Summer 2013 Acquisition

• Christopher Ward C11 MSL Auto Vintage

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am budgeting for a purchase this summer... I've narrowed it down to three finalists (I think). As you can see, they have somewhat similar design characteristics, though they all are individual designs to my eyes. The C11 can be had for approximately $700, the 556-A for approximately $1200 (as I will replace the black strap with brown) and the B&R I've seen for approximately $2000. Overall, I think I am most drawn to the B&R, but the C11 really has caught my eye. The smaller size of the Sinn is a bit of a deterrent.

So, my fellow WUSers, what are your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I prefer the Sinn, with the black strap. I'm old fashioned; black straps with stainless, white gold and titanium and brown with gold.

There's just something about the simplicity and utilitarian nature of that Sinn. If I didn't have so many watches that I would like to sell to finance a grail or two, that would be on my short list.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
The CW is very unique. If you like it I suppose it's a good choice for you. I like the tan colors and case shape.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
The Sinn has a design that is more likely to endure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far... The Sinn has the smallest size... Am I going to regret going less than 40mm, or with the Sinn being 38.5 will I even notice? My Fireman Victory is 40mm and it is just about perfect for me.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The Sinn has a thinner bezel than the Ball (differently angled and cut, but appears thinner), therefore, should wear larger.

Your wrist size and, whether it is flat or round, should dictate if it will work ultimately. Here's my Mido 37mm on my somewhat flat 7 3/4" wrist. Looks largish....right?

Mido.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions so far... The Sinn has the smallest size... Am I going to regret going less than 40mm, or with the Sinn being 38.5 will I even notice? My Fireman Victory is 40mm and it is just about perfect for me.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not big on any of those but if I were choosing it would be the B&R. I think most of WUS would tell you to get the Sinn.
Any particular reason behind recommending the B&R? And, so far you're correct - most responses have gone Sinn's way...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Sinn has a thinner bezel than the Ball (differently angled and cut, but appears thinner), therefore, should wear larger.

Your wrist size and, whether it is flat or round, should dictate if it will work ultimately. Here's my Mido 37mm on my somewhat flat 7 3/4" wrist. Looks largish....right?

View attachment 1039174
Looks about right to me... The proportions are right on.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sinn....Again!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Any particular reason behind recommending the B&R? And, so far you're correct - most responses have gone Sinn's way...
I just think it looks nicer. Sinn is the ultimate WIS brand. They make technically great watches. B&R is what WUS would refer to as a fashion brand. Off the the shelf movements with a price tag that reflects something much nicer than what it really is. You can see that in action in your post. The Sinn is a better value at ~$800 less than the B&R.

But whatever the price, I happen to think that many of B&R's non-square watches look fantastic. Before a last second change of mind (to get a Seiko Spring Drive) I almost bought a WW1-92 (and eventually I probably will) because it's an amazing looking watch. The Sinn is small and a little boring IMO.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
$2,000 for that B&R? Nah......

I'd pick the Sinn w/o any doubts.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I say Sinn just because I think they are better watches. period. From what I've heard they are built better, priced better, and above all endure better. You can never go wrong with a Sinn!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Based on design only, I would go for the B &R ... I really like the small second and overall look of the B &R. If you are going for best bang for the bucks ... go with the Sinn.

If the watch is a keeper for sure than chose the one you have a crush on!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just think it looks nicer. Sinn is the ultimate WIS brand. They make technically great watches. B&R is what WUS would refer to as a fashion brand. Off the the shelf movements with a price tag that reflects something much nicer than what it really is. You can see that in action in your post. The Sinn is a better value at ~$800 less than the B&R.

But whatever the price, I happen to think that many of B&R's non-square watches look fantastic. Before a last second change of mind (to get a Seiko Spring Drive) I almost bought a WW1-92 (and eventually I probably will) because it's an amazing looking watch. The Sinn is small and a little boring IMO.
I'll have to plead ignorance and ask what you mean by WIS...
The size of the Sinn is of a concern, as I've said - I have grown accustomed to the 40mm size. Though, I don't find the design of the Sinn boring at all - it is very masculine and from the photos I've seen on wrist, it wears very well. But,you are right in the fact that the B&R is an amazing looking watch. The colors in the Heritage line work so very well together.

Interesting that B&R would be considered a fashion brand. Thanks for the info/opinion as I am learning all the time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I think so too. The Mido bezel is kind of like the Sinn "proportion wise".

How large is your wrist, and, is it a flatty or a rounder?
I am right at about 7.5 inches on the right wrist. Definately flat, I'd say.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts