WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a used Monster on bracelet and also a used stainless steel Samurai bracelet. On both of them the pin & collars were installed backwards. If not installed correctly, they can work themselves out and you may damage your watch if it falls off your wrist. Check the pins if you buy used. :-!

Rule of thumb: The collar is installed in the same direction as the arrow stamped on the link. :-!

cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
325 Posts
Re: Have you purchased a used Seiko bracelet (or watch with bracelet) recently? .. please

Thats good info - thanks!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Re: Have you purchased a used Seiko bracelet (or watch with bracelet) recently? .. please

I recently purchased a used Monster on bracelet and also a used stainless steel Samurai bracelet. On both of them the pin & collars were installed backwards. If not installed correctly, they can work themselves out and you may damage your watch if it falls off your wrist. Check the pins if you buy used. :-!

Rule of thumb: The collar is installed in the same direction as the arrow stamped on the link. :-!

cheers,
gigfy
I don't see that opening too easy, but the part that would really drive me crazy would be to try to remove one such inverted pin !!! o| o| o|

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I don't see that opening too easy, but the part that would really drive me crazy would be to try to remove one such inverted pin !!! o| o| o|
It is very easy to remove a backwards installed pin. I can push it out with a strap changing tool. That is the whole point I'm trying to make.

If the pin is installed backwards, it will eventually fall out.

The reason they stay in place when properly installed is that the hole that is supposed to hold the collar is smaller than the other side. So when you push the collar on it has a friction fit on the pin *and* a friction fit on the inside of the link.

In other words the collar is wedged between the pin & link on the correct side. But only fitted on the pin & loose inside the link on the incorrect side.

Cheers
gigfy

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

It is very easy to remove a backwards installed pin. I can push it out with a strap changing tool. That is the whole point I'm trying to make.

If the pin is installed backwards, it will eventually fall out.

The reason they stay in place when properly installed is that the hole that is supposed to hold the collar is smaller than the other side. So when you push the collar on it has a friction fit on the pin *and* a friction fit on the inside of the link.

In other words the collar is wedged between the pin & link on the correct side. But only fitted on the pin & loose inside the link on the incorrect side.

Cheers
gigfy
Well, my feeling is that if you try to push in the direction shown by the arrow you will break one tip from the link remover tool ... I think you are describing the situation from the point of view of somebody that first looks at the actual pin-end with a good magnifier and notices there is no collar at the end where it should be one and then pushes in the 'reverse direction' to the marked arrow ? :-s

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

Wow - good info! On one of my watches it must have been reversed as well... I thought the arrow on the link was the direction to push the pin out. As when I did it came out with the color on the other side (away from the side I was pushing from).

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Well, my feeling is that if you try to push in the direction shown by the arrow you will break one tip from the link remover tool ... I think you are describing the situation from the point of view of somebody that first looks at the actual pin-end with a good magnifier and notices there is no collar at the end where it should be one and then pushes in the 'reverse direction' to the marked arrow ? :-s
I'm not sure why you don't understand. Maybe this will help.

I think we all can agree that this is correct. Note in the picture below showing the sides of the links and the pin & collar installed correctly.

You can insert a pin on the wrong side. As I stated in the original post, some of the pins were installed backwards (with collars) on my Monster & Samurai bracelet. All you have to do is stick the pin in the wrong side. And then push the collar in the wrong side.

Note the picture below showing the sides of the links and with the pin installed backwards. When installed incorrectly, the collar will eventually fall off and the pin will eventually work its way out. It will happen because I've seen it myself.

Catalin, if you still don't understand, please let me know.

cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

Catalin, if you still don't understand, please let me know.

cheers,
gigfy
I perfectly understood from the very first time - what I was pointing out was that you MUST check the detail above with a magnifier in order to realize that the pin is reverted - which INCREDIBLY FEW people will EVER do FIRST - most people will first try to use the link remover tool and only after that fails they will note that something is wrong :-d

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I perfectly understood from the very first time - what I was pointing out was that you MUST check the detail above with a magnifier in order to realize that the pin is reverted - which INCREDIBLY FEW people will EVER do FIRST - most people will first try to use the link remover tool and only after that fails they will note that something is wrong :-d
I'm glad you understand. When my used black Monster arrived I was very surprised to find that it was sized correctly for my wrist. Exactly like I would have sized it and the diver's clasp was correctly positioned at the center of my wrist. So I put it on and wore it. Only after a few days did I notice a collar peeking out of the hole. And upon further inspection did I notice that some of the pins were installed backwards. :-|

So fast forward a few weeks and my used SS Samurai bracelet arrives. The FIRST thing I checked was the pins & collars and lo and behold, some of them were installed backwards. I am lucky to have my eyesight and can see without magnification. Although I'm sure that will not be the case in a few years. :)

So the take-away from my experience and what I wanted to share with the community is this: Do yourself a favor and check the pins to make sure they are installed correctly when you buy a used Seiko watch &/or bracelet.

cheers,
gigfy

·
Registered
481 Posts

The new Stargate SKZ325K1 has a pin and collar system to size the O.E.M. bracelet also. Except the collar resides in the middle part of the link in a recess built into one side. The way it sits there you can't put it in any other hole except that one then just simply work the pin into the link in the direction of the arrow to re-insert. At least that's the way I did it. It's alot easier than a Monster bracelet.

Good info on the monster bracelet.

·
Registered
40 Posts

good info, printed the image and put it in the Monster box for future reference

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

The new Stargate SKZ325K1 has a pin and collar system to size the O.E.M. bracelet also. Except the collar resides in the middle part of the link in a recess built into one side. The way it sits there you can't put it in any other hole except that one then just simply work the pin into the link in the direction of the arrow to re-insert. At least that's the way I did it. It's alot easier than a Monster bracelet.

Good info on the monster bracelet.
The Astrodea 2006 (titanium) has that kind of 'middle collars' - the pin can be worked either way - but in one direction is very easy and in the other one is like 100 times harder (if you don't have special tools). And guess what - they marked the arrow in the wrong direction!!! :rodekaart It took me like 30 minutes of pain to discover that by removing the first pin o|

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

I've seen that before, and been the recipient of that before. I had a local Jeweller remove a link for me since I was picking up another watch from him. A few days
later, out fell the pin. Luckily my watch only fell about 6" onto the dinner table causing no damage. But earlier in the day I had spent about 6 hours on my motorcycle wearing it!
That would have been a Catastrophe. Now, I just do them myself.
Regards Sonny

·
Banned
5,850 Posts

Thanks gifgy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts