WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent many hours between flights wandering through airport watch boutiques (Munich is a favourite) but have never bought one or even seriously considered it.

From what I can discern airport boutique prices are not great, they aren't prepared to discuss discounts and seem to be there more as displays than actual retail operations. They are typically on the air-side as opposed to the public side so the target buyer is someone who is already travelling.

Not only have I never bought one I can't recall seeing anyone else buying one either. Are those boutiques just there for show? Are there airports where dealers are prepared to offer discounts comparable to non-airport ADs?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I think they dont offer discounts because you dont have to pay taxes. Ive checked out the ajrport boutiques but you would have to be a pretty impulsive buyer to buy a watch on the spot before or after a vacation.

I would conclude they are for show, ive bought watches on vacation but you have the ability to shop around. Also aiport selection is just the basic models.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they dont offer discounts because you dont have to pay taxes. Ive checked out the ajrport boutiques but you would have to be a pretty impulsive buyer to buy a watch on the spot before or after a vacation.

I would conclude they are for show, ive bought watches on vacation but you have the ability to shop around. Also aiport selection is just the basic models.
I've bought watches on vacation too and got the Value Added Tax refunded upon departure. In my price comparisons I've found that even with the tax discount the airport boutiques are more expensive.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If 'you' are air-side, you're likely to be 'on the clock' which is no place to be when buying a decent watch ! Unless your flight is delayed, and you have the time to properly consider the options.
A 'grab & go' watch purchase can't be wise, unless you know for certain it's an absolute steal and you can get your money back on it pre-owned.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Places I found were duty free but no discounts. I rather work my magic at an AD, pay the 7% tax and get 20-35% off.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I was close to picking up a SubC at the Hong Kong airport, prices at the Rolex boutique was suprisingly competitive.

·
Read Only
7,342 Posts
I was close to picking up a SubC at the Hong Kong airport, prices at the Rolex boutique was suprisingly competitive.
I would think Rolex (particularly SS sports watches) and Patek would be about the only companies where an airport boutique could offer competitive pricing.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what brands do you get 20-35% discount? Omega boutique says no way and best Rolex I've gotten is 5%. From AD. WHAT'S THE SECRET?
Places I found were duty free but no discounts. I rather work my magic at an AD, pay the 7% tax and get 20-35% off.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Every time I'm in a major European airport, I always look at the watch shops, the last time was at Frankfurt in July. They always have large stocks of watches you just don't see in the USA - It's real eye candy! But I'm aware that there are no real bargains there so I've never actually purchased. I've had much better luck with on-line EU vendors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts