WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an Omega Quartz Chronometer made in 1977. It keeps great time, within 2 seconds/month, unless I wear it outside on a hot (90F) day. When I wear it on a hot day, it will stop in about 1/2 hour. When I take off the watch, and leave it inside for a few hours, it will start again. So, I am wondering if the heat of being worn on my wrist on a hot day is causing an issue with the circuit, or if the sweat from my arm is somehow making its way inside the watch. I have never seen any signs of fogging on the face. Are these old watches susceptible to such things, or could it be another issue? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,466 Posts
Viscosity of the old oils, perhaps?

Or the oils have over time dissipated enough, and in hot weather they're spread too thin?

Reactions: ronalddheld

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Time for servicing, IMO.
The watch was serviced last year. When worn indoors or on cooler days it keeps time to within 2 seconds/month, which is at least as good as the standard it needed when it was certified as a chronometer over 40 years ago.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received the watch in a trade with a friend, and it was not running at all at that time. I had the watch repaired and serviced, and it ran great, except when I wore it outdoors in hot weather. Indoors, or on cooler days (85 Fahrenheit and under) it performs flawlessly, but the hot weather causes it to stop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts