WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I ordered my PO from Ace three weeks ago and it was set to arrive today. I was quoted by Dimer the price with free shipping and no vat, and that was what I paid. Unfortunately, my tv was too loud and I missed it when UPS was at the door. I received a note stating the normal sorry we missed you and they will return monday. But in addition to that, it says I owe a C.O.D. amount of $81.82.:-s Why would I be charged this? The text on the note says checks should be made to the sender, but the driver hand wrote on the back of the note to make the check payable to UPS. What's going on here?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I would say it is to pay for the storage of the parcel, and the re-delivery of it.
However, it could also be that the wrong amount of postage was paid on the item, and you need to make up the difference.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say it is to pay for the storage of the parcel, and the re-delivery of it.
However, it could also be that the wrong amount of postage was paid on the item, and you need to make up the difference.

cheers,
Jake.
That's the thing, Dimer never charged me for shipping, it was free.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I just called UPS to set up a pick up for me to come get the package tonight and I asked about the charge, It turns out it their "Brokerage Fee." WTH $81 for a brokerage fee!? I am a little pissed but I guess the deal I got on the watch sort of made up for it.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
So I just called UPS to set up a pick up for me to come get the package tonight and I asked about the charge, It turns out it their "Brokerage Fee." WTH $81 for a brokerage fee!? I am a little pissed but I guess the deal I got on the watch sort of made up for it.
Seems a little steep, but if you have to pay it, you better had!
Please post some pictures of the watch when you get it!

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I heard about these kinds of fees with UPS or FedEx. That's why I try to have packages sent to me via USPS or the equivalent in the country the package is coming from.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
UPS as a private courrier also acts as a customs broker for international transactions. The brokerage fee is what they charge to get the watch cleared through customs on your behalf (mostly doing the paperwork). It is usually a percentage of the package value. I don't know US law, but maybe the 81$ is also including some duties and taxes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPS as a private courrier also acts as a customs broker for international transactions. The brokerage fee is what they charge to get the watch cleared through customs on your behalf (mostly doing the paperwork). It is usually a percentage of the package value. I don't know US law, but maybe the 81$ is also including some duties and taxes.
Thanks for the explanation!

Anyways everyone, here's the update:
Finally, it has arrived!

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
My guess is that UPS paid the customs charge on it and is now passing on the charge to you. I had to pay Fed-Ex for customs charges when I bought my Stowa. Oddly, they didn't charge me until a couple of weeks after it was delivered (sent me a bill).

·
Registered
79 Posts
My guess is that UPS paid the customs charge on it and is now passing on the charge to you. I had to pay Fed-Ex for customs charges when I bought my Stowa. Oddly, they didn't charge me until a couple of weeks after it was delivered (sent me a bill).
That is what it sounds like to me, if customs decides there is a duty to be paid your carrier pays it to expedite the shipment, otherwise it would held in customs until you pay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts