WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was passing by a watch shop and saw this in a corner of the regular G-Shock display, set apart from the others and looking dusty and forlorn. I thought it was just ok, because I don't like metal strap G-Shocks but I asked the shop guy if I could see it because I liked the metal crystal protector on it. When I got it, I was surprised at the hefty weight, but then when I turned it around, I realised it was a screw-back - no wonder it was so heavy. Wow! Never knew there was a model like this.

This watch must have been there a long, long time, there was lots of dust on the crystal and there were some scuff marks on the bracelet due I guess, to long storage time on the display stand. Everything else was good and it still had the plastic covering on the back, just old or NOS.

Sadly, it is made in Thailand and not a Japanese screwback but I bought it anyway. The guy wouldn't budge on price no matter how I insisted that it was old and dusty - so in the end I left the shop SG$240 (USD$166) poorer.

When I got home, I couldn't find this model in the 2007 G-Shock bible. I checked the net and the closest I found of the model that looked like this was a DW-5000D-8DR. So is this correct? Does anyone have this watch. What is the history and release date?

Anyway, wish it wasn't a metal bracelet cause I won't be using it. If I can get a silver resin strap I'll swap it, or if it doesn't speak to me, I'll Bay it. Sorry for the long story, here are some pics I took at the shop. Will post more later :-!.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
One word - outstanding! :-!

·
Moderator G-Shock Forum
21,587 Posts
GameBoy2Go,

When it was released I have been thinking of buying this model, but it was not cheap and at that time mainly focussed on the late 90's G-Shock's. Although that are still my most loved G-Shock's, my horizon has been broadened (obviously there should be something wrong with the spelling...) and I think I wouldn't have slipped the occasion if I had the chance. Metal DW-5X00 models are rare. I can only think of the black metal GW-5600 model. This model has never become a cheap one, mostly I have seen prices from around $200.- in the times the US$ was more steady.

Cheers,

Sjors

I think you have made a great score for a good price. Wear in good health!

Cheers,

Sjors

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Man, that is a good score, I was just thinking about this model a couple of days back, and the dust on the watch confirms the vintage!!

Price is high but I think you have a keeper there.

If I found this one in the stores, I might remove the crystal protector, back in the 80's I did not fancy G-Shocks because of that, but I know you and many others would prefer this original part.

Forlorn-looking watch is a good excuse to bring 'em home!

You probably cleaned it up real good, gave it food, water and shelter, so do post pics soon, I'm looking forward to it!

Congrats on a great find, GameBoy.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GameBoy2Go,

..and I think I wouldn't have slipped the occasion if I had the chance. Metal DW-5X00 models are rare. I can only think of the black metal GW-5600 model. This model has never become a cheap one, mostly I have seen prices from around $200.- in the times the US$ was more steady.

Cheers,

Sjors

I think you have made a great score for a good price. Wear in good health!

Cheers,

Sjors
Thanks Sjors, sometimes we knock our heads for not buying that G-Shock when it was easily available, yes? The problem I have now is the metal bracelet, I hate metal, makes my wrist itchy, so I hope to find a replacement silver resin bracelet if possible, but I know this is almost impossible. Last choice is a normal black 5600c bezel and strap since this is easy to get. I will decide soon ;-)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Forlorn-looking watch is a good excuse to bring 'em home!...

Thanks Pat, I know you like the classic 5600 shape so I figured you'd like this too. The imagery is a little exagerated I know, but I tell you, the bugger looked really sad, placed as he was, apart from the newer G-Shocks.

So what the hell, I'll give him a home for the time being until I decide to do something about the metal strap. Wish I could find bezel and strap like the one below, but I don't think the non-screwback bezel and strap will fit the screw back model, sigh!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I dig metal bracelets, and would buy that in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
370 Posts
i have one of these too... a great score indeed :-! what a steal, i love it for its smart casual looks. :):):):-d

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have one of these too... a great score indeed :-! what a steal, i love it for its smart casual looks. :):):):-d
Hi JoHN5,

That is so kewl. Is this model easy to get over there and what is the price like? How much and how long ago did you get yours? If it is easy to get and good price, Sjors might make a trip to Malaysia, lol.

Anyway, this model super solid dan berat ya? Could you post pics of yours please. I need some convincing about the metal straps. Is it comfortable? I'm allergic to metal, get rashes but could be psychological too because the first watch I ever got as a kid was a Cheap Mickey Mouse Metal Watch that made my wrist turn green, so phobia ever since ;-)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Gameboy, that's pretty interesting - as far as I know, stainless steel allergies are extremely rare, as the nickel, etc. in good stainless steel can't really come out. Have you tried wearing high-quality stainless watch bracelets before?

Nice find with that watch, too. That's a good investment, even if you never wear it :-!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gameboy, that's pretty interesting - as far as I know, stainless steel allergies are extremely rare, as the nickel, etc. in good stainless steel can't really come out. Have you tried wearing high-quality stainless watch bracelets before?

Nice find with that watch, too. That's a good investment, even if you never wear it :-!
Hey TTT, yes I figure it is psychosomatic. I have a SS Rolex Sub but wear it like only 2 or 3 times a year and only because I have to. As you know, that watch uses the highest 904 grade quality steel, but when it's on my wrist, I feel like they are starting to itch and can't wait to get it off, whereas I could use a resin G-Shock like forever. I almost sold the sub recently but decided to keep it at the last minute, mainly because my girlfriend almost killed me when I told her I wanted to get about 12 Frogmans for it ... :-d Girls just don't get it, sigh!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great find GameBoy :-!

I've got the DW-5000BL-2JF

cheers,
Hi kpatt, yeow!!!, that is nice, love the blue borders and lettering. That is the Japanese domestic release right? From what I've read, mine is the export model for outside Japan, so no wonder it's not in the bible but yours is.

Is this one made in Japan or Thailand? Do you think the normal 5600e bezel and strap would fit this screwback or do I need to get a 5600c type bezel?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yep, it's the Japan model.

I think the DW-5600E bezel does fit.

There was a discussion about this a while back and I think the consensus was that they were the same as they use the same module and the buttons are in the same position. The 5600C has the buttons in slightly different positions, which is the main reason the cases aren't interchangeable.

I don't have the watch with me at the moment to make sure though, so I'll get back to you.

It's a great model in any configuration :-!

·
Registered
370 Posts
hey i saw that you've posted it on the bay.... sigh. why don't you just keep it as an heirloom??? :) personally i find it fairly comfortable, as comfortable as my edifice with a metal strap but i just feel it's so much more cooler because it really is so rare to find something so retro yet formal looking. anyways, good luck on the sale, hope it goes to a good home.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I'm hoping to get it :).

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey i saw that you've posted it on the bay.... sigh. why don't you just keep it as an heirloom??? :) personally i find it fairly comfortable, as comfortable as my edifice with a metal strap but i just feel it's so much more cooler because it really is so rare to find something so retro yet formal looking. anyways, good luck on the sale, hope it goes to a good home.
Thanks JoHN5, but I really like to wear the watches I buy, and this one wasn't going to get any wrist time because of the metal bracelet. I figured that I should just let someone who is really going to use it to get it. G-Shocks are meant to be worn ya. Also, I'm hoping to make a little dosh to fund other G's that I will wear. :-!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I'm afraid of how much extra cash you'll make :-s

Just kidding :-!.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts