WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking to purchase a new vintage watch, I am going to be very honest, I know very little about them. I currently have a 59 omega speedmaster that I love. Was possibly thinking a vintage Rolex but would like to spend less than 1500, any ideas or suggestions on what I should get?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you have a speedie, do you prefer more than just a standard 3-hander watch? Rolex does make plenty of styles, you'd need to narrow down what you want in a watch. I understand it's a fun thing to do, getting a Rolex from your birth year.

I'm sure you know that the big R is probably the most commonly copied watch in history. The most recent issue of Watch magazine had an article on fakes, they said that there are far more fakes created than real Swiss watches. Please ask for help here if you are unsure. When I was in the French quarter of Hanoi last year, every vendor had an Explorer or a Datejust in their pocket to sell me...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey guys, I am looking to purchase a new vintage watch, I am going to be very honest, I know very little about them. I currently have a 59 omega speedmaster that I love. Was possibly thinking a vintage Rolex but would like to spend less than 1500, any ideas or suggestions on what I should get?
In that price range, you should be able to get a nice stainless Oyster Perpetual, or an AirKing without too much trouble. Complications add to the price fairly quickly. If you want a manual wind, or can be content with a smaller (32mm) size, prices for Oysters and SpeedKing models are somewhat less.

It's fairly easy to identify the date of production with Rolexes from this era, as the quarter of the year and the last two digits of the year are stamped inside the case back. Just ask to see the movement and inner case markings and you should be in the clear regarding fakes as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In that price range, you should be able to get a nice stainless Oyster Perpetual, or an AirKing without too much trouble. Complications add to the price fairly quickly. If you want a manual wind, or can be content with a smaller (32mm) size, prices for Oysters and SpeedKing models are somewhat less.

It's fairly easy to identify the date of production with Rolexes from this era, as the quarter of the year and the last two digits of the year are stamped inside the case back. Just ask to see the movement and inner case markings and you should be in the clear regarding fakes as well.
Ive found this one, pretty sure it's legit, help needed to confirm.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts