WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it's great to be back. While I usually restrict myself to collecting early American railroad watches, I've recently come across some money and decided to buy at least an 18th century verge fusee or perhaps an older one. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start. What should I look for besides overall appearance? How would I go about observing the quality of a fusee movement? Any help is greatly appreciated.
These are some listings which I've stumbled upon:

Wm Howard English Pair Case Fusee Watch, 1759 : Expert Clock Repair in Saratoga, Glens Falls, Queensbury, Lake George & Northern New York
Infanger German Fusee Watch, Late 1700’s : Expert Clock Repair in Saratoga, Glens Falls, Queensbury, Lake George & Northern New York
Edward Box English Pair Case Fusee Watch, 1795 : Expert Clock Repair in Saratoga, Glens Falls, Queensbury, Lake George & Northern New York
http://www.tickytoys.com/0009_1777_Fusee.php

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,886 Posts
I am sorry but I can't help you there. The one thing I would say is that you should bear in mind that these things are entirely hand made. Which means that if anything is bust, the replacement will also have to be entirely hand made!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just finished a book called Collecting and Repairing Watches by Max Cutmore, which has quite a bit on old fusees. I only skimmed that part, but if you can find a copy around, it might be worth it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Omega, I believe Amazon carries that book. And Hartmut, thanks for replying. I do think that the early fusees are quite reliable, as I always seem to stumble upon them in working condition (or so they claim).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts