WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello dear fellow vintage watch lovers

I would like to introduce myself, as a new vintage watch lover. Located in Europe, Austria (Vienna) I got infected with the watch-collection virus some years ago and bought at this time some watches, not with a plan to start a collection but just to collect pieces I liked. Included in this "some watches" are to name a few (of the favourites):

Zenith El Primero (Charles Vermot LE)
Sinn 103 St
Fortis Flieger Gmt
Tissot T-Touch Navigator
Omega Geneve Dynamic
Oris Diver Carlos Coste LE

Now, some years after, I got infected by another kind of the same virus: the vintage watch virus - highly contagious as I realize, my specific kind is the omega vintage one. Now I started to buy some of these old treasures, to name a few (I will show them in separate posts) 3x Constellation, 1x Geneve, 1 1950 manual wind.

I am trying now to stop buying and start changing older parts as seen above into vintage omegas - that's the mission: bring some order in my collection.

I am happy reading the wus board now since quite some time and will try to take part from now on. Really appreciating the information available here.

Thanks for reading.

Regars
Palo

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Vintage Omega, that's a slippery slope alrighty, I should know

Welcome to the forum

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

Reactions: Shum

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vintage Omega, that's a slippery slope alrighty, I should know

Welcome to the forum

Matt

But could you define "slipery slope" ;-)

Just not to stumble over some silly things.

I know the "Frankenwatch" Thing, Look careful at the dials, Check the general condition and ask for Box and papers (this is rare as a noticed with Vintage watches).

Would really appreciate good hints as I am newby :)

·
Registered
5,522 Posts

But could you define "slipery slope" ;-)

Just not to stumble over some silly things.

I know the "Frankenwatch" Thing, Look careful at the dials, Check the general condition and ask for Box and papers (this is rare as a noticed with Vintage watches).

Would really appreciate good hints as I am newby :)
Definition of slippery slope

I started with one vintage Omega and now have 30 plus vintage Omegas not to mention the 50 or so other watches, timepieces etc

Matt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definition of slippery slope

I started with one vintage Omega and now have 30 plus vintage Omegas not to mention the 50 or so other watches, timepieces etc

Matt

OMG

I was not aware of the seriousity of this virus ;-)

But isn't it absolutely nice chasing one of the beauties

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
There are levels of franken one come across. I just finished work on a nice Certina DS and it all looked fine but I soon saw that the movement holder with rubber suspension ring was for a DS-2 and so was the split stem. I did swap out the rubber ring for a correct one as the DS-2 ring is slightly bigger and the added pressure on it had started to break it down.

If one don't know the difference it's very hard for anyone to see anything wrong with a watch like that. It has gotten so bad that I'd say stay off eBay and try to buy your watches from people that care about what they are selling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are levels of franken one come across. I just finished work on a nice Certina DS and it all looked fine but I soon saw that the movement holder with rubber suspension ring was for a DS-2 and so was the split stem. I did swap out the rubber ring for a correct one as the DS-2 ring is slightly bigger and the added pressure on it had started to break it down.

If one don't know the difference it's very hard for anyone to see anything wrong with a watch like that. It has gotten so bad that I'd say stay off eBay and try to buy your watches from people that care about what they are selling.
Thanks for your experience helps me a lot.

I am surfing on eBay occasionally but until now I did Not find anything I dared to buy.

I am mostly looking in local market places (online) and Pick Up the watches myself.

This however does Not prevent from buying your example of Frankenwatch.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6P mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
You can always post pictures of potential purchases here and the great wealth of knowledge and experience around here will spring in to action and give you feedback

Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts