WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been lists like this comparing watches and cars, but I'm not aware of any done comparing watches and schools. What follows is my take on this, what I'll call, 'light' subject, not to be taken too seriously. Please note these can be watch brands of any kind, but *American* schools only, thus, no Cambridge, Oxford, Beijing, Kyoto, INSEAD, etc.:

Patek, Vacheron, Audemars - Harvard, Princeton, Yale (the big 3)

Breguet, Blancpain, JLC - Stanford (ultra-high end, but not big 3)

A. Lange & Sohne - Caltech, MIT (obvious technology and engineering connection)

Rolex, Omega - UPenn, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, UChicago, Northwestern, Duke (solid, top, but not big 3)

Ulysse Nardin, Piaget - Amherst, Williams, Swarthmore (top, alternative, smaller following)

TAG - UFlorida, UTAustin, USC, UMich, PennSt (obvious sports connection)

Longines, Baume & Mercier, Tissot, Victorinox, Wenger - UCLA, Berkeley, UWisconsin-Madison, Emory, NYU (very good, all-around)

Cartier - Smith, Wellesley (obvious female connection)

Marathon - West Point (obvious military/army connection)

Sub, Sea-Dweller (true, not brands per se, but I had to go with these) - US Naval Academy (obvious naval connection)

Breitling - US Air Force Academy (obvious aviation connection)

Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, Casio - State schools (huge following, ubiquitous)

Fashion Brands like Lacoste, Gucci, Burberry, Nautica - Fashion Inst. of Technology (focus on fashion)

Knock-offs - Community colleges, ITT, University of Phoenix and other online programs (quality an issue--sorry, not to be too high brow, but I couldn't resist :-d)

Of course I'm missing a lot of watch brands as well as a lot of schools, but you get the idea...b-)

Comments? Critiques? Additions? Come one, come all! ;-)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
While I get the military association, Marathon doesn't cut it for West Point.

West Point is so dang prestigious, I'd rather have a degree from there than from Harvard (not that I went to either).

Could we come up with a different brand that has both military association and is of high pedigree?

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
For engineering (especially mechanical engineering), Harvard, Princeton and Yale are ranked outside the top ten (according to PhD.org and my criteria).

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,775 Posts
Makes about as much sense as equating watches and cars. Which we do every once in a while. That said why isn't Seiko at the top considering the high end GS and Credor watches they produce. The list seems to have been seasoned with a dash of xenophobia and cup of ethnocentricity and removed from the oven way too soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts