WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i just now decided to join this forum (i've been following it for quite some time now). Finally been getting into making my watch collection; however, i've been looking for a good everyday watch that is easy to read, not too big, looks decent, etc. Seems All of those are hard to find together in a watch lol. I'm going into the medical field, and need a watch that i can read very easy, and fast.

Upon searching and searching for a good watch, i came across a brand named "Calibre". I tried doing some research on the company (not a model for another manufacture), but had no luck what-so-ever. The model number is "Calibre Men's SC-4T1-04-001SC" Says its swiss quartz (but a lot of knock-offs state the same), after some more searching i found out its basically a re-badge of this "Swiss Military Calibre Men's 06-4T1-13-007" (different color). Any thoughts? Also, before getting flamed, i DID a lot of searching through this forum as well.

The main watches i've had my eyes on are: Skagen 233XLTTN, the Calibre watch (very iffy on the brand), been eyeing some Seiko Solar watches, but havent really found one that would be easy to read, and some other Seiko watches (heard great things about them), and a Timex T49875 Expedition. Those are the watches that i came across that look durable, easy to read (with a lum display), including the minutes marks.

Any input, and opinions would be great! Thanks. :)

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Welcome and enjoy it here,as for the watches,nothing beats the speedy pro (LOL)

Anyway,Seiko and Timex are well respected here,and you can't go wrong with either brand :-!

·
Premium Member
66,822 Posts
I would go in the direction of Seiko if possible because they are pretty darn good - have another look at them just in case you have missed something. It's worth a second look IMHO as they are so impressive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Is there any specific reasons why Seiko's are looked upon so greatly? Personal experiences, factual stuff, opinions, etc?

The model I really like the Solar series with the nylon strap, the issue with it is it doesn't have the minute marks in between the hours (12, 6, 9...). The mode is SNE239. It looks amazing! Also another little thing I've noticed is the fact they run much thicker than the Skagen watches (the model I mentioned is only 5mm thick!) Is that just a marketing gimmick from Skagen though?

Also to mention, the Seiko 5 Automatic watch has to be the best looking watch I've ever seen. The automatic feature would be great, but I've read they aren't good for the medical field :/ unfortunately. I've been drooling over that watch for about a week now lol.

I just started getting into watches, so I'm not too familiar with what's good and what's not, lol. The Citizen Eco Drive watch looked pretty cool as well for the price.

If you guys have any recommendations, they are more than welcome. :) thanks for the replied, btw. I'm already liking the sarcasm going on xD haha

·
Premium Member
66,822 Posts
I don't owns a Seiko (don't tell anyone on WUS that) but their reputation both generally and here on WUS is such that I would have no hesitation over buying one. I've taken quite a shine to a solar diver and have given no thought to the quality of the internals because it's a Seiko.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is there any specific reasons why Seiko's are looked upon so greatly? Personal experiences, factual stuff, opinions, etc?

The model I really like the Solar series with the nylon strap, the issue with it is it doesn't have the minute marks in between the hours (12, 6, 9...). The mode is SNE239. It looks amazing! Also another little thing I've noticed is the fact they run much thicker than the Skagen watches (the model I mentioned is only 5mm thick!) Is that just a marketing gimmick from Skagen though?
Maybe the citizen BM8475-26E will suit you.

Citizen Men's BM8475-26E "Eco-Drive" Stainless Steel and Synthetic Leather Strap Watch: Watches: Amazon.com

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Well,I can only comment on my only Seiko (SBDX011),they offer good value for money and the finish is excellent

Another thing that I like about Seiko is the public perception that it is a cheap watch,so you feel safe,even if you're lost in the seedy part of town...

My friend has the Seiko5 SNK80x in green (forgot the last digit of the code) and for $60-80,you honestly cannot go wrong with this model

For Skagen,I've never tried them so I cannot comment or give any recommendations,but their watch is very thin,and I like the watch that I can feel on my wrist...and from what I heard,once the mesh bracelet broke,it's difficult to get a replacement strap

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I've never owned a Seiko.....But too many people here say too many good things about them.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Another thing,Seiko is my only watch that I bought without even seeing it in person nor trying it on my wrist (tried the quartz version)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I have owned several seikos and the price to value ratio is good. They have also been battle tested and proven as reliable watches. Even Norman Schwarzkopf wore a seiko quartz while he was a commanding officer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,I can only comment on my only Seiko (SBDX011),they offer good value for money and the finish is excellent

Another thing that I like about Seiko is the public perception that it is a cheap watch,so you feel safe,even if you're lost in the seedy part of town...

My friend has the Seiko5 SNK80x in green (forgot the last digit of the code) and for $60-80,you honestly cannot go wrong with this model

For Skagen,I've never tried them so I cannot comment or give any recommendations,but their watch is very thin,and I like the watch that I can feel on my wrist...and from what I heard,once the mesh bracelet broke,it's difficult to get a replacement strap
Okay now it all makes sense. Also, with Skagen. With all their leather bands (and maybe some mesh), they use these types of screws which aren't compatible with most bands I'm guessing; however, with the specific model I posted, it has the standard bars, which is compatible with most standard bands (somone actually posted a photo of one with a nice nylon band on the black color version of the model I posted on an amazon photo, I might be able to find it if interested.) I do know that the Seiko has better movement, though I don't know how MUCH better in terms of reliability and accuracy. Not too sure about the crystal used (don't know much about the Hardlex name).

Wow, that looks nice! It doesn't really look $100+ nice though :/

I forgot to mention that I just bought a Diesel DZ1529, and now in the process of sending it back. I came to a realization that the matt finish scratches too easy, it's too thick, and leather bands are uncomfortable for me, I dislike the watch very much lol.
I bought a Skagen 817LBXC to replace it (just for a casual, look nice watch). Because the ceramic looks super sleek, haven't received the watch yet so no comments on that. So, for a everyday watch I'm trying to avoid a black background for easy reading (if that really makes a difference?). It seems harder than I thought though..

I am definitely leaning towards Seiko though! Other recommendations would be great :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the money, would you guys rather use a Seiko Solar, or a Citizen Eco Drive as a everyday watch? This includes probably dining it up against things sometimes lol

·
Banned
367 Posts
Anything quartz middle class, seiko, citizen, tissot, certina. Middle class mechanical, tissot, certina, hamilton, steinhart. All in more or less the same price range. Good quality, design, and movement. All these are classic well known brands with old heritage. Sure skagen are nice watches, I have one myself, but the quality can be discussed regarding the strap/bracelet and other features, as well as the brand is fairly new and the watches are just considered as another "fashion brand". I also suspect they use a kinda cheap miyota movement, compared to the other brands above, that might use a higher grade quartz.

Seiko solar and citizen eco drive are really nice technology if you want to have quartz movements. Whats your budget if I may ask?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anything quartz middle class, seiko, citizen, tissot, certina. Middle class mechanical, tissot, certina, hamilton, steinhart. All in more or less the same price range. Good quality, design, and movement. All these are classic well known brands with old heritage. Sure skagen are nice watches, I have one myself, but the quality can be discussed regarding the strap/bracelet and other features, as well as the brand is fairly new and the watches are just considered as another "fashion brand". I also suspect they use a kinda cheap miyota movement, compared to the other brands above, that might use a higher grade quartz.

Seiko solar and citizen eco drive are really nice technology if you want to have quartz movements. Whats your budget if I may ask?
Thanks for your input, I'll do some searching on those brands. My budget at the moment is in between $40-90 tbh, anything above $100 I'm iffy on since I'm joining the medical field. I'll most likely be scratching it up, hitting it against things (also, I work at Staples and I do freight a lot so another reason). I WANT to have an auto movement, but I NEED a quartz :/ because of my rough usage.. thanks again!

·
Banned
367 Posts
Thanks for your input, I'll do some searching on those brands. My budget at the moment is in between $40-90 tbh, anything above $100 I'm iffy on since I'm joining the medical field. I'll most likely be scratching it up, hitting it against things (also, I work at Staples and I do freight a lot so another reason). I WANT to have an auto movement, but I NEED a quartz :/ because of my rough usage.. thanks again!
There are a few 100 dollar citizens and seikos, google the online shops and you will find good stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
There are a few 100 dollar citizens and seikos, google the online shops and you will find good stuff.
I'll make sure to do that whenever I get home! Thanks

Also, FINALLY found the website info on the Calibre branded watch. Can't make much out of it.. had to email the seller to get the site: Calibre Watches Any thoughts? Says it's Swiss made! Lol, it's probably bs though. On the item info, it states that it uses the Swiss Rhonda movement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hello everyone, just posting an update, finally have the time. Today i am receiving my Skagen Ceramic 817LBXC (as a casual/dress watch) and have been doing some more searching for a everyday one. Finally, i came down to these two watches: Citizen Men's BM8180-03E "Eco-Drive" Canvas Strap Watch: Watches: Amazon.com and Victorinox Swiss Army Active Base Camp Men's Quartz Watch 241470: Watches: Amazon.com

They both have luminous hands, easy to read, look nice/simple, not thick at all, not too big of diameter, good price, and good reviews, except the tard who thought the Victorinox watch was a gals, without looking at the diameter, lol. Now it's just choosing one of those xD haha. I might end up sending back the Skagen watch since im sure both of those will look nice with a suit (especially the Victorinox one). Any opinions on the two? I honestly haven't heard much about Victorinox's watches, but i've heard great things about the brand itself, and have seen great reviews on most of their watches (since they're legit Swiss and all). I know for fact that Citizen watches are great. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts