WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, hope I have the right forum here, but anyway I could use some help choosing a new dive watch (for kiteboarding, sailing, diving, not a desk diver haha), spending about $250-300. In the past I've had a few cheaper analog quartzes (Edifice, etc), and after couple of battery replacements by a local jeweller the seals seem to give up so they're no good to me anymore. With this in mind I'm looking mainly at watches with solar, kinetic or auto movements, pretty much anything that doesn't need to be opened very often and will really last the distance. I had my heart set on one of these http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Mens-Watches-Kinetic-SKA427P1/dp/B001QEIO1G until recently, but I've since heard some horror stories about Kinetic capacitors needing to be replaced after only a few years at significant cost. Solar divers seem fairly rare (and have caps in them too), and I'm not really enthused about the accuracy of automatics. Then again I only have experience with cheaper watches, so perhaps now that I'm looking at slightly more pricy stuff having them opened every now and then won't be a problem? Or maybe I need to find a new jeweller! But yeah if you guys could give me some input that would be great thanks.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek!

A few of the more well known Forum goers have that exact watch, and they have all said that it a great piece. I remember reading something about the capacitor failures being a thing on older versions only, but I am not sure. I think if you love it, you need to buy it! If you decide against it anyway, check out Citizen Eco Drive. I have had a few and they are truly wonderful.

Cheers!
Mike

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Seiko SKX007... a classic and then money left over for straps to customize it your way. I recently joined and quickly made it my first purchase as a wus member... I threw it on an orange modena strap and it looks awesome, lots of compliments, plus it was very affordable for the budget.

I have an ecodrive too and they are really solid watches. They have some divers that are pretty B.A. too... everyone loves the ecozilla because its a monster.... Amazon.com: Citizen Men's BJ8050-08E Eco-Drive Professional Diver Black Rubber Strap Watch: Citizen: Watches

but check out this one... been eying it myself: Citizen Mens Eco-Drive Promaster GMT Diver - Black Dial - Black Rubber Strap BJ7065-06E
Citizen also has one that is the exact same style only non GMT which is 50 bucks cheaper or so...

Check out island watch theyve got lots of options.... Ordered my skx from Marc and it was fast and reliable with great prices

cb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seiko SKX007... a classic and then money left over for straps to customize it your way. I recently joined and quickly made it my first purchase as a wus member... I threw it on an orange modena strap and it looks awesome, lots of compliments, plus it was very affordable for the budget.

I have an ecodrive too and they are really solid watches. They have some divers that are pretty B.A. too... everyone loves the ecozilla because its a monster.... Amazon.com: Citizen Men's BJ8050-08E Eco-Drive Professional Diver Black Rubber Strap Watch: Citizen: Watches

but check out this one... been eying it myself: Citizen Mens Eco-Drive Promaster GMT Diver - Black Dial - Black Rubber Strap BJ7065-06E
Citizen also has one that is the exact same style only non GMT which is 50 bucks cheaper or so...
Yeah that ecozilla looks really nice, only thing that bothers me about it is that it seem quite thick (18mm). I was kinda worried about that even with the seiko (14mm) in terms of catching it on things while sailing/fitting in wetsuit sleeves etc etc, never owned a watch that thick before. Then again I guess if 14-18mm is the usual size for dive watches it can't be that big a deal? Thanks for the input.

Welcome to Watchuseek!

A few of the more well known Forum goers have that exact watch, and they have all said that it a great piece. I remember reading something about the capacitor failures being a thing on older versions only, but I am not sure. I think if you love it, you need to buy it! If you decide against it anyway, check out Citizen Eco Drive. I have had a few and they are truly wonderful.

Cheers!
Mike
Thanks Mike, good to hear that problem seems to have been solved, I'll do a bit more homework just in case though. I've taken a look at the Citizen ones but none of them really grab me like the Seiko. I'm usually a function over form kinda guy, but gawd help me I am a sucker for that dark IP finish!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://home.global.co.za/~pnel/Negative.htm
Links please?

I own that exact watch and love it.
Basically just googled 'seiko kinetic problems' and read through the list. After further reading though it seems that mike is correct and it was an issue on older models. As someone who owns one, how dark is the finish? In some photos it looks totally black but in others it's a more titanium like sheen. Cheers.

·
Traser, Aquadive, & Dive Watch Forum Moderator
6,403 Posts
Here are a few options for you...

For about 200 more...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not gonna lie, the Boschett in yellow looks amazing, but 200 more is pushing it for me unfortunately. As for the Monster, as I said I'm not a big fan of autos cause of the accuracy issue. I think its either the Seiko or the ecozilla for now. Though I was thinking about getting a second nylon strap for whichever one I get, any recommendations there? Thanks for all your input so far guys.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Delta,

Welcome to the forum. Just wanted to add my two cents. I too just joined WUS and it has proven a great source of information. I originally was a big fan of Citizen eco-drives due to the combination of quartz movement and solar power which seemed to equal low/no maintenance. I do own a couple and so far they have lived up to their billing (a diver and a dress watch). Unfortunately, I was sucked in by the WUS vortex and began to align with the warm and fuzzy feeling you get with the pure mechanical artistry of the automatic movement on your wrist. To that end I have started slowly with a Seiko SKX 007 (from Island Watch) and I love the watch and the accuracy. I think its a great tough watch. Next on my list....DAMN YOU WUS......is a pilot watch, probably Laco.

Good luck!

G

·
I have just recently bought the Seiko BFK SKA427P2 myself, after many recommendations from fellow WUS members. I absolutely love it too, the Ion finish is more of a very dark metallic gunmetal grey colour and looks awesome IMO. I've found the rubber strap to be very comfortable straight from outta the box, and accuracy so far (it's only been a couple weeks) spot on. The power reserve indicator function is nifty too.
The price on ebay is right in your range too, here's a link to the company I bought mine from: Seiko Men's Kinetic 200m Scuba Diver SKA427 SKA427P2 | eBay Easy and hassle free purchase straight through. I am very impressed with the overall style, finish and spec of this watch and would recommend it to anybody looking for a "tool watch" at a reasonable price. Just for reference, this same watch retails in Australian stores for $695.

Hope this helps you, cheers.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm not gonna lie, the Boschett in yellow looks amazing, but 200 more is pushing it for me unfortunately. As for the Monster, as I said I'm not a big fan of autos cause of the accuracy issue. I think its either the Seiko or the ecozilla for now. Though I was thinking about getting a second nylon strap for whichever one I get, any recommendations there? Thanks for all your input so far guys.
Don't assume all autos are inaccurate. My black monster was almost dead on for a year straight, gaining and loosing a second or two every now and then. Currently it's gaining almost ten seconds a day (and it's taken a beating in my line of work) but I don't wear it as long everyday because I cycle through two other watches, both 30+ year old Seiko automatic divers that have been regulated and run about +3 per day. I'll probably regulate the BM when I install a sapphire crystal soon.

I love not having to worry about electricity in my watches.

If you can grow to love the Black monster it's an amazing watch for the $$$. If not, the SKX007 is a decent second choice, just without the domed crystal or super lume of the BM.
Good luck deciding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Alright, I'm going to pull the trigger on the BFK, and grab a NATO strap for it as well. Thanks for all your advice guys!

EDIT: One more question! Which online store would you guys recommend I purchase from? I was looking at skywatches because their prices and shipping seem reasonable, but if anyone has a better alternative...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts