WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The next watch i'm looking at is the Seamaster AT 150M.
Specifically I'm looking at the black dial version (220.10.41.21.01.001). I currently have a few blue dial watches, and i'm also potentially looking at the version Daniel Craig wore in Spectre (231.10.41.21.03.003). Even though that model specifically is no longer made and hard to come by.

The point of this post is to get some opinions. I'm almost 100% set on the black dial mentioned above, and would like another black dial watch to compliment other clothing choices.
My understanding is that a blue dial AT is pretty iconic, so should i look into a different black dial watch or is the black dial model still a worthy piece to own?

I'm also looking at the black dial planet ocean with orange bezel. However i don't see it being as "dressy" as the black dial seamaster so the orange bezel would be more of a sports watch to me.

i know all of this is common knowledge and i feel i'm rambling, so let me know what you all think. Would sticking to the black dial AT 150M be a solid choice? What about white also, or even grey with blue hands? I do feel however those two choices, limit what i can wear the watch with.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Welcome to F20.

The black dial AT is a solid choice, particularly if you have a few blue dial watches already. The blue is iconic and they can be found relatively easily in that Spectre reference.

The orange PO is another great reference. A fun choice as part of a collection, but no way dressy. Perfect for the weekend trip to the beach.

The white dial AT is a beauty too. Takes on an almost silvery shimmer in some lights. Best thing would be to head to an AD or OB and try all the AT's on that they have. An orange PO would be tough unless you have a grey market dealer nearby who has one in stock.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There are numerous colours and options with the AT range now, so you have plenty of choice.

Ultimately, don't worry what other people think are iconic, get what you like. You won't go wrong with any choice (though if it comes with a bracelet, you can always take it off and go NATO etc - buying a bracelet if you don't have one will cost lots).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
There are numerous colours and options with the AT range now, so you have plenty of choice.

Ultimately, don't worry what other people think are iconic, get what you like. You won't go wrong with any choice (though if it comes with a bracelet, you can always take it off and go NATO etc - buying a bracelet if you don't have one will cost lots).

·
Registered
184 Posts
As many have already said, go with what you personally like the most. When spending this much on a watch don't try to fill a gap in your collection, go with what feels best.

Having said that, you can't really go wrong with any of the ATs. I just purchased the grey dial on a rubber strap. It's a great watch but definitely more on the casual side and (as a guy who is in a suit daily) the rubber doesn't wear as well with a suit as I had hoped.

I would offer that you should get the model with the dial/color you like the best on a bracelet and then source whatever straps you would like with it. If it turns out that you don't get a black dial variant and want a black dial watch, there are plenty of really great cheaper watches that you can fill that gap with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As many have already said, go with what you personally like the most. When spending this much on a watch don't try to fill a gap in your collection, go with what feels best.

I would offer that you should get the model with the dial/color you like the best on a bracelet and then source whatever straps you would like with it. If it turns out that you don't get a black dial variant and want a black dial watch, there are plenty of really great cheaper watches that you can fill that gap with.
The good thing is that a black dial watch can be worn with just about anything, and while i agree with what you mean by not trying to fill a gap in my collection i think having a black dial AT that can be worn with literally anything fills my gap perfectly since my current "higher end" blue dial watch is a sportier TAG. Maybe down the line i'll go after the Spectre variant blue dial to "fill a gap" if i want a classier blue dial. We all know these watches aren't cheap, so trying not to have three Seamasters, two of which are almost identical other than dial color, in my collection. But, having three AT's wouldn't be a bad thing! :)

i will definitely go try multiple versions and colors on, but i think this thread has solidified my choice in the black dial.

Reactions: NMGE17

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
With the blue seconds hand?? Pics please!

Having said that, you can't really go wrong with any of the ATs. I just purchased the grey dial on a rubber strap. It's a great watch but definitely more on the casual side and (as a guy who is in a suit daily) the rubber doesn't wear as well with a suit as I had hoped.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I went for this option as its close to the new grey SMP colour scheme and I wanted a sporty watch that could also be dressed up and thats where the AT excels. The best thing of all about the AT is they are strap monsters. They will take any strap, even a nato and they look great. Mine is sadly going to be the victim of my "watch illness" and is probably going to have to go to fund another watch but the AT range is a hugely underrated watch. As much as I love the SMP, I cant get past the bracelet dropping off the lugs due to the thick case. My second choice would have been the white dial and black indices version. Sounds bland but its really really stunning in the metal. Definitely take a look at that option as well. AT daytime bracelet.jpg

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
PS, if you are considering the rubber strap. Buy it on rubber and add the bracelet. The reverse of what were usually told. That rubber is crazy money. If youre pricing it up, make sure the price includes the bars and clasp. I almost bought mine on bracelet as the initial price I was given for the rubber was around £200. Its WAY more than that!

·
Registered
184 Posts
With the blue seconds hand?? Pics please!

Here are a few
1053322967_1573751090179.png 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191109155024574_1573751125501.jpg 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191109155044597_COVER_1573751163740.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts