WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anybody has had any experience using the Seiko Service Center. I've got an SKX013 that my local watch guys haven't been able to fix for me properly. It keeps losing time. The one guy did some kind of adjustment, and it worked great for a month or six weeks, and now it's back to losing something like 7 minutes per day. I figure sending it in will only cost me time and postage; I can always tell them no if it's going to cost too much to fix this $200 watch.

(Directly related, being frustrated at taking this, my favorite and daily wear watch to the shop yet again, I bought a new Seiko 5 SNKE61 this evening so I'd have something I could trust and be happy to see on my wrist as a daily wear. It should arrive by Monday.)

Has anybody sent their watch to Seiko for servicing? Why did you send your watch in, and how much did it cost? How long did it take? Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yes. I recently sent in a kinetic diver to Seiko US for full service and capacitor replacement. Turnaround was just over 2 weeks and cost a very reasonable 175usd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
I sent my monster to Seiko UK as it would stop. It was under a year old and was fixed for free, worked fine ever since.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
My SKX007 loses about a minute per day. It used to be accurate to within 5-10 seconds. Probably cheaper to replace the movement than service the old one. But I would be curious to know what Seiko would charge. I assume it would be at least $100, maybe more. Not really worth it to me.

·
Registered
14,129 Posts
Seiko USA's service center is almost universally despised.

I think for you situation you may be OK, but more expensive watch servicing seems to almost always be botched or damaged.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Took my Shogun to the service center in Mahwah.
Can't remember what I needed done.
When the watch was returned, every piece of lume on the dial was dirty.
It looked like the watchmaker took off the dial, and laid it face down on a very dirty surface.
I will not use them again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took my Shogun to the service center in Mahwah.
Can't remember what I needed done.
When the watch was returned, every piece of lume on the dial was dirty.
It looked like the watchmaker took off the dial, and laid it face down on a very dirty surface.
I will not use them again.
Dang, that's rough. Seems so unprofessional and so easy to avoid. Bah. I wouldn't use them again either.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My SKX007 loses about a minute per day. It used to be accurate to within 5-10 seconds. Probably cheaper to replace the movement than service the old one. But I would be curious to know what Seiko would charge. I assume it would be at least $100, maybe more. Not really worth it to me.
I've pretty much decided I'm not taking my watch back to the locals again. Either they're incompetent to fix it OR there's something more significantly wrong with it than previously thought. Either way, if it gets fixed and screws up again, or if it can't be fixed locally, I'm sending it to Seiko at least to get a quote. I hate operating from a position of ignorance. At least this way, I'll know.

And you bring up an interesting point. It's a $200 watch. I love it very much, but what is my cutoff? If they quote me $100, that's too much. But $75? $50? I'm not sure. I'll have to think on this one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What was the cost of the watch, if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious what percentage of the original cost the repair was. That said, capacitors can't be free, so unless it was the same price, it was probably reasonable and fair.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. Other than this post, I haven't been able to find any information at all. Do you know why they're despised? Botched or damaged is pretty unfortunate, but it also seems really weird as their whole thing is fixing. I dunno. Unless this most recent trip to the shop actually fixes my watch, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna send it in if only for the experience and the quote and so forth.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Did you buy it new? If so there should be some kind of warranty but that may have been compromised after taking it to a local watch guy.

Unless sent under warranty I'd say your best bet is to replace the whole movement which should not cost a lot. I'd post the same question in the Seiko forum, there're people there who are a lot more experienced than me on things like this.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I sent my SEIKO 7A28-7089 Titanium Chronograph into the US New Jersey center before Christmas (2017) as its chrono function has stopped working.

They responded with a detailed service list, including charges. I approved the repair (~$150) and the watch appeared in my mail in less than a week. It has worked perfectly since then. No complaints here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts