WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, long time lurker making himself known.
I currently live in the fine watch town of Schaffhausen, Switzerland and since I moved to Switzerland five years ago, I have developed an interest for watches that seems to go in the direction of passion.
I have a self imposed rule of purchasing only one watch per year (excluding gifts, naturally) to keep the missus happy, and for 2014 I can't for the life of me decide between the following candidates:
1 - Frederique Constant Worldtimer
frederique-constant-worldtimer-silver-dial-blue-leather-automatic-mens-watch-fc-718wm4h6-4.jpg
2 - Longines Master Collection
LonginesL267347839.jpg
3 - Baume & Mercier Clifton
baume-and-mercier-clifton-silver-dial-black-leather-automatic-mens-watch-10052-36.jpg

Now I wouldn't mind picking them all up at once, but then the missus would indeed put me in the dog house, so I need to make a choice. Any input, or other alternatives I might have missed would also be highly appreciated!

Cheers,
HPJ

·
Registered
63 Posts
You have them in the order I would pick by... That Frederique is delightful.

Reactions: HPJ

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Do you travel allot? I can't see #1 unless you spend 300 days a year in or out of airports.
Now #'s 2 and 3....I like #2 best....Great movement (have it in an EPOS) Longines is a mighty fine watch.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd go with the Frederique Constant Worldtimer. Looks fantastic! The Longines looks nice too, though I prefer the FC. I don't find the B&M particularly interesting though.

Btw, quick question HPJ: I'll be visiting Basel, Switzerland next week. Any recommendation on what places are great for looking at watches? =)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Out of those 3, FreddieC for me.

I don't exactly fancy that particular Longines within the Master Collection but if I must, this would be my choice:

118033d1216924729-longines-master-retrograde-when-will-sale-longines-master-collection-retrograd.jpg

This is the only Longines I've been fancying for awhile.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The Longines looks the best IMO

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I like B&M better,more simple,and the Longines comes in 2nd

Anyway,dog house shouldn't be that bad if you get to wear these three ;-)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd go with the Frederique Constant Worldtimer. Looks fantastic! The Longines looks nice too, though I prefer the FC. I don't find the B&M particularly interesting though.

Btw, quick question HPJ: I'll be visiting Basel, Switzerland next week. Any recommendation on what places are great for looking at watches? =)
Basel has of course Baselworld, but this time of the year it's slow. Take the train to Schaffhausen and visit the IWC museum or to Geneva to visit most others.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
The FC for me as well. BUT im not too much for blue straps !!!

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,810 Posts
Welcome to watch collecting! Of the three I would pick the B&M because of it's beautiful yet simple styling. It will look good in a wide range of dress and tbe blued hands and sub seconds display give it a slightly sporty feel. Save the complicated watches for later.

·
Premium Member
32,676 Posts
I have the Longines and it always is fun to wear. The FC would also be a good choice.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I see a blizzard of numerals with the Longines, and the Baume et Mercier looks unresolved in a way I can't quite describe.

Frederique Constant for me.

·
Registered
399 Posts
study the 3 for long enough and one of them should eventually sing to you, that is the one you get, all things being equal.. comparatively, i don't recall if that FC has an in-house movement or not which might be something for you to consider.. if you travel a lot it's arguably your best choice. the longines is very nice as well, b&m comes in third for me. good luck

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Out of the three you posted I like the FC most, but I do really like the look of that retrograde Longines somebody posted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts