WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, so any help would be appreciate. I received a tudor royal watch as a gift (description below), and need help dating it or getting some more info.

thanks in advance!

bob
THE WATCH IS APPROX 31MM DIAMETER - NOT COUNTING THE WINDER. IT IS MARKED "TUDOR ROYAL SHOCK RESISTING" TO THE METALLIC DIAL & HAS A SWEEP SECONDS HAND. IT ALSO HAS THE ROLEX CROWN SYMBOL TO THE WINDING CROWN.+

THE CASE IS STAINLESS STEEL, MARKED TO THE INSIDE " DENNISON MADE IN ENGLAND FOR ROLEX DENISTEEL" AND IS NUMBERED 12879 - 8017. THE MOVEMENT IS MARKED "TUDOR 17 JEWELS SWISS MADE"

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
According to the Rolex-Tudor history book I reference, Tudor was launched in 1945. So it can't be any older than that. Due to what appears to be a lack of an Oyster crown & tube configuration, and the dial and hand design, I'm going to guess this one at late '40's to early '50's.

The case being made in the UK probably has to do with customs duties being imposed after WWII for items made outside the UK. There were similar issues with Rolex in the USA, causing bracelets to be made in the USA and fitted to the watch case in the 50's-early 60's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts