WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, let's all take a moment for the cutting brilliance of the pun title up there, shall we?

Anyway, am in Hawaii and just wondering if there's any suggestions for watches around here? As with anyone who goes away, the desire to pick something nice up is strong.

Maybe something second hand, maybe something new, maybe it's time to give in to the dark side of the force and let the Tudor Black Bay 36 into my hot little left hand.

Being purposefully ambiguous here because I'm both not sure what I want, and always open to suggestions on the best places to check out. So anyone here? Or go here? Or know here?
Just casual suggestions will probably make me less inclined to post a thousand touristy photos on here, driving you faster towards insanity.

In the interest of being a tourist, I hereby attach a few tourist photos from the land of Sailor Jerry:

Anything you can suggest I'd be happy to hear!

·
Registered
887 Posts
No ideas sorry man. Nic eattention grabbing title there though. Appreciate the change of pace. If you're thinking if the tudor why not give it a chance

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No ideas sorry man. Nic eattention grabbing title there though. Appreciate the change of pace. If you're thinking if the tudor why not give it a chance

I plead guilty to the crime of craftily and cunningly creating a caption to draw you all in here! No better way to get suggestions, I've found ♥

I've been wanting that Tudor for a long long time now, but have always struggled go justify the price to myself. But I've been thinking I may splurge. Wanting to know the best places and shops I can look through everything first though!

Such a sexy darned everything on this one! Much smaller than I'm used to wearing though...

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
first picture looks familiar... Waimea Canyon? Are you on Kauai?

most of the watch shops would likely be in Honolulu (Waikiki, Ala Moana). Maybe something in Poipu if you're in Kauai.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
Hawaii in a Mustang convertible. Sounds like a dream! I miss driving so much. Can't wait to get back home, just in time for convertible weather.

Anyway, I don't know much about watch shopping but I can tell you that Bathys is based out of there. I don't know if they're sold in stores, though they are apparently running a 20% off sale right now.

I will say that prices might not be so great in Hawaii for something like the Tudor. Hawaii being a tourist destination and in the States, you may not find the deals you would find elsewhere. The Black Bay 36 is a good looking watch, but for some reason, it doesn't feel like a Black Bay without a bezel, at least to me, anyway. Don't let that stop you. It's a spiritual successor to the 36mm Explorer, in my mind. But I couldn't wear a watch that small. Far be it for me to turn anyone away from a Tudor, though.

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
Long ago, rented a Vette convertible on Oahu, circumnavigated the Island, had a blast.

Almost put it in Honolulu harbor while doing a donut on Pier 2 where my ship was docked.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Ask Marc Carson?
Mark Carson - Individual Design

I think drhr is in HI - look for him on the Forum if he does not respond to this thread in short order.

Nothing wrong with the BB36. But I will say that the wife has already started perusing the Grand Seiko offerings for herself since mine arrived yesterday. 37m case and shapely case.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
On Maui, there are a few retail places in Waimea and Lahaina. Discounts are possible but bargains will be few on brand watches. On Oahu, Honolulu Time has second hand watches, but no bargains. Ask for David. AlaMoana has all the major brand boutiques, plus a Ben Bridge Timeworks...ask for Yuji or James. Waikiki has a Tourneau, Omega, and Cartier. Shinola can be a fun browse if that's your scene. Duty Free shops has everything from AP, Blancpain, VC on down, but if you don't speak Japanese you will be ignored.

I suggest enjoy the food, weather and the 'aina!

aloha,
john

Reactions: reirei

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
first picture looks familiar... Waimea Canyon? Are you on Kauai?

most of the watch shops would likely be in Honolulu (Waikiki, Ala Moana). Maybe something in Poipu if you're in Kauai.
Well spotted! Yes, Waimea Canyon (which was delicious!). I'm here for some time, so I'll be trying my best to be visiting everywhere I can, and won't be limited to just one island. Thanks for the Honolulu tip!

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hawaii in a Mustang convertible. Sounds like a dream! I miss driving so much. Can't wait to get back home, just in time for convertible weather.

Anyway, I don't know much about watch shopping but I can tell you that Bathys is based out of there. I don't know if they're sold in stores, though they are apparently running a 20% off sale right now.

I will say that prices might not be so great in Hawaii for something like the Tudor. Hawaii being a tourist destination and in the States, you may not find the deals you would find elsewhere. The Black Bay 36 is a good looking watch, but for some reason, it doesn't feel like a Black Bay without a bezel, at least to me, anyway. Don't let that stop you. It's a spiritual successor to the 36mm Explorer, in my mind. But I couldn't wear a watch that small. Far be it for me to turn anyone away from a Tudor, though.
I have done my best to resist finding a Hawaiian shirt, leaving some buttons undone, sticking on a Tom Selleck mo'...so far anyway 😏
I have also been trying my best not to soil myself driving on the wrong side of the road here!

I'll have to check out the Bathys in detail, thanks for that. I have agree on the Tudor. The smaller size is the downside for me, since being into automatics a year or so ago now I have gotten used to wearing larger men's sizes, and the 36 is such a step back from that. But it just looks so breathtakingly gorgeous in those Hodinkee photos, so I think I'll have to at least try it on and see how it feels. Thanks for pointing out the price too, I didn't even factor in to my mind that Hawaiian prices wouldn't be all that low! Makes the stopover in Asia on the way home a sneaky(pete) way around that dilemma though 😉

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Long ago, rented a Vette convertible on Oahu, circumnavigated the Island, had a blast.

Almost put it in Honolulu harbor while doing a donut on Pier 2 where my ship was docked.
I'll be doing the same on all the islands! It feels like absolute freedom, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who did it. In Australia these "doughnuts" you speak of are what we renamed "doughies". But then again we are known to have taken to coining a sport whereby you attach a goon bag (cask wine bag) to a peg on the clothesline and spin it in a circle. Who it lands over is the one who has to drink it. So I can't say that the best decisions/names belong to Aus!

Only brought one G-Shock along for the trip, and I'm already jonesing for my autos
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
On Maui, there are a few retail places in Waimea and Lahaina. Discounts are possible but bargains will be few on brand watches. On Oahu, Honolulu Time has second hand watches, but no bargains. Ask for David. AlaMoana has all the major brand boutiques, plus a Ben Bridge Timeworks...ask for Yuji or James. Waikiki has a Tourneau, Omega, and Cartier. Shinola can be a fun browse if that's your scene. Duty Free shops has everything from AP, Blancpain, VC on down, but if you don't speak Japanese you will be ignored.

I suggest enjoy the food, weather and the 'aina!

aloha,
john
Ben Bridge Timeworks in Ala Moana is a Tudor dealer if looking specifically for the BB36. Think they probably have them at Tourneau. I think there is a dealer on Maui too, but I haven't been there.

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
I have done my best to resist finding a Hawaiian shirt, leaving some buttons undone, sticking on a Tom Selleck mo'...so far anyway 
I have also been trying my best not to soil myself driving on the wrong side of the road here!

I'll have to check out the Bathys in detail, thanks for that. I have agree on the Tudor. The smaller size is the downside for me, since being into automatics a year or so ago now I have gotten used to wearing larger men's sizes, and the 36 is such a step back from that. But it just looks so breathtakingly gorgeous in those Hodinkee photos, so I think I'll have to at least try it on and see how it feels. Thanks for pointing out the price too, I didn't even factor in to my mind that Hawaiian prices wouldn't be all that low! Makes the stopover in Asia on the way home a sneaky(pete) way around that dilemma though 

I definitely couldn't go down to that size. The 41mm of the Black Bay and the Ranger were a leap for me (now I'm perfectly fine with the size), but 39mm is a serious stretch, even though I'm thinking about an Explorer at some point.

Bathys has a lot of cool designs, but they are low volume. Their staple, the 100 Fathoms, appears to be sold out on their website. The automatic Benthic diver is nice, if you can go up to 44mm. In my experience, they're pretty responsive to emails, so you might be able to arrange an in-person pickup if you do buy and they don't have stores.

Bathys Hawaii Dive Watches

If you do swing by Tokyo in the next few weeks, let me know. I've been doing a bit of watch (window) shopping out here, and the prices are good on a lot of watches. Ginza seems to be the area for high end goods, though Roppongi does also have a lot of nice car dealerships, which would lead me to believe there are luxury goods there too.

I've avoided driving over here, though I kind of want to. Being American, everything here is on the wrong side, and while I think I could shift with my left hand after surely mangling my right against the door instinctively, not understanding all the signs would be a problem off the main streets. b-)

·
Registered
887 Posts
I plead guilty to the crime of craftily and cunningly creating a caption to draw you all in here! No better way to get suggestions, I've found ♥

I've been wanting that Tudor for a long long time now, but have always struggled go justify the price to myself. But I've been thinking I may splurge. Wanting to know the best places and shops I can look through everything first though!

Such a sexy darned everything on this one! Much smaller than I'm used to wearing though...

Se eI loke it cause its small, but haven't been able to justify it to myself yet for stylistic and technical readons. I tend to vote if yu like something for a kong time get it

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

Be careful. The 36 cured my watch obsession. Everything else just seems ordinary now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
I know, I know, let's all take a moment for the cutting brilliance of the pun title up there, shall we?

Anyway, am in Hawaii and just wondering if there's any suggestions for watches around here? As with anyone who goes away, the desire to pick something nice up is strong.

Maybe something second hand, maybe something new, maybe it's time to give in to the dark side of the force and let the Tudor Black Bay 36 into my hot little left hand.

Being purposefully ambiguous here because I'm both not sure what I want, and always open to suggestions on the best places to check out. So anyone here? Or go here? Or know here?
Just casual suggestions will probably make me less inclined to post a thousand touristy photos on here, driving you faster towards insanity.

In the interest of being a tourist, I hereby attach a few tourist photos from the land of Sailor Jerry:

Anything you can suggest I'd be happy to hear!
Am a big fan of SJ's work (and his spiced rum). Was talking to my wife about a possible new tattoo, she suggested going to the "source" if there was such a thing in Hawaii. So is that a SJ branded shop? Or just a place that has/does a lot of his flash?

And what did you get?!

·
Premium Member
7,541 Posts
Hawaii is not really known for watches and most tourist locations generally will not yield you good discounts. Just enjoy the vacation and try not to die a horrible death from an erupting volcano.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Ask Marc Carson?
Mark Carson - Individual Design

I think drhr is in HI - look for him on the Forum if he does not respond to this thread in short order.

Nothing wrong with the BB36. But I will say that the wife has already started perusing the Grand Seiko offerings for herself since mine arrived yesterday. 37m case and shapely case.
Also, Russ Fortson (rfortson) is in Hawaii. He may have some ideas.

As for watches: You may like the koa wood watch offerings -- especially the Sub homages -- out there. Personally, I find them to be unappealing, but that's just me. Also, since you are in Honolulu, go to Honolulu Time Corp., which has an array of new and used watches.

Enjoy your trip.

Reactions: reirei

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Am a big fan of SJ's work (and his spiced rum). Was talking to my wife about a possible new tattoo, she suggested going to the "source" if there was such a thing in Hawaii. So is that a SJ branded shop? Or just a place that has/does a lot of his flash?

And what did you get?!
Sailor Jerry's old tattoo shop was located on 1033 Smith Street in Honolulu; the spot is now occupied by Old Ironside Tattoo, which plays on the legacy of Sailor Jerry. After Sailor Jerry died in 1973, his friend Mike Malone (along with Ed Hardy) kept his original shop alive. It closed down in 1998. Old Ironside would open 16 years later when Chris Danley, a tattoo artist out of California, restored the place and named it Old Ironside. Unfortunately, Danley never got to see it reopen; he died in a motorcycle accident on the North Shore of Oahu days before the opening.

My sister was out there for a tattoo last year and enjoyed the visit.

Reactions: hidden by leaves
1 - 20 of 38 Posts