WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...via bullet train:

Checked out Casio's Hamura R&D Center yesterday, and now it's time to visit their Premium Production Line. Any questions, gents?

Regards,
Adam

·
Premium Member
8,273 Posts
LUCKY YOU!!! Fantastic!!! :-!:-!

Questions, you bet!!

My main one would be, when a g-shock says "Japan H" on the back, does this mean the entire watch is assembled in Japan, or only the movement?

More generally, which g-shocks are assembled on their Premium Production Line? I know of some, like the MR-G, MTG, and Frogman.... What about the Mudmaster? Gulfmaster v2?? Are any Protreks assembled there?

Very cool!!! Enjoy!! :)

Any pics you are allowed to take and post here would be much appreciated! :-!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Why do they limit so many releases to 'Japan Only' ... offer nicer presentation cases for 'Japan Releases' ... limit some features [i.e. Carbon Fiber straps] to 'Japan Releases' while releasing a 'lesser' version to the rest of the world ...

& not release watches worldwide on the same date instead of a month or more later outside of Japan ???

Reactions: Time4Playnow

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hope you have a great time. . Question... Are the general public allowed to visit or do you need special permission or be in the business?

Sent from my SCV33 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope you have a great time. . Question... Are the general public allowed to visit or do you need special permission or be in the business?
I'm here in a professional capacity, but I'll ask. Based on the security precautions we had to take at rate Hamura R&D Center, I'm pretty sure that joint's off-limits, but who knows, maybe Yamagata provides tours. Either way, I'll find out.

And folks, I'll do my damndest to answer all your questions.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
i didnt realise theyre still doing tours. is it factory floor or selected viewing windows? if its an almost start to finish product tour i am def. going out of my way to visit the facility on my next trip over there! :D

one question - is there any difference in quality of materials and QC between your facilities around the world and how many times do ppl asked this question? :p

oh and photos, lots of photos please :)

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Man nice!!! Nice ride, nice watch and NICE trip!! That is awesome!

Question - I would echo the above already stated, and add, do they read WUS to get input on future releases :)

Also ask - hey have you seen that Brvheart eye-candy threads? You should hire him :-D

Just kidding of course - enjoy! I am wearing my Gv2 [my nickname for the Gulfmaster v2] right now as well - enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I would like to be able to drop the bug in their ears saying that there is a desire for some smaller premium watches. They have gotten a bit too big. I would have gotten a MTG this summer; but they were larger than I was willing to wear.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Have Fun.................Awaiting your post visit report...........

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My main one would be, when a g-shock says "Japan H" on the back, does this mean the entire watch is assembled in Japan, or only the movement?

More generally, which g-shocks are assembled on their Premium Production Line? I know of some, like the MR-G, MTG, and Frogman.... What about the Mudmaster? Gulfmaster v2?? Are any Protreks assembled there?
Yes, if it says "Japan", it's made entirely at Yamagata. As for which models are assembled on the Premium Production Line, which is a division within Yamagata, right now it's just the MR-G, Oceanus and the ProTrek Manaslu; The Frogman, Mudmaster, Gulfmaster, and certain ProTreks are made and assembled in the same factory, but not on the PPL.

(Fun fact: From above, this assembly line takes the form of an upper-case "G".)

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why do they limit so many releases to 'Japan Only' ... offer nicer presentation cases for 'Japan Releases' ... limit some features [i.e. Carbon Fiber straps] to 'Japan Releases' while releasing a 'lesser' version to the rest of the world ...

& not release watches worldwide on the same date instead of a month or more later outside of Japan ???
Mostly, this has to do with the general perception of G-Shock outside of Japan. The thinking is that other markets aren't prepared to pay the premium that these models command. This is changing, however, as G-Shock shifts its focus towards line towards higher-priced models in the US and elsewhere.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
At present, its just for official tours (i.e. for retailers and media), but there are plans to make the factory open to the general public. This will take a while, however, as they have to make some physical changes to the structure to allow for tours.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i didnt realise theyre still doing tours. is it factory floor or selected viewing windows? if its an almost start to finish product tour i am def. going out of my way to visit the facility on my next trip over there! :D

one question - is there any difference in quality of materials and QC between your facilities around the world and how many times do ppl asked this question? :p

oh and photos, lots of photos please :)
As I stated above, the factory isn't open to the public just yet, but eventually it will be. As for the tour, we were able to take photos through the viewing area, but not on the factory floor. That said, we were allowed to walk among the workers and the machines after we donned the proper attire and went through "decontamination" airlocks:

Interestingly, ALL movements are manufactured at Yamagata, while final assembly takes place in their plants in China and Thailand. That said, Yamagata quality reigns supreme in Casio's view.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man nice!!! Nice ride, nice watch and NICE trip!! That is awesome!

Question - I would echo the above already stated, and add, do they read WUS to get input on future releases :)

Also ask - hey have you seen that Brvheart eye-candy threads? You should hire him :-D

Just kidding of course - enjoy! I am wearing my Gv2 [my nickname for the Gulfmaster v2] right now as well - enjoy!!!!
No, they don't scour the forums, but I did try and point out the error of their ways. And yes, if it were up to me, you'd be on their payroll. ;-)

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some related Instagram posts from aBlogtoWatch.

Yamagata G-Shock Story Room
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKSOWRJBzxg/

Yamagata Clean Room
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKSM9uMBdJZ/

Yamagata G-Shock Aquarium
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKSLaIPBz8O/

Yamagata Frogman underwater pusher test machine
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKSHxW_Bbtv/
Ariel and I had a blast, and what's more, we didn't come back home without souveniers:

(Yes, we're hairy monkeys.)

In my case, I may have come home with more than one:

;-)

Regards,
Adam

1 - 20 of 48 Posts