WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Was going through some recent stuff I hadn't catalogued and this fell out of the bottom of a baggie, a Spendid in absolutely top condition and with rocking of the movement is working but is missing its stem.

A very pleasant looking piece on its original unblemished expanding bracelet and I would love to get this one up and running if poss.

Any help gratefully appreciated :)

IMG_20200513_114137.jpg

Also quick question - Mortima Superdatomatic, works super well, winds well and rotates freely but runs slow, loses about half an hour during the day and its +- adjustment is at max + so do I now have to look at the main regulator to gain more adjustment? The movement is in very clean order so just wondering without having to strip down if I can regain some accuracy via main regulator.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,159 Posts
That looks like a nice watch from the late sixties, probably with a fairly mundane movement (possibly a 17 jewel pin lever since they make so much of the "Antimagnetic" on the dial). If done up (case cleaned, new crystal, serviced), it would run quite well but as to whether that is worth it would depend on cost and quality of movement.

As for the second watch (Mortima Superdatomatic), it sounds like it needs a rather good service! Pushing the regulator over even further won't do any good (and it sounds as if that might even not be at all possible).

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you on both counts, I have ordered a big pile of watch stems off ebay with the hope one will fit hehe, a few pounds and a bit of time.

I rather thought the Mortima would need a stripdown, still not competent enough to the rebuilderising part hehe I have been taking apart and rebuilding a Vostok 2234 movement for practice but its slow slow progress so it will have to go live in my naughty box for a while.

If I oscillate the Spendid it does tick and move properly so the worst worry of a stuck or broken balance isn't an issue, I am guessing the Swiss makers worked to a reasonable pattern part for the stems?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, this is proving a bit more troublesome as its one of them whole movement/case back that is snapped to the movement with a cutout for the stem and I can get the whole unit out of the case but can't see how to get the caseback off and I am being uber uber careful as I don't want to rip off the dial or something.

I ruined a Sekonda quartz this morning by my hamfistedness, luckily I found another movement dial and popped it in but still such a noob lol

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,159 Posts
Then it might be a monocoque (single shell) case. In which case, you would have to get the crystal off with a proper tool. Not worth trashing it - you would have to get the tool or see a watchmaker who has one.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've dug out two good 1960's Swiss Avia's caseless movements with busted balance pivots which both have their stems intact, would it be worth seeing gingerly if one of these fitted? I also have a Newmark and another one which seems to have the same sort of dial style and size etc, I just don't want to jam something in and then its totally ruined.

I am a bit of a knowlessman but have learned enough to put stuff down, put into a little plastic lidded pot and put out of reach for another day, I got today in the post a big black and gold square Sekonda with the same sort of "shroud-over" case (if there is a special name for these types of cases I do not know it sorry), I need to dewind the Sekonda as its badly overwound but again no purchase to slip a lever in to pull the caseback off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts