WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as you may have read in other threads, I didn't get along very well with the MIRO Riseman and you have probably read my reasons why ...
- buttons jammed-up with sand & had to blow and wash-out
- cheap plastic look to bezel
- excessive plastic contours on the bezel for no purpose
- bulky (but in fairness wearable) on my 6.5" wrist
- difficult to read the time with shadows overlapping the top of the digits

However today was a great afternoon. I happily said goodbye to my MIRO Riseman at the Post Office and picked-up my MIRO Mudman at the Post Office at the very same time.

Fortunately my impressions of the MIRO Mudman on first appearance are much more positive!
- the display is cleaner and easier to read with no shadow problems
- the hexagon pattern on the solar looks very classy
- the black bezel with orange highlights looks much better
- more compact design
- buttons won't fill with sand :)

Here are a few photos ....

·
Registered
37,143 Posts
Congratulations mate. Good to know you're now a happy camper with that one. So I guess no more Risemans for you huh? Anyway that rescue muddie sure is a good looker in that colour scheme. Definitely has more impact. Makes me wonder what the new Rescue Frogman will look like. I really hope it also a nice balance of black and orange on it...

·
Registered
916 Posts
I REALLY like the face. I'm not so sure about the combo of black face with bright orange band. Does it look odd in real life or just in pictures? I just wish that the band had some more black accents or components to it.

Have to admit though that despite the band being bright orange, this watch could easily be worn at work and not make a person stand out like a sore thumb like the all orange MIRO Riseman would. Sorry to hear you didn't like your Riseman. I was actually going to get the MIRO Riseman since I love my black one so much. Now I'm having second thoughts.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I REALLY like the face. I'm not so sure about the combo of black face with bright orange band. Does it look odd in real life or just in pictures? I just wish that the band had some more black accents or components to it.

Have to admit though that despite the band being bright orange, this watch could easily be worn at work and not make a person stand out like a sore thumb like the all orange MIRO Riseman would. Sorry to hear you didn't like your Riseman. I was actually going to get the MIRO Riseman since I love my black one so much. Now I'm having second thoughts.
Hmm ... I had the same thoughts as you! And yes I am still a bit undecided about the black bezel and orange band but I am going to grow to love it :) But the MIRO Mudman does look better in person than the photos, and definately looks like a much higher quality watch than the MIRO Riseman.

The MIRO Riseman looked quite cheap and almost like a $10 petrol station watch with that big chunk of orange plastic. It didn't look as good in person as many of the internet photos.

So the MIRO Riseman looks better in photos than in person.
The MIRO Mudman actually looks better in person than the photos!

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Congrats, bro. Glad you finally ended up with the one that you want. Personally, I still have a hard time getting over the orange candy-looking bands. The GW9010 is a great watch, though. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Was that just for the MIRO Riseman....or for the current model of Riseman in general.
Seems odd that a LE would be substandard over the base model...

And now theres gonna be a Rescue Frogman....guess it gonna be a Orange Christmas !

Fokai

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was that just for the MIRO Riseman....or for the current model of Riseman in general.
Seems odd that a LE would be substandard over the base model...
Most of my concerns would be applicable to the standard black Riseman as well ..

- buttons jammed-up with sand & had to blow and wash-out - YES
- cheap plastic look to bezel - NOT SURE
- excessive plastic contours on the bezel for no purpose - YES
- bulky (but in fairness wearable) on my 6.5" wrist - YES
- difficult to read the time with shadows overlapping the top of the digits - YES

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Firstly congratulations on your new purchase.

I still think it boils down to personal preference.

To me the MIRO mudman is ugly with that display. If only they stick to this display:

Of all the new mudmans released, I still think the Toyota win hands down. But this is of course personal preference.

Enjoy your new watch.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I still think it boils down to personal preference.
:) Yes ... very much so ... I know a lot of people love the Riseman. This seems very unusual to me but, as you said, it comes down to personal preference ;-)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
:) Yes ... very much so ... I know a lot of people love the Riseman. This seems very unusual to me but, as you said, it comes down to personal preference ;-)
This applies to more expensive watches too.

Some people hate the Bell & Ross instrument, but I love it|>

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
They have .. this one ... :-s

Yes, but I am not sure why they redesign a new display for the GW MIRO mudman. If keeping the old display with atomic signal makes it look nicer, why even both to come up with a new display...

·
Registered
35,399 Posts
Yes, but I am not sure why they redesign a new display for the GW MIRO mudman. If keeping the old display with atomic signal makes it look nicer, why even both to come up with a new display...
I guess it's all in the eyes of the beholder...:roll:

·
Registered
747 Posts
:-d Glad to read you like the MIRO Rally Mudman and sorry to read you never took to the MIRO Riseman. I like both my stock issue black Dragon Riseman and Rally Mudman (the 2 best new G-Shock issues of 2008 IMHO).

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, but I am not sure why they redesign a new display for the GW MIRO mudman.
? They didn't redesign a new display for the GW MIRO. They are different MIROs. One is a GW and the other a G. Different features. Different modules. Different watches.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts