WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Help building a Poor Mans Marine Master!

37K views 54 replies 12 participants last post by  veggee57 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

Im pretty new to the Watchuseek forums and already gotten alot of help! I was looking at the SKX007. But after looking at more pictures, I saw people modify their seiko divers to look like a Marine Master. I wish i could afford a marine master, but they still cost $2000 brand new?

So i would like to make a a Poor Man's Marine Master. I think there is 2 ways of doing this?

First way by using a SKX007 watch, SKX171 dial face, Samurai Hands, the date will be in White.

Second way by using SKX171 watch, SKX007 Bezel, Samurai Hands, the date will be in Black.

I have some questions, what is the difference between the two watches SKX007 and SKX171? Which one is better stock? Like do they work exactly the same as each other, just different looks? Is the SKX007 and SKX171 same sizes or is one a bit bigger than the other?

If the two watches are the same, i think i will want to build my Poor mans marine master with a SKX171 watch as base. This is because i will only have to add a SKX007 bezel and Samurai Hands. Also the date is Black from the stock SKX171 which i think looks nicer and blends in better than a White date from SKX007.

I am still very new to watches and this will be my first watch and pretty sure i want to modify it like this. Is there someone who can help me build this with the right parts and does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to make this?

I will post the 2 versions i mentioned, the SKX171 base and a SKX007 base. SKX171 is the one with the Black date which i think looks better. SKX007 is the one with the White date.

Thanks!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

See less See more
#3 ·
Yup, same watch under the hood.
If you like the black day/date it's much easier and probably more economical to start with the 171 as long as you can source the watch at a good price.

Will you be doing the mods yourself? The bezel is an easy swap, the hands require a few tools.
Jake B might still have some 171s at a good price. If he does he can probably send you the completed mod.

I used an SKX007 for mine. I have black day and date wheels but haven't had time to install them yet. For now it's fine with the white.

#4 ·
Photoshooter: thanks for the reply and your SKX007 base looks really goood. I do like the Black day/date better so I think i should start with a SKX171. This will be my first watch and i dont know anything about watch modding, so i most likely will want to have someone do it for me. How much does a SKX171 cost brand new and is it hard to get? If JakeB is able to get me a SKX171 for a good price brand new and then help me install the Samurai hands and skx007 bezel, that would be really perfect and help alot! How much do you think it will cost me to have it all done and shipped to me? Approximate price?

thanks!!!

#6 ·
You can contact Jake at dotwatchworks at gmail.com (replace "at" with @)
I contacted him last month and he was out of 171s but I see they are now listed on the 10 Watches site for $180. I'm not sure what it would cost to swap the bezel and install the hands but if you drop him a line he can tell you.

My PMMM has the superdome sapphire with the sloped bezel insert so I spent a little more for that.

#7 ·
Photoshooter, what does the superdome sapphire do and with the sloped bezel insert? better quality, look better and harder to scratch? How much did that part cost you? I am new to watches and dont know anything.. haha so i have alot to learn. I have sent Jake a PM on the forum and hope to get a reponse from him soon. thanks

#10 ·
I've read somewhere on the internet that the Superdome makes you irresistible to members of the opposite sex. My casual observation on my own watch would support this theory.:-d

The Superdome is a sapphire crystal that replaces the stock Seiko mineral crystal. It has a raised dome shape as opposed to the stock flat crystal. The bezel insert is sloped as well to match the curve of the crystal. It is thicker and weighs more than the stock glass so it adds a little bit of weight and a classier (in my opinion) look.

If you go and browse the 10 Watches web store you will find limitless fun ways to empty your wallet. The superdome kit is listed at $85. I'm not sure if there's an install charge. Whenever I order from Jake I usually tend to throw lots of extra things in the cart.

The triple grip bezel is slightly taller than the stock bezel. It's main attraction (for me) is simply that it looks different and adds to the "custom" appeal of modding a watch.

Superdome

#11 ·
Photoshooter: cool picture, i can see the sapphire crystal bumps out a bit, makes the watch pop out stand out more? Does the sapphire scratch as easy as mineral, or it doesnt scratch? For $85 i think ill save my money haha i think the stock mineral crystal is decent?

Also what kind of bezel do you have? a stock one? I dont think i would need the triple grip bezel either. I was looking at your bezel, the numbers are abit fatter/bigger bolder looking than the pics i posted. Did you change your skx007's bezel?

thanks

#16 ·
The sapphire is harder than the stock crystal but know that the stock crystal is no slouch. These watches are over-engineered and can take a beating.

There are 2 parts to the bezel; there's the bezel ring and the insert which has the numbers on it. I have a stock bezel but I have the sloped insert that goes with the superdome kit. Understand that it's all a novelty. Under the hood it's always the same watch. Some of us like a very specific look while some of us just like to go overboard :)

If you took an SKX171 and swapped out the hands and bezel you'd have your basic PMMM. From that point on anything else you add is dictated by your wishes and your wallet. Also realize that none of these changes are permanent. It's very common for someone to do a mod and then go back and change it a few months later.

Jump in, have fun and let your budget be your guide. If you plan on a specific strap or bracelet don't forget to budget for that as well.

Photoshooter: cool picture, i can see the sapphire crystal bumps out a bit, makes the watch pop out stand out more? Does the sapphire scratch as easy as mineral, or it doesnt scratch? For $85 i think ill save my money haha i think the stock mineral crystal is decent?

Also what kind of bezel do you have? a stock one? I dont think i would need the triple grip bezel either. I was looking at your bezel, the numbers are abit fatter/bigger bolder looking than the pics i posted. Did you change your skx007's bezel?

thanks

#12 ·
I tried building a wanna be MM. I used the a skx007 with a yobokies scubapro dial but i did not use his hands. the hands do not match. with the help of the seiko forum, i found a guy that sold authentic MM hands from the netherlands i believe. the hands are the key to the MM look if you ask me. it really did look like a MM after all the parts went together. i ended up selling it after a few months though. but you know how that goes.

good luck.

#19 ·
I tried building a wanna be MM. I used the a skx007 with a yobokies scubapro dial but i did not use his hands. the hands do not match. with the help of the seiko forum, i found a guy that sold authentic MM hands from the netherlands i believe. the hands are the key to the MM look if you ask me. it really did look like a MM after all the parts went together. i ended up selling it after a few months though. but you know how that goes.

good luck.
That would be Rob from Monsterwatches.
He does a lot of mods, you can try and shoot him an e-mail.

He made this for a customer once:

Or this out of the 031:

#13 ·
#17 ·
russter, very nice!!

Jake B. just built one of these for me a couple of weeks ago. He used the base 171, triple grip bezel, sapphire crystal with AR coating, and Samurai hands. Here's the picture he had listed for this watch but the one pictured had MM hands. The Samurai hands look very similar. All the particulars are listed and Jake is as good as it gets to deal with.

#14 ·
russter: that looks awesome!!! Cool so yours had the samurai hands, and yes in that link it shows the marine master hands. I think the samurai hands look better ? What do you think? Its because the samurai hands are a bit more pointy and seem to match more. The marine master hands tip is kinda dull and not as sharp triangular. How did you like the triple grip bezel? I wonder should i get that as well? And is the sapphire crystal alot nicer? Its pretty amazing you got all this done for about $300. Great work and very nice watch for a good price!!

#15 ·
It's just all opinion about which hands look better but I'm very happy with the Samurai hands. Yes, they are a little more pointy. The triple grip bezel is quite unique ( I would definitely get it) and the sapphire crystal really adds a lot to the watch. My photography would not do it justice so I won't even try but from what you say you're looking for I can't imagine you wouldn't be happy with this watch.

#18 ·
i am having a hardtime to decide if i should get the sapphire crystal or not. i dont know how the crystal looks like stock on a skx171, and not sure if would want the sapphire crystal. If the sapphire crystal is that much better, it would be good to get jake to finish it all for me now so then i wont add the sapphire later on.

#26 ·
John, i am pretty sure i will love the watch very much, so i believe its best that i have the first one modified to a PMMM. I could buy a skx007 stock and wear it for few months to get the feel, but then i will have to later find a buyer to buy my watch, then have to buy another skx171 to build a PMMM. Think that will be alot more work money and time. So i want to go the route and build a PMMM right away! :)

#27 ·
mitadoc, it will cost around $300 depending what extra parts you add i guess.

i dont want to buy a skx007 and wear for few months then sell... because its gonna be hard. I wanted to buy an SKX007 before and had about 5 people private messaging me to sell me theirs... its a very common model i guess and everyone wants to sell it and i dont want to be the same later. I will jump in and get a PMMM for my first watch!!

#31 · (Edited)
mitadoc, it will cost around $300 depending what extra parts you add i guess.

i dont want to buy a skx007 and wear for few months then sell... because its gonna be hard. I wanted to buy an SKX007 before and had about 5 people private messaging me to sell me theirs... its a very common model i guess and everyone wants to sell it and i dont want to be the same later. I will jump in and get a PMMM for my first watch!!
$300 for mods plus $150 for the watch is nearly (with $200) to the Sumo....I just don`t get it.If you like this mods-keep going!For me they are just not reasonable.

#29 ·
timetellinnoob, any pics of your PMMM? and what mods did you have on it? i dont see the point for myself to have both a seiko skx007 and a pmmm, i will most likely wear the PMMM, and i would sell the 007 to get some money back lol. if u not short on money then sure keep the 007 too

#30 ·
The point to me is to just have 2 similar watches... The stock one is the 'tough' one, the PMMM is the refined one... The case may be the same but everything else is different (well... not the chapter ring). Here's mine, the pic that Harold took:

Noah/JakeB's superdome kit and bezel, with Harold's dial, hands, bracelet and assembly. I was a bit hasty when I ordered her, as I went with Harold's dial instead of waiting on what was in my 'original vision' for the watch. Sometime within the next couple months I plan to further upgrade the watch by getting the dial changed to an SKX171 dial in the future. Then it will be it's purest form. =)

Attachments

#33 ·
timetellinnoob, your PMMM looks very nice. How do you like your triple grip bezel? Do you have any wrist shots with your PMMM.. would like to see how the triplegripbezel looks like when on your wrist. I think i am liking the more simple clean look from 'photoshooter's pmmm with the regular stock bezel.

#45 · (Edited)
I like it because it's just different from the SKX. I like having both bezel looks, they change the whole profile. It's similar to the stock one in that it's pretty shiney. But on a PMMM that's not a bad quality. I think it would look awesome completely matte blasted or brushed if someone were to go that route. Wrist is 6.75", I wear it pretty loose and floppy. Cell phone pics, cause that's all I have... =)

Attachments

#36 ·
photoshooter, is the superdome sapphire on your watch the same as the one from this picture? In this picture it looks like the edges of the sapphire is like cut in at an angle, is it using a different sapphire crystal? I am liking the smaller font on the bezel insert of this one though and i think its a black bezel with white text? On your curved bezel, the font is bigger and is it a dark blue with silver text? Do do you have any pictures of your watch from the front so i can see the front of your watch more clearly? Thanks

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Blue Strap

#38 ·
photoshooter, is the superdome sapphire on your watch the same as the one from this picture? In this picture it looks like the edges of the sapphire is like cut in at an angle, is it using a different sapphire crystal? I am liking the smaller font on the bezel insert of this one though and i think its a black bezel with white text? On your curved bezel, the font is bigger and is it a dark blue with silver text? Do do you have any pictures of your watch from the front so i can see the front of your watch more clearly? Thanks
The pic you posted is the "standard" domed sapphire. It's not quite as thick as the Superdome. The bezel on mine is black with silver markings.

Stock 007 on the left, superdome on the right (before I swapped the dial and hands).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.