WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

I'm looking to buy my first dress watch (versatile would be best) that won't break the bank ($500-1000 - can go a bit higher but would prefer this range).

I'm not looking for anything too loud or ostentatious where the brand name adds a 50% premium (a bit of brand recognition would be good though), mainly just a nice good looking and quality watch that will last and is elegant in it's own right.

Would prefer

40mm and leather band.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Are you looking for a mechanical watch? If so, the Stowa is a great option. Other good values in that price range would be Victorinox, Hamilton, Oris, and Seiko SARB series.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you looking for a mechanical watch? If so, the Stowa is a great option. Other good values in that price range would be Victorinox, Hamilton, Oris, and Seiko SARB series.
Is there any real difference between mechanical and automatic? I'm no aficionado if you can't tell haha

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Is there any real difference between mechanical and automatic? I'm no aficionado if you can't tell haha
Mechanical means it needs no batteries. It's either automatic (there's a rotor that turns as you move) or manual wound (you wind the crown to run it).

That said, I also suggest Longines, Frederique Constant.

If you can add a little, Nomos Glasshute.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mechanical means it needs no batteries. It's either automatic (there's a rotor that turns as you move) or manual wound (you wind the crown to run it).

That said, I also suggest Longines, Frederique Constant.

If you can add a little, Nomos Glasshute.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
Alright, automatic/manual doesn't bother me that much (might be ignorant on that front...)

Is there much difference between Longines and FC? I always thought Longines was one of your higher price/prestige brands

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Excellent choice! FC is on my radar as a brand. I'm starting to see several pieces from them I really like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts