WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gents,

I have decided to buy a 2 Tone watch (Gold and metal) since i Like gold but not too much (will not wear an entire gold watch). Currently I have 2 models I came across and I would really appreciate your help choosing the best out of them or perhaps you can recommend another piece with the same characteristics. These are the main thing that are important to me:

* Price - Should be around 800$
* Movement - should be swiss Automatic
* Diameter - 38-43 mm
* and of course a 2 tone watch+ Bracelet with gold and metal colors
* A brushed dial face is an advantage
* I have no problem wearing Chronograph watches as well

these are the model I currently found:

1. Certina DS First Day Date- C014.407.22.031.0
Certina.jpg
2. Mido Multifort- M005.430.22.031.02
M005.430.22.031.02.jpg

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
TT isn't so popular around here but either of the above seem nice enough - I think I'd go with the Certina for the textured dial - I like.

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,877 Posts
I'm leaning toward the Certina although I like the bracelet on the Mido better.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
I had that mido and loved it, used to get tons of compliments even from people who have seen me wear all my other watches. I just couldn't get comfortable enough with it to relax and not worry about rubbing up against tables or desks or laptop to avoid scratches on the gold. Hence why I love plain old SS. The PVD coating cant take the abuse. Next time I'll go for solid gold instead of PVD.

·
Registered
11,833 Posts
Okay, I know it's not Swiss, but for the money it's easily the equivalent of a ~$1k Swiss watch. I have the steel version with white dial, and it's much nicer than this picture would indicate. Anyway, here's another one to think about. Of the ones you post, I'd go with Mido.

WZ0021DE-1.jpg

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Stainless steel + copper (or rose gold) actually looks quite decent. It's the stainless steel and normal gold that looks so flashy.

What i'd kill for is black DLC and copper two tone. My Baby-G looks like that and it looks brutaly awesome. The black and copper goes so great together...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Of these two, I would go with the Mido. I like that style bracelet better than the double row link style. Both look like nice watches though.

·
Registered
29,221 Posts
I had the Mido and the bracelet is really sweet.

The really nice feature is that the gold is not too "blingy', but more stain or brushed texture/patina, so it looks much more conforming with the brushes stainless steel surfaces.

I too got alot of nice compliments on it, as the two-tone look is a love it or hate it deal with most.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot guys,

Did any of you who had a 2-tone gold watch can indicate if the gold is fading or getting lots of scratches after an every day use?

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
Stainless steel + copper (or rose gold) actually looks quite decent. It's the stainless steel and normal gold that looks so flashy.

What i'd kill for is black DLC and copper two tone. My Baby-G looks like that and it looks brutaly awesome. The black and copper goes so great together...
Stainless and yellow gold is flashy but pink gold isn't? I always thought pink gold the flashier choice.

But it's really just a matter of what's in fashion. Come back in a few years and everyone will be wanting yellow gold again.

What I don't like is plating that is worn through. At this price point, get a watch on a strap and then take care of it.

Rick "whose college ring is yellow gold and nobody thinks it 'flashy'" Denney

Reactions: sirgilbert357

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Stainless and yellow gold is flashy but pink gold isn't? I always thought pink gold the flashier choice.

But it's really just a matter of what's in fashion. Come back in a few years and everyone will be wanting yellow gold again.

What I don't like is plating that is worn through. At this price point, get a watch on a strap and then take care of it.

I think yellow gold is flashier than pink/red/rose gold.

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
Thanks a lot guys,

Did any of you who had a 2-tone gold watch can indicate if the gold is fading or getting lots of scratches after an every day use?
If it is PVD or electroplated, it will wear through, and sooner rather than later if you wear it every day. That's especially true for the bracelet, which will get desk abuse. The coating thickness is 5-10 microns at this price point.

Gold-filled watches of days gone by, and pricier plated watches, will be 20 microns, and sometimes much more. The "gold-filled" process leaves a harder surface, too.

Solid gold will scratch--it's much softer than steel. But it acquires character when that happens.

My two-tone watch has a solid-gold bezel and a brown strap--one strategy to minimize visible wear. I also have many watches and don't wear it every day.

Rick "gold has a price tag one way or the other" Denney

Reactions: eyfz

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
I think yellow gold is flashier than pink/red/rose gold.
Geoff, it wasn't that way a couple of decades ago, and that pendulum will swing back. All the high-end gold watches these days are rose gold, and eventually people will see that as the flashy alternative, and show-offs will want it. Then those who don't want to so obviously show off will go back to yellow. It's like hemlines. I'm currently enjoying the third miniskirt fad in my life.

Rick "older" Denney

·
Registered
6,386 Posts

Honestly I feel the same way. I really don't get why these color combos are flashy to some. I also really don't get why two tone just isn't that popular. I wish it were more so -- then I would have more choices. But that's OK, I'm pretty happy with the way my collection is shaping up at this point.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts