WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, me again. I just received an awesome hand made water buffalo strap, custom made for my PO, black with orange stitching and was hoping to put it on, but am really having a tough time removing the bracelet. Normally I use a couple of Bergeron screwdrivers and so far have been successful at easily swapping out bracelets and straps on all my watches.
This one is however seems impossible. At the fear of damaging or scratching the watch, I've given up for now, and am looking into getting proper tools. In the meantime, any advice?
Thanks,
Anatoly

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The tollerances are very tight. You have to free one side just enough to get the spring bar out of the hole. You may have to slightly pull one side of the end link down just a bit while freeing that spring bar from the lug hole. Once you do that, you do the same on he other side and hook the spring bar on the edge of the hole like the other side. At this point the end link should be about square and you can slide it strait out and back away from the head of the watch. It does get easier.

FYI.... I use a magnifying light to better see. I wish I would have used one of these lights years ago because now I can see the hole while working on the bracelet.

·
Registered
10,507 Posts
Get the proper tool for the job or get the AD to do it for you.
You'll never forgive yourself if you mark your watch.

Reactions: Rob Roberts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Do you have a bergeon 6825? I also find it difficult to remove but have done it regularly now with a bit of patience and a regular spring bar tool. However, if you are unable to get it, I agree with the others and would take it to an omega AD if you have one in your area.

·
Registered
12,583 Posts
The tollerances are very tight. You have to free one side just enough to get the spring bar out of the hole. You may have to slightly pull one side of the end link down just a bit while freeing that spring bar from the lug hole. Once you do that, you do the same on he other side and hook the spring bar on the edge of the hole like the other side. At this point the end link should be about square and you can slide it strait out and back away from the head of the watch. It does get easier.

I sent you an email in order to help you out over the phone but this describes about the same thing that I was going to tell you. It really should be easy with a Bergeon tool.

·
Registered
869 Posts
As above, it's darn near impossible without a proper tool, and not at all easy with the tool.

Couple thoughts:

1) don't forget to put scotch/cellophane tape over the lugs to protect them from scratches. I usually put it completely over the lug, then punch through the tape with the tool to access the spring bar ends.

2) I find it much easier when I take a pin out of the bracelet so it flops completely open - this is an easy task, and having the bracelet in two halves really increases access and decreases the pressure on the pins, making getting the bracelet off roughly 10x easier.

3) it's still hard to do even with the right tool, a lot of patience, tape, and the bracelet open. There's JUST enough tolerance to get one end of the bar out, rock the bracelet to keep it from going back in the hole, and then compress the other end of the spring bar. I usually give it a couple tries, and if it's not coming quickly, go take a break for a half-hour and approach it with fresh mind and relaxed hands. This is NOT an evolution to undertake while already a little frustrated.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, I went to the AD in he removed the bracelet in less than 5 minutes! I am looking into getting better tools for the job.
In the meantime, here are a few quick shots of the result, I think it's fantastic!

Anatoly

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
looking good

1 - 10 of 10 Posts