WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two Hanhart Military Chronograph watches that were my father's. Unfortunately, he didn't tell me much about them. One of them works perfectly and the other seems stop after a few minutes. I am looking to see how old they are, their history, what model and maybe the approximate value. I have taken the back plate off one and there is the number #13019 engraved in the watch itself. On the back plate there is some very light engraving on the inside, which is 9.4.62 D and nothing else. The other one says "Germany" on the dial below the 6. And has "Germany" and "Hanhart" engraved inside the back cover and in the watch mechanism. Also engraved in the mechanism of the watch is the word "Unadjusted" and a number #15263. They look to be the same watch except for the differences mentioned above.
Thank you all so much for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
It might be a 1940's Hanhart double button pilot's chronograph that was made for the German Luftwaffe during WW2. Hanhart was one of the leading German producers of chronographs in the ‘30’s and ‘40’s and their examples were extensively used by fighter pilots of the Luftwaffe. But I think that it is more likely from 1957 Which is the second link i will provide.

Here is a link: Luftwaffe Watch by Hanhart

Or it could be this which I think is more Likely: http://heuerville.wordpress.com/tag/hanhart/

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi,

these are post war Hanharts made in the late 1950' or early 1960's - Hanhart 417. The distinguish mark of the war-time Hanharts are the asymtetric Pushers, no englisch words on the dial and of course the movement.

They look like 417ES (Edelstahl) with a steel case or the plating is still very fine. From the steel version were build 500 pieces and Steve McQueen had one: The Story Of The Hanhart 417 Chronograph: Steve McQueen's Other, Other Watch

Worth? Steel up to 2,2k EUR and 1,6k EUR for the plated model in working condition, especially the fly back function and no reluming - for government issued ones.

EDIT: these two watches are civilian models and not Luftwaffe Air Force issued ones. The prices for civilians are not so high as the government ones.

Nice watches! I am still searching for one;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hello,
I appreciate you writing and giving me some information on the watches. I read the articles you referenced and then looked at mine to see how they compared. I have to believe that they are stainless steel. The face of the dial says "antimagnetic", which they seem to be. I don't see any wear spots that reveal anything except for the pushers and the winder are worn and show some brass. I revised my post with some new information I learned today, check it out if your interested. I want to make sure I know what I have so that I don't over value or under value them when I so sell them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I supose also that both are made of steel because they do not show signs of wear or rubbing compared to the crown and pushers.

I guess the movement needs an overhaul and works again.

Unadjusted is an indication for an Import to the USA. All imported movements were marked with unadjusted and completed in the States due to import tax and regulations - I am not 100 % sure, but something like this.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Please make sure that any further discussions re possible transactions are done through the Private Message system. Click on the member's name to see the PM icon. Thank you.;-)

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,422 Posts
EDIT: these two watches are civilian models and not Luftwaffe Air Force issued ones. The prices for civilians are not so high as the government ones.

...and all this goes to show that there are too many factors involved to give accurate value estimates via the internet!!!

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
353 Posts
That's true. A value could be easier estimated if they are BUND (Property of the German Federation). Interesting is the one with the GERMANY signed dial and unadjusted. I have never seen a clearly marked Hanhart for the US market.

I once had a MIMO which was an export to the USA and marked the same way;-)

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
outstanding watches garygintof:-! thanks for sharing

1 - 12 of 12 Posts