WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to cinch down the crown on my old Amphibian and water got in, and th movement never recovered. So, I ordered another 2409a. and installed the dial and hands.

My problem is the regulation. It is running minutes fast per hour. I have made adjustments to the regulator lever (is that the name?) so that it is deep in the ' - ' , but it is still absurdly fast. Is there something I am missing?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is potentially magnetized and coils of the balance stuck together. Did you check for magnetism? Can you post a good photo that shows the hairspring coils? Do you see them touching each other?
I just bought a demagnetizer, but it is still minutes/hour fast. Here is a photo of the hairspring - it doesn't look stuck together to me.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I just bought a demagnetizer, but it is still minutes/hour fast. Here is a photo of the hairspring - it doesn't look stuck together to me.
View attachment 16026805
Then it needs to be looked carefully and serviced. The coils look good but maybe they touch the bridge. For the watch to be hours fast the effective length of the hairspring should be significantly shorter than expected. If you have another watch, you swap the balance and see. If the watch is running well then the issue is with the balance. Of course if you have the timegrapher you can see the issue right away….

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then it needs to be looked carefully and serviced. The coils look good but maybe they touch the bridge. For the watch to be hours fast the effective length of the hairspring should be significantly shorter than expected. If you have another watch, you swap the balance and see. If the watch is running well then the issue is with the balance. Of course if you have the timegrapher you can see the issue right away….
You don't happen to know of a video of someone removing/installing a bridge? I do have some extra movements.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Around 6th minute

Wow - thanks! Can the bridge be removed without removing the gearing? Or is that necessarily preliminary?

And let me compliment you on the steadiness of your hands. Maybe I should lay off the coffee.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Wow - thanks! Can the bridge be removed without removing the gearing? Or is that necessarily preliminary?

And let me compliment you on the steadiness of your hands. Maybe I should lay off the coffee.
I wish it would be me. This is Mark Lovic. He is great.

you can remove the balance assembly w/o removing anything else. Just a warning: it looks simple but is not that simple as you would discover!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish it would be me. This is Mark Lovic. He is great.

you can remove the balance assembly w/o removing anything else. Just a warning: it looks simple but is not that simple as you would discover!
One question - one both of the extra movements, the mainspring is wound and the movement will not advance. I assume I need to release the tension on the mainspring?

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
One question - one both of the extra movements, the mainspring is wound and the movement will not advance. I assume I need to release the tension on the mainspring?
if you plan on removing the pallet fork or the trail bridge you need to release the main spring.

If all you want to do is to remove the balance you do NOT need to release the main spring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be careful as its easy to break pivots !
Remove the fixing screw, the bridge is located by 2 dowels so will resist moving, don't force just lever a little at several points until it comes free, there may also be a spacer shim.
With tweezers hold the bridge and lift slowly approx 10mm then with a toothpick or small screwdriver gently guide the balance wheel up and out, once free allow it to hang by the spring and move to a save location.
Replacement is more complicated as the jewel on the balance needs to engage with the pallet fork so you may need to lift the wheel slightly, rotate and lower back until you get it right ( just be gentle ) if you have the mainspring wound the watch should start going if you get it right.
It's fiddly so don't rush and don't fully tighten the screw in one go , wind a little check the balance moves and looks level, tighten more check again and repeat, if you get resistance stop and loosen the screw,check and try again. If the watch stops when the screw is tight but runs when backed off slightly it may need a shim as some do and some don't hopefully you have one in your spare watches or at worst try a different balance ?
Be aware later movements (after 2000 ?) have a longer balance so will lock up when tight if installed in an older movement.
Chances are lifting the balance out and letting the spring hang will dislodge the dirt/oil on the spring and fix the issue so removing and replacing may be enough ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Be careful as its easy to break pivots !
Remove the fixing screw, the bridge is located by 2 dowels so will resist moving, don't force just lever a little at several points until it comes free, there may also be a spacer shim.
With tweezers hold the bridge and lift slowly approx 10mm then with a toothpick or small screwdriver gently guide the balance wheel up and out, once free allow it to hang by the spring and move to a save location.
Replacement is more complicated as the jewel on the balance needs to engage with the pallet fork so you may need to lift the wheel slightly, rotate and lower back until you get it right ( just be gentle ) if you have the mainspring wound the watch should start going if you get it right.
It's fiddly so don't rush and don't fully tighten the screw in one go , wind a little check the balance moves and looks level, tighten more check again and repeat, if you get resistance stop and loosen the screw,check and try again. If the watch stops when the screw is tight but runs when backed off slightly it may need a shim as some do and some don't hopefully you have one in your spare watches or at worst try a different balance ?
Be aware later movements (after 2000 ?) have a longer balance so will lock up when tight if installed in an older movement.
Chances are lifting the balance out and letting the spring hang will dislodge the dirt/oil on the spring and fix the issue so removing and replacing may be enough ?
Many thanks! I am off to try!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts