WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to me that a lot of interesting colors can be attained by tempering carbon steel to different temperatures. For example following colors at F / Celsius temps:

- Deep straw-yellow at 470° / 243°
- Dark yellow / Light orange at 480°/ 249°
- Yellow-brown / Orange at 490° / 254°
- Brown-yellow / Bronze at 500° / 260°
- Spotted red-brown to Dark Brown at 510° / 266°
- Brown with purple spots at 520°/ 271°
- Range of blues in 530/620 range
- Greenish blue to Grey at 630° / 332°

and so on and so forth . . .

Would it not be nice to have these color options for watch hands and other parts of the movements.

What do you folks think?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Heat treating for color is great, but results are not uniform, hence the expense to get it right. The demand for other colors might not be great enough to justify creating a "rainbow" of selections for that reason alone - expense. ;-)

Glen

·
Registered
612 Posts
I know there was a Schauer einhander model available with a browned steel hand, and (I believe) browned steel screws as well. It looked very nice!

Other colour options would be pretty cool! I can see the Antea KS with brown hands being very attractive.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know there was a Schauer einhander model available with a browned steel hand, and (I believe) browned steel screws as well. It looked very nice!

Other colour options would be pretty cool! I can see the Antea KS with brown hands being very attractive.
Exactly that same watch made me start this thread . . . it had a Durowe movement. Simply stunning.

You are also right - not all colors may be optimal - but certainly reds and earth tones can be very appealing . . .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Very cool idea, with the marketing slogan, no 2 watches the same for those since the color consistency wont be guaranteed?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts