WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Never thought much of the novelty watch with 8 day run time and visible balance. Something like Gruen p.w. in my personal opinion. Interesting, but not exciting enough to acquire. However, I got a very early one at local antique fair largely because of its original solid gold case ~16s that looked good enough to have the highest grade Swiss movement in it. Paid a little over scrap for it. Case a liitle worn and with its original box. I am about finished with Gruen collecting and this odd Hebdomas is like my Gruen p.w. experience indicating that the earliest models are nicer quality. This one is before 1906 when Otto Schild took over the Hebdomas from designer Arthur Graizely. His patent 1888. It is marked only 1888 patent and 8 jours(days) on mainspring barrel back rather than ornately engraved with 1900+ awards started about 1906. Most of these are factory silver cased open face, some silver hunters. I guess in original gold are rare. This one has especially nice dial decoration. Glare on glass in photo obscures it. Runs like new. Was oiled and cleaned. Notice a great variety of these made to 1960. now again for sale Swiss made in w.w. and p.w. form. New ones are very expensive in gold plated silver and smaller. Ad image added.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
That's a spectacular Hebdomas, excellent condition, can not find them that good often. Like you I think of them more as novelty watches.
How is it as a timekeeper, and do you know how many jewels it is ?
Thanks for showing,
Bill

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did not remove dial. Probably the 15j. Most were 6j. Their reputation was good as an accurate durable watch, but not likely capable of 1900 U.S. rr 30 seconds a week with the better 15j.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
It is a nice watch, Art. I suppose the reason for these not being very sought after is the fact that there are so many other good collectors watches out there that will give better value for money. I would not mind having an old version of these though. Buying one of the recent issues is out of the question, a clear no for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts