WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple years I have been dabbling with watchmaking. Not repairs, but building a custom, homemade watch. Here is a recent picture.

BLS_watch_2.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it looks very heavy metal-y. Nice job :)
The bezel is kinda rough. Is that intentional?
That's the downside of 3D printing...the surface is not very smooth. Also, the blotchiness is a result of the metallic paint I used. The material used is actually plastic, not metal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh, I see. I tought that it was milled but somehow it had a rough finish. So you 3D printed it and painted it :think:, well it still looks like it's made of rough metal :) you did a good job. Although if it was CNC milled from aluminum it would probably look better. But it depends if you want a rough looking watch or a more cleaner watch. Also, CNC milling of aluminum is expensive, I guess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I see. I tought that it was milled but somehow it had a rough finish. So you 3D printed it and painted it :think:, well it still looks like it's made of rough metal :) you did a good job. Although if it was CNC milled from aluminum it would probably look better. But it depends if you want a rough looking watch or a more cleaner watch. Also, CNC milling of aluminum is expensive, I guess.
Thanks!
I actually looked at having it CNC milled, too. But I was told my design would be a problem because of the sharp inner corners. The compromise was to round them out which I didn't want to do because I thought it would ruin the design. It's too bad the 3D milling process leaves the layering lines. My guess is in time the technology will improve.

·
Registered
193 Posts
But there are 3D CNC milling machines now that can do almost anything. I don't know much about these machines, but I know that knife manufacturers are now using them because they could make any design a reality with those machines. I haven't read up on 3D CNC milling, but you can read something up, I think that it will be possible to make your design from metal with a 3D CNC. But 3D CNC milling will probably be somewhat expensive. Also, I'm guessing that 3D CNC milling machines are newer and more expensive than CNC machines, so fewer workshops will have them. This is all a guess, because I don't know enough on this subject, but you can probably research this further and come up with some answers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts