WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought a core last week and then found this forum, after a lot of reading I then bought the ambit 2 wo/hr unit.

First a little background about me, I am an impulse buyer and love gadgets. I am pretty active and my work involves a lot of walking and physical movement. I don't exercise other than some treadmill use. I enjoy the outdoors and used to camp a lot but not lately, so the watch is purely for my enjoyment. It will be for daily use

About the watches:

Core: I like the looks, size and weight as well as the negative display. As for functions I like the storm alert, the trend indicator on the main display. I'm starting to understand the function of the barometer as I am in a fairly level areas I leave it set to baro mode and set the alt reference. The compass is just ok and purely for fun for me as I have hand held compasses and gps. I like the battery even if I have to change it yearly.

ambit2: much bigger in size and weight, the display is easier to read in negative but not as black as the core. The latest update added sunrise/sunset and other stuff I won't really use. I did set up two exercise modes one for walking outside and one for driving which is more of a novelty as the display is too small to safely use while driving. I am still undecided about having to charge it as one would be required to have a power source available every 30 days or less depending on use.

Both of these watches are no more than four months old from mfg base on the serial number. Are there any bugs, issues of malfunctions with either of theses.

im just not sure the cost of the ambit2 justifies the functions i will use. Core $223.00 vs ambit2 $450.00 plus tax.

i think that while righting this I have decided on one but would love to hear opinions from more experienced users

Thanks

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Well, if you like gadgets......keep them both and keep going.....I have Quest, T6, Ambit2 black, Ambit2 Sapphire, Elementum Terra and I still want a Core, X6M ss and a Protrek PRW3000.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ambitkid

Based on your Username, I also believe you have decided which one you prefer.

Otherwise, you could have called yourself Corekid!

My advice, as with pjc3, keep both!

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
This is the wrong place to ask which one you should drop LOL... I have 4 Vectors, 2 Cores, X Lander, Yachtsman, Observer, T3, X9. E I E I O. lol.

Honestly I think there is room for both in an outdoorsmans kit. PERSONALLY if I could only have one it would be the Core. Then again, I'm becoming less and less a gadget guy and I don't have an Ambit to compare. I just don't think one NEEDS a GPS watch... but there's that can o worms to ruminate over LOL.

But since you say the are only for "simple use" I say save some dough and stick with the Core. Plus who wants a watch with a big fat pregnant belly of an antenna on it... LOL

(Puts on my nomex suit and hides in the corner awaiting my flaming like a good mod). :")

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
This is the wrong place to ask which one you should drop LOL... I have 4 Vectors, 2 Cores, X Lander, Yachtsman, Observer, T3, X9. E I E I O. lol.

Honestly I think there is room for both in an outdoorsmans kit. PERSONALLY if I could only have one it would be the Core. Then again, I'm becoming less and less a gadget guy and I don't have an Ambit to compare. I just don't think one NEEDS a GPS watch... but there's that can o worms to ruminate over LOL.

But since you say the are only for "simple use" I say save some dough and stick with the Core. Plus who wants a watch with a big fat pregnant belly of an antenna on it... LOL

(Puts on my nomex suit and hides in the corner awaiting my flaming like a good mod). :")
I agree Ambit2 is a nice looking watch except for the thickness, but just knowing what that watch can do more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
From a pure aesthetic standpoint, I really love the "mesh" looking band on the Ambit all black version, but aside from that prefer the Core all black in every other respect. The antennae on the Ambit is kinda weird, but I put up with it because the watch is awesome and I wear it when I actually need to use the GPS functionality. If you really don't need GPS for any particular sport/mountaineering application, I'd just stick with the Core, I like how it sits much lower on the wrist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts