WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this elida 7 jewelste 2 adjusted trench watch, looked on net didn't find much info, any info appreciate .

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Hi there,

the "red 12" is pretty precisely restricted to the 1910s.

When wrist watches became popular, people were still used to have the 12 of an open face watch at the crown. And as we today read the correct time even from a dial without digits or markers, back then nobody cared for the digits, but just read the hands in relation to the crown. But for a wristwatch the 12 at the crown is pretty uncomfortable and therefore designers decided for the red color of the 12 to put attention to this "wrong" position.

But wrist watches had a furious start, and already in the late 1910s, the red 12 was no more than a fashion feature, and was even applied to pocketwatch dials, where it is completely senseless. And as fashion changes pretty frequently, this was the death of the red 12.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,638 Posts
Not sure I’d be so bold as to say the red 12 was restricted to the 1910’s as I have examples from the 1920’s and even into the 1930’s but on the whole I’d agree that lumed red 12’s are mostly restricted to the 1910’s.

Nice hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts