WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings everyone.

First of all sorry for my bad English. And sorry if this is a repost.

I bought my Seiko SBDC001 "Black Sumo" yesterday (May 26th) and already (unfortunately hours after the purchase) found misaligned hour marks on 12 and 6 o'clock. To be honest, I'm very disappointed. I just spent my hard-earned USD640 money but Seiko didn't give much effort to have those hour marks aligned perfectly. o|

So, I decided to let go off my Sumo and replace it with non-Seiko diver's watch with the same or better specification (finish, movement, and toughness) and doesn't cost more than USD800. It doesn't have to feature diver's rating, but at least 200m water resistant and good lume with stainless steel bracelet. Automatic movement (hacking) is a must. And since I'm a newbie to this horology stuff I need your suggestions. :-s

vitruvius

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Personally, you can buy 10x the watch in one of the infamous Micro/Boutique brands. Do a little research in the 600-800 range and you will be amazed!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune I know how it feels to put money on something and have it be defected. Im actually going through something similar now. Well, I think you should document it first to help other members here and please share pictures. Also I would like to know how was the after sales service? Did they offer a replacement? Refund? Were they difficult to deal with? Anyway, my recommendation for another diver would be a Steinhart Triton 100 ATM, Triton 30 ATM, or Dual Time or you could also wait for the rereleases from Halios mid June.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I had a blumo with a very slightly misaligned chapter ring. At first, it upset me, but after owning the watch for a week, I decided I couldn't live without it long enough to send it away for repair or refund. To be honest, in this price bracket, I think Sumo is king. It has the finesse, heritage, and robustness to compete with an SMP but at a fraction of the price. I agree with OP that these quality inspection issues should not be so commonplace from such a reputable manufacturer especially for a watch in this price bracket. Having said that, it's still the best watch in the $400-$700 bracket. I would put it above Laguna, Helson SD 42, Benarus Remora, Blue Ring, tortuga.....all watches that I've owned. You do get a lot of watch with the Micros, and they have excellent build quality(overall), but none of them have the elegance and originality that the Sumo has.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Man, I am sorry the misalignment issue impacted your piece. I was concerned of the same issue when I pulled the trigger on my Sumo, but fortunately mine was spot on. I strongly suggest you take the advice above and send it to Seiko for repair because the Sumo is a solid piece. I absolutely love my Sumo and would put it up against a majority of my micro divers. In fact i will more than likely be getting me a blue dial version as well. But if you are set on getting a similar piece and not giving the Sumo a second chance... I suggest you consider the Benarus Sea Snake. The case has 'some' similarity, but as I noted in my review Steve deserves his own credit on the Sea Snake creation. The Sea Snake fits the bill per you requirements..

Here is a side by side comparison. (it just happens I am going with both pieces tomorrow for Memorial Day). .

Good luck.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Personally, you can buy 10x the watch in one of the infamous Micro/Boutique brands. Do a little research in the 600-800 range and you will be amazed!
No offense, but I have to disagree. I have owned a lot of micro brands, and some major players as well. The Seiko Sumo is a stellar watch for the price point. The accuracy, case finish, dial, etc, is all top notch. Switch out the OEM crystal for some AR and upgrade the bracelet and you have one heck of a watch for under $800..

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Was the Sumo BNIB? If so, send it back and get a new one. I have two, both are perfect, so you'll probably get a good one next time.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your QC-problems with your Sumo.I'm very happy with mine, no problems what so ever. I think the Sumo is probably one of the best watches you can buy itn the $600,00 - $ 800,00 priceragne, but like I said "one of the best watches". There is so much choice in this pricerange, all thicking your boxes. Especially in the boutique brands/microbrands you will find watches that you will like. So take you time to search for brands like Halios, Benarus and Helson for example. Just to point you into the right direction, have a look at this list: Listing of Micro-Brand watch companies

Good luck with your search and choice, please keep us updated!

Have a great day!

E|ric

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ah, sorry. I forgot to post my Sumo's photo. I've uploaded it in the #1 post.

After-sales service in my country is miserable. I can't imagine how long I will get my replacement. (And, no, I don't believe they have refund policy. Not in my country.) It's more effective to post a want-to-sell thread in my country's forum with the same (or even more) price I paid. That's because Sumo, and other JDM's, are hard to find. Not to mention the BNIB-and-never-been-worn Sumo I have in my possession. But, I'll try to get information about this defect to the nearest authorized Seiko Sales and Services by the end of the week. Kinda like to hear how they respond to this sloppy QC. :think:

I suggest you consider the Benarus Sea Snake. The case has 'some' similarity, but as I noted in my review Steve deserves his own credit on the Sea Snake creation.
I always love that pilot dial on diver's watches. Especially on that Benarus.

Was the Sumo BNIB?...
It's BNIB. I bought it from a private seller and have it checked by an authorized Seiko Sales and Services.

Maybe consider an Ocean 7 LM-5?
That Ocean 7 is sweet.

Wow, really? 10x?

Anyway, my recommendation for another diver would be a Steinhart Triton 100 ATM, Triton 30 ATM, or Dual Time or you could also wait for the rereleases from Halios mid June.
Nice recommendations.. Thanks

I would put it above Laguna, Helson SD 42, Benarus Remora, Blue Ring, tortuga.....all watches that I've owned. You do get a lot of watch with the Micros, and they have excellent build quality(overall), but none of them have the elegance and originality that the Sumo has.
Which are the toughest watches? Is it Sumo or the Micros?

The Sumo is extraordinary value for the money. Most everything else in the $600-$800 range is ETA and Miyota movements shoved into Chinese catalog cases. The Sumo is a work of art in comparison.
Definitely.

Where did you order your watch, I'm curious?
a private seller in my city

No offense, but I have to disagree. I have owned a lot of micro brands, and some major players as well. The Seiko Sumo is a stellar watch for the price point. The accuracy, case finish, dial, etc, is all top notch. Switch out the OEM crystal for some AR and upgrade the bracelet and you have one heck of a watch for under $800..
Yeah. I have to agree with you. That finish they did on Sumo is spectacular.

There is so much choice in this pricerange, all thicking your boxes. Especially in the boutique brands/microbrands you will find watches that you will like. So take you time to search for brands like Halios, Benarus and Helson for example. Just to point you into the right direction, have a look at this list: Listing of Micro-Brand watch companies
I currently checking their website (Halios, Benarus, Helson). But they lack the unnamed quality I admired in Sumo (apart from their sloppy QC of course).

---
All of you, except Rojote, are all Sumo fans. And I can't blame you. I have to admit that, yes, apart from that sloppy QC, Sumo is definitely the best diver's in its price range. In fact, that's the first reason I bought it. The design, dial and finish is beyond its price.

But, still, I can't accept this sloppiness on a wristwatch.

I rechecked again in this forum and other website. I found that this misaligned hour marks is kinda normal. But, strangely, the owners don't care. You can see what I meant from tintin125's Seiko SBDX001 Review (look at MM300's 12 o'clock lume) and pictures from my country's forum: Black Sumo and Blue Sumo (6 o'clock).

Reactions: ryanveater

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
After-sales service in my country is miserable. I can't imagine how long I will get my replacement. (And, no, I don't believe they have refund policy. Not in my country.) It's more effective to post a want-to-sell thread in my country's forum with the same (or even more) price I paid. That's because Sumo, and other JDM's, are hard to find. Not to mention the BNIB-and-never-been-worn Sumo I have in my possession. But, I'll try to get information about this defect to the nearest authorized Seiko Sales and Services by the end of the week. Kinda like to hear how they respond to this sloppy QC. :think:
I had some issues with a Grand Seiko. Seiko have some issues over here, too, so I was a bit nervous. I contacted Seiko Australia and explained my situation. They took a bit of convincing, but eventually agreed to take the watch and look after it. They sent it back perfect, did a really a great job, so I think if you like the watch that contacting Seiko and asking for help should be your first option. Unfortunately, any product can go wrong. The real test is how the manufacturer deals with problems, and my experience with Seiko has been excellent. Try them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about Christopher Ward c60 trident
C60 Auto Dive Men
or
Certina ds action auto diver
CERTINA DS ACTION AUTO DIVER horademoda.com DS ACTION AUTO DIVER
Another is the famous
Armida A1 or Helson Shark diver
Thanx for your recommendation. But none of them captured my interest. I think I'll have a Benarus Sea Snake that Veatorious mentioned earlier.

I had some issues with a Grand Seiko. Seiko have some issues over here, too, so I was a bit nervous. I contacted Seiko Australia and explained my situation. They took a bit of convincing, but eventually agreed to take the watch and look after it. They sent it back perfect, did a really a great job, so I think if you like the watch that contacting Seiko and asking for help should be your first option. Unfortunately, any product can go wrong. The real test is how the manufacturer deals with problems, and my experience with Seiko has been excellent. Try them.
What? They also did mistake on a Grand Seiko? That supposed to be premium watches, right? Wow. I don't know what to say. If they get sloppy in making that so called Grand Seiko they always brag, how can they make a decent Seiko Prospex? I totally lost my faith on them.

But, after read your experience, I'll try on asking help from Seiko about my Sumo issues.

BTW, did you see my picture above in post #1? What do you think?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts