to come to a definite conclusion.

Hartmut Richter

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I also have a few of these 'monsters'. The skeletisations do not improve the watch itself, which is usually more of the cheaper type. It's basically a gimmick, like putting an image of Elvis Presley on a dial. Those watches have been manipulated for customers of different categories like free masons etc. or just put in, to make the thing more attractive, like Chinese chronographs which have indications on the dial without any function. It is very difficult to say anything about the (original) watch in this state. This one could have been overworked and decorated for the fans of Tsar Alexander II, but I guess the Tsar would have had the bridge-maker shot on the spot for this. I suspect, that this was a work done later, which often occurs to 'pep up' and old watch. There are tons of these watches from the Alpine region (or at least pretending to come from there) and after you have seen a few of these fancy bridge-works, you get fed up, like with the embellishments on the Alpine dials. Today, we would put that into the category 'pimp my watch'.

What's left: You have something truely unique, whatever it once was. The watch is key-wind and key-set, which makes it an older type and has some nice (large) stones. It would be interesting to have a better image of the escapement area, also from a different angle.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts