WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Singapore.
ive tried syncing 3 times.
i hold the B button (lower right) until the second hand goes to T+P.
The mode arrow swings around for a while and then settles pointing up.
Then I wait... And wait... Nothing happens. The second hand does not move to Yes or No.
i have stood in a big open field like this for 9 min!

i know that it can take upto 13 min when receiving leap year info but that's supposed to happen only in June and December if I'm not mistaken.

anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
No problem syncing atomic or GPS, here in San Diego...

Electronic post generated by human via apple interface...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
If you aren't getting the signal the second hand would move to No. Where does the second hand move to and you can check if the signal was received by pressing B anytime afterwards.

Make sure the face of the watch is pointing straight up with a clear view of the sky.

Sent from my Nexus 9

·
Premium Member
8,273 Posts
I live in Singapore.
Then I wait... And wait... Nothing happens. The second hand does not move to Yes or No.

i know that it can take upto 13 min when receiving leap year info but that's supposed to happen only in June and December if I'm not mistaken.

When you're done, if you check sync results does it point to yes or no? If it points to no, that probably means you did not wait long enough for the leap second info to be received. It took mine like 10-11 minutes for that to happen. Once you get that, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Another question, is your battery charged sufficiently? Some functions are disabled when the charge falls below a certain level.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery is charged sufficiently. When I perform the check by pressing the B button once, it always points to NO.
I did read in the manual, that sync may take a long time during leap year AND if sync hasn't been performed in a long time.

Plus I waited only 9 minutes the last time. I'll try again today.

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Premium Member
8,273 Posts
The battery is charged sufficiently. When I perform the check by pressing the B button once, it always points to NO.
I did read in the manual, that sync may take a long time during leap year AND if sync hasn't been performed in a long time.

Plus I waited only 9 minutes the last time. I'll try again today.

Thanks for all the advice!
Yeah, I'd bet money it's the leap second issue. You are correct, the watch is only updated with that in June and December. BUT, if the watch has not received the leap second update in December, it will try to get it now every time you do a GPS sync. If you don't wait long enough, it will not complete and the sync will point to "no" because it was unsuccessful. Just give it enough time, and you should be fine. And the watch will sync through a window also, as long as it has a clear view of the sky, so you don't have to stand outside while doing this.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Unless you travel a lot, you only need to do the T+P sync once.
After that, if you want GPS time, press and hold for 1 second, and the second hand should go to "time." It'll pull just time data from any 1 satellite, and it happens pretty fast. I've done it while driving down the road. You'll want a clear view of the sky, tho.
Make sure the sun is shining and you have a clear view of the sky and can stay put for a minute to do T+P. That's where the watch triangulates actual global position. If that's giving you issues, you can manually set the city for the time being until the watch can pull the location data.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I live in Singapore.

Hi, I have exact same problem with you after I bought my last weekend. I live in Singapore too. I tried more than 10 times with changing places (as much as open field & clear sky) & timing (days & nights). Its really frustrated. Finally, I could received the GPS signal after I tried several times at top & most open field of small hill along Yishun Ave 7, around 5pm with clear sky (took almost 10mins). I am not sure why its so difficult to get GPS signal in Singapore, maybe due to many tall building & interference of signal, but how come stand alone GPS seems have no issue at all?? this makes me wonder how good the GPS module in this watch. Anyway, as pointed by Phreddo, if just to get GPS time, it can be done in short time. I think maybe 1st time maybe took much longer due to leap second issue. Anyway, go some higher ground & open space on daytime to try out. Good Luck! do share after your try...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi, I have exact same problem with you after I bought my last weekend. I live in Singapore too. I tried more than 10 times with changing places (as much as open field & clear sky) & timing (days & nights). Its really frustrated. Finally, I could received the GPS signal after I tried several times at top & most open field of small hill along Yishun Ave 7, around 5pm with clear sky (took almost 10mins). I am not sure why its so difficult to get GPS signal in Singapore, maybe due to many tall building & interference of signal, but how come stand alone GPS seems have no issue at all?? this makes me wonder how good the GPS module in this watch. Anyway, as pointed by Phreddo, if just to get GPS time, it can be done in short time. I think maybe 1st time maybe took much longer due to leap second issue. Anyway, go some higher ground & open space on daytime to try out. Good Luck! do share after your try...
Just to update, after the 1st time I got sync the GPS, the subsequent attempt is much shorter time, within 1-2 mins. it get sync!! I am delight about it.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
That takes care of Alex ... what about the OP?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Son in Finland has a Casio solar/Atomic Casio I gave him on one of his visits to Texas.
Cannot recieve Atomic Sync signal from Germany because the range of the station is
1,500 kms.Wont be able to get a sync from the German transmitter even if he were
close enuff. His Casio will not sync because the German station transmits on frequency
77.1 Kcs. His Casio is set to recieve at freq 60.1 Kcs (Ft Collins, Co).

x traindriver Art

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I see... But never heard from the original OP though, I had wonder same too.. Hope he/she get it through too.
Hey its OP here :)
to be honest I haven't tried again yet. Mon-Fri i just don't have the time to stand out in the open for 13min! I'll try again this weekend though. Plus Singapore has just too many buildings and MRT stations everywhere. So finding a good place is not easy. Will try from the middle of pedestrian bridge (haha).

I have noticed that when im walking in the sun, the second hand will briefly point to 'Time' for about 20 seconds, and then go back to normal.
So im guessing the watch is automatically pulling GPS time signals.

One curious thing though, is that sometimes at night (11:00pm) I see my second hand pointing to RC. and it stays there for 2-3 minutes.
Singapore is not in range of any atomic towers right?

Anyways, enjoying the watch. It seems to have a mind of it's own! Love it more than my Rolex 114060.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hey its OP here :)

Singapore is not in range of any atomic towers right?
Singapore is not really in range of the towers but all my atomics receive the signal almost every night. I have them all set to TPE and face them 75º ENE. The aviators that don't have a TPE setting I set to TYO (as both TPE and TYO are set to receive from the Japanese towers) and in the morning switch to HKG so the time is correct with ours.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts