WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post after registering only last week. There is a wealth of info on here and in my innocence I never realised that there are so many brands of watches!

Like all of you I love watches and have a few such as an Omega Seamaster, and old Jaeger Le Coutre from the 60s (don't know a lot about that one!), a Tissot PRC200 and some Casios and Citizens. I even have my first watch a little old Timex from about 40 years ago that unfortunately has stopped working. Not a big collection by any means but a nice set of watches to alternate.

As I have the Seamaster which I love I am looking for a cheaper diver watch to interchange with the Omega. I don't have a Seiko and am looking at the various options at the moment.

There appear to be a couple that catch my eye - the SKA369P1, SKA371P1 and the SKX007 or 009. I see that the SKXs have quite a fan base on here but my preference would probably be to have the crown at the 3 o'clock position.

I also came across for the first time the Steinhart brand and in particular the Ocean 1 - not sure what the difference is in the ceramic and non-ceramic apart from cost. It seems quite a new brand and I'm not sure of the build quality and / or support if there are issues. Are they also genuinely made in Germany?

The third option is one of the Citizen Eco Drive Promaster Series but I am not sure how it would stack up to either the Seiko or Steinhart.

I know I've covered quite a few different brands and apologies if the first post is a bit long winded or ignorant of facts.

Any help is much appreciated.

Al

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The Seiko's are solid choices I have an older ('94 I think) SKX 007 that serves well, just recently had it serviced again and put an aftermarket dial and hand set on it to give it a different look.

As far as the Steinhart line they are made in Switzerland for Steinhart in Germany. The O1 ceramic has a ceramic bezel insert instead of the standard aluminum, that's the only difference. They have a good reputation on here and I own the O1 GMT with the red/blue aluminum bezel. I love it, great build quality for the price. Service from Steinhart is good as well, though they are a little back logged at the moment.

The Citizen Promaster dive series is a solid choice as well, your question really boils down to which one you like better. And whether you want a quartz or mechanical movement under the hood. Again, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Just added this one to my stable (I have a Seamaster as well) and initial impressions are nice.
Solid, nice weight, looks sharp, Swiss automatic. It ticks all the boxes for me and I do recommend it.
Comes in both 38mm and 42mm. Black, blue, khaki, and orange..
Pictured is the 42 on my 7.25" wrist.
Happy hunting!
Chris

Trident Collection View All Men Men

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
If you don't mind the homage qualities of it (which would bother me), the Steinhart Ocean 1 is quite a bit of watch for the money being a Swiss movement with a ceramic bezel insert.

Have you looked at the Stowa Seatime?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
That is a sharp watch, but too bad it has a Myota.

If I were you, I would check the Helson SD40 out...

Welcome aboard by the way. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, there are some great choices out there. The Trident looks lovely and sesm about the same cost as the Steinhart Ocean 1.

Out of interest I tried on the Seiko SKA511P1 and it looked massive on my wrist. A nice looking watch but jsut a tad too large!

Al

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys, there are some great choices out there. The Trident looks lovely and sesm about the same cost as the Steinhart Ocean 1.

Out of interest I tried on the Seiko SKA511P1 and it looked massive on my wrist. A nice looking watch but jsut a tad too large!

Al
the skx 007/9 might be better size wise, but all good watches/brands you've looked at so far. which ever out of those you pick you'll be happy with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts