WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm truly a late comer to watches and this forum. When I decide to have a Seiko as my first "serious" watch, the pictorial google search begins early April 2010.

What really caught my eyes was the Seiko SCVS013 Blue Spark, but alas, it was long out of production. No luck on eBay or sales forum too and several PMs to owners.

Lowering my expectations, I thought SARB035 would be it for me. But since I have a really neat white dial Hugo Boss on my wrist, I said try something black as I can vividly recall the commanding black I once glimpsed on a friend's Omega.

The SARB071 looks stunning but I thought the straight fonts for the word "Automatic" and the signature "diashock" on the SCVS003 were important distinctions that only those truly acquainted with Seiko's Spirit line's history will appreciate.

So it's the SCVS003 for me!

Then came the second blow that the SCVS003 were out of production on 31 March 2010 as announced by Chino Watch. And the hunt begins again. eBay, Rakuten and sales forums turned out nothing.

My savior was my sister, who saw a brand new one on Taiwan Yahoo Auction. She got her friend to put in the bid, surprisingly the only bid for it and a very good deal. Then her friend brought my watch to China for a concert and her other friend flew there from Singapore, acting as my Paypal on legs with the TW dollars for the watch.

I just received my watch this evening. My initial excitement quickly dissipated as it felt very ordinary. I said keep it BNIB and sell ii off.

Yet the sneaky simplicity and solid built begin to take a hold on me. Now I just can't bear to take the shrink wrap off the watch! I think I will let it sit in the box until I can't take it any more and put it on. Black croc straps are top of my mind to tone down the cold steely face a notch.

Here's a phone shot of it:
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Product Fashion accessory

The shrink wrap on the watch makes it yellowish and the Japanese took great care to protect every corner of it to deliver a perfect finish watch. Kudos to Seiko!

PS: A big salute to all that took gorgeous pictures of the SCVS003. It was not until when I realize how small the subject matter was do I appreciate your tremendous skills in bringing details to life.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
There is a subtle elegance to this style of watch and I think the Japanese have perfected it. It also takes the right person to appreciate it. Congratulations on your Seiko Spirit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you nhoj. You have a cool and comprehensive blog.

It also takes the right person to appreciate it.
Well my wife calls it an "old man's watch", and it stuck quickly with my kids. Anyway, I not bothered as the watch oozes such beauty and quality.

I can't leave it in the box any longer since I took some time and trouble to get my hands on this. Peeled it and wore it to work yesterday.

Here's the customary wrist shot:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

It sat neatly on my 7" small wrist. I'm very happy with my Spirit!

PS: Didn't manage to get a strap for it as the salesperson rightly point out that a thicker padded straps compliments its thickness better, which he had none.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts